Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jilljimmom

If I wax soapstone countertop can I assume no oiling is necessary?

jilljimmom
2 years ago

Anyone who has waxed their soapstone please share your views. Once waxed does oiling soapstone become unnecessary?

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

I have never done anything to my soapstone. Why take a no-maintenance counter and spend time doing something? Since it doesn’t absorb anything, you are just putting oil or wax on the top-it doesn’t sink into the soapstone.

jilljimmom thanked remodeling1840
  • julieste
    2 years ago

I too have never oiled or waxed my soapstone. And, I just made a new interesting discovery. Glass cleaner (I used Sparkle) removes grease spots and splatters with virtually no work at all.

jilljimmom thanked julieste
  • Tia M
    2 years ago

I tried both oiling and waxing because I wanted to speed up the process of darkening my counters (bathrooms). I was not happy with oiling as it seemed spotty and uneven. I did find a waxing product on Amazon that I have been very happy with but to be honest it's not necessary at all. My decision to wax was only to darken the look of the stone.  The soapstone has been bullet proof. I have teen daughters going through a hair dye phase, nail polish, flat irons, hair gel, mouse, lotions, oils, perfumes, etc. The countertop has been zero maintenance even with the heavy use in their bathroom and to my surprise the guest bath with minimal use looks the same. I can't comment on kitchen durability but I don't think you need to do anything to the surface.

jilljimmom thanked Tia M
  • julieste
    2 years ago

Just yesterday my fabricator told me that waxing will produce a more shiny finish while oiling will give more of a honed or matte finish. True or not true?

• brdrl
    2 years ago

Diana - That link is an ad for Caesarstone… I‘ve had soapstone for 6 years. There is ZERO required maintenance. I oiled or waxed occassionally the first 2 years becasue i liked the look. Either will provide the same finish but the bees wax blend lasts longer. I haven’t done it in years though. They have darkened over time ”naked”. Aside from not wanting or needing to oil, I roll out dough directly on counters and want a completley clean surface - becasue the oil or wax sits on top (non porous stone) the dough can pick it up in trace anounts. i love soapstone!

• chispa
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yeah, I was going to say that the last place I would go for feedback on Soapstone would be the website of a quartz manufacturer! Don't you think they might be a bit biased?

• micheleliveshere
    2 years ago

We've had our soapstone for 6 months and I'm still swoony in love. I've waxed it twice and it looks great, doubt it'll need waxing for a long while.