Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nekotish

Dear Evan Hansen

nekotish
2 years ago

One of my daughters is a musical theatre fanatic. She performed in high school and now teaches drama/theatre in high school. Thanks to Covid, we have not attended a musical theatre production for over two years. My daughters bought us and my sister tickets to Wicked in Vancouver for my retirement. It was cancelled and we got a refund and that money sits and waits until we can again attend a live production. Anyway, today we saw Dear Evan Hansen in a movie theatre. First time inside such a place in over 2 years. I know there has been contraversy over the movie, but I thought it was well done and delivered a powerful message. The lead actor, Ben Platt, I found to be believable as an older high school student, but for one or two short instances where his five o'clock shadow was evident. Long story short, I appreciated the message of the movie and had a wonderful afternoon with my daughters. Has anyone seen it?

Comments (14)

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I wouldn't risk going to a movie theatre at this time. Covid is still alive and well where we are.

ETA: We got our booster shots today and I'm feverish :o(

• bpath
    2 years ago

I have not seen it. Back when it opened on Broadway, Ben Platt was on Today and sang ”You Will Be Found” and it was a three-hankie song for me, without any context! I don’t think I could make it through the show.

Like the movie version of Grease, were none of the actors could pass for high school students but the film is still a lot of fun, I would hope that Dear Evan Hansen can overcome that issue.

nekotish thanked bpath
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

We saw the play in NYC around the time it first opened, and all loved it. I guess it was w Ben Platt, whoever the sensation was, idr the name. Very powerful.

We would def consider seeing the movie.

nekotish thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

I haven't seen previews of the movie, so looked it up. Thanks for the recommendation.

@mtnrdredux_gw Ben Platt was Evan on Broadway. I recognized his name, but had no idea his work has included so much, and only 28yo. Lots to catch up on.

nekotish thanked Allison0704
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Never heard of it...looked it up..not really a cheery story is it. Pass. My #1 daughter is also a Theatre lover after leads in high school and college productions she now performs in as many community theatre productions as possible. It's been soooo long since we have been able to enjoy one of her performances. This fall she will be in Elf and we can't wait to attend!! I hope you get to see Wicked sometime it's a MARVELOUS musical!!

nekotish thanked arcy_gw
  • User
    2 years ago

Saw it on Broadway. Cried like a baby. I hate to cry. Still loved it.

nekotish thanked User
  • salonva
    2 years ago

I am not a movie goer in normal times.

Pre-covid, I would go maybe once or twice a year to a movie theatre and some years not at all.

I didn't see the play but have several friends who saw it and raved about it. I didn't know it was made into a movie. Glad you mentioned it because I would be interested to see it.

nekotish thanked salonva
  • User
    2 years ago

We decided not to see it based on the review in the New York Times.

For some reason Houzz is not allowing me to post a link to the review. The upshot is that this movie in some ways trivializes teen mental health and the reviewer says it made her cringe.

nekotish thanked User
  • cawaps
    2 years ago

I saw it, thought it was very powerful. Julianne Moore as Evan's mom singing So Big/So Small hit me hard (I reminded me of things my daughter said when I separated from her dad).

I will say, though, that I'm probably going to avoid tear-jerkers until I can go to the theater without a mask. You'd think it would be okay, but it'snot, when you can't blow your nose.

I saw my first movie in the theater back in June, and have seen 9 movies total since then. I go to matinees or I go Monday-Thursday evening when theaters are less busy, and I avoid opening week. Usually there are less than 10 people in the theater I wear an N95 mask. It doesn't feel particularly risky.

I had tickets for Hamilton for April 4 of 2020. I think they are still in my wallet to make me sad when I need to pull out cash.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

I haven't seen the movie and will probably skip it based on the bad reviews. Evidently, Ben Platt was AMAZING in the role he originated on Broadway. Even though he was in his early 20's and playing a 13 year-old, older actors can pull off younger roles better on stage then film, imo. (The distance and all that,) My understanding is that his father was the director of the film, so that may explain the surprising choice of a 28 year old to play the role of Evan. (An aside, I heard Ben Platt intervied by, I think, Terry Gross on NPR. It was a fantastic interview.)

• Bookwoman
    2 years ago

jojoco, Evan Hansen is supposed to be 17, not 13.

• jojoco
    2 years ago

I didn't realize that, Bookwoman. thanks

• nekotish
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm surprised at the negative reviews. Is it a feel good story? Not entirely, but neither was Les Miserables or Love Story or The Diary of Anne Frank but i'm not sorry to have seen any of them... I really don't see that it trivializes teenage mental health issues, because I feel that anything that brings the issue to the forefront is helping in a small way. My daughters had a friend whose younger brother died by suicide when they were in high school and I so admired the parents who never hid or downplayed the fact that he took his own life. In fact at the memorial, the father tearfully begged any of the kids there (there were over 1000 people and probably 1/2 of them were high school students) to call him or his wife, day or night, should they ever feel that they didn't have anyone to talk to.