Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys_kuhar

Exterior paint color help needed!

marys_kuhar
2 years ago

Hello!

our Lake Cabin in WI needs a new coat of paint and would like to freshen it up and modernize as much as possible.

We joke that it looks like a dollhouse right now! Not a bad thing but could use some updating.

the decorative trim is staying so I’m having a tough time imagining colors that will work with it. Do I call it out with white trim and a dark paint? Or not and use 2 more similar colors?

would love your thoughts and ideas on color schemes.

thank you!

mary

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO it is that trim that will keep it from looking anything but a dollhouse . Why does it need to stay? Please at least get rid of those shutters they do not work at all. I think a nice sgae or grayed green would be a great color for the siding and the garage then a good clean up of the landscaping so we can see the front door door If a new garage door is in your furture get one with some windows in it.The color in this pic is what I am talking about , but that trim needs to go

• Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Love love the charming trim, glad you’re keeping it. Your house has so much character!

I think the trim can go light or dark, it’s just preference.

The next ones don’t have scalloped trim, but the color schemes would still work …

If you want to embrace the whimsy. ;)

Anyway, the choices are limitless … just treat the trim as any other and use colors you love.

• Sheila Rowan
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Mary, normally I don't approve of nonfunctional shutters. But in your case I think the dollhouse trim is cute and unusual, sort of a European ski chalet look; if it were mine, I would keep it and play up its quirkiness. I think your siding needs to be more of a grayed brown, not so reddish, so that it will go better with the roof and the brick of your chimney. Then you could use the sage green that Patricia suggested for all the trim. (But I would paint the garage door the same color as the siding because it's not something you want to emphasize. I also like the idea of adding windows when it's time to replace it) It looks as though you have a picnic table on your deck; I would paint it sage green also, and maybe add some Adirondack chairs in the same color, and little cone-shaped evergreen trees in the planter boxes. Is your front door on the deck, or could you show us a pic of where it is? It's already a charming house; just be sure to try out large samples of paint in different lighting conditions before you make a final decision on color.