Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evegiven0

Has a stoneyard ever called and made you decide right away on a stone?

evegiven0
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We've had 4 Taj Mahal slabs (from 2 bundles) on hold for about a week. I told the owner our interior designer needed a few weeks to come by (that's a whole different story) and she said no problem, we'll put them on hold. Well, they called Friday and said someone's here who wants to buy two of the ones you have on hold, we need a decision by Monday. We drove by this weekend and there are 8 slabs with multiple hold tags. Why do we have to give up *our* hold? Maybe the others have paid? They don't allow shopping through a bundle, you have to take the ones at the front, so it's not that they want our specific two or anything, a hold just gets you 2 from that bundle.
Is this normal? This is the nicest, most respected stoneyard in town but I feel kind of like if you tell someone you'll hold it you should hold it.
Thanks!

Comments (9)

• Memphis Forrest
    2 years ago

In our neck of the woods in order to hold your slabs you need to make a deposit on the slabs that’ll get you 60 days hold. Otherwise why shouldn’t the yard sell a slab that has no deposit. Maybe your designer she’s up and talks you out of Taj Mahal the the stone yard is out the money

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    2 years ago

The "hold" you want is on 2 different bundles of material; that's a big potential problem for the stone yard. You want them to hold material (inventory) for weeks on end waiting on designer to assess. They likely have other clients that may want to select from either bundle and the cannot move forward on any of them. Pick the bundle you like best, and wait on designer's input; how different are they?

• PN _Bos
    2 years ago

I would never expect anyone to hold anything for a few weeks, especially with no deposit. Maybe a day... 48 hours - tops.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Would you complain if they delayed delivery "a few weeks"?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Really your designer needs to get their s--t together no one holds stuff for that length of time with no commitment but I also would not shop at a stone yard that does not allow access to all the slabs avilable not just the ones in the front.

• stiley
    2 years ago

I've been shopping for Taj for several weeks. One stone yard here will hold it for 30 days, another one for 10 days. But I think people place things on hold and then forget about it when they find another slab they like. Maybe they're calling you to see how serious you are about the slabs? I've had a hard time finding slabs that I like, with the finish that I want. I think Taj is popular right now so you've got to jump on it when you see what you like. It's a big investment, and the countertop directs other design decisions like backsplash, so I'm surprised your designer isn't quicker on checking it out. Can you let your two go and hold the next two in the bundle?

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

If you consider the value of an inventory of slabs, you can appreciate why the distributor doesn't want to forgo an opportunity to sell any one of them.

We are typically asked to provide a deposit to hold any slab for a client.

• chispa
    2 years ago

I was the person on the other side a few years ago. Found 3 slabs of TM that I liked, but the whole lot 9 slabs was on hold. I told the sales guy that I would pay cash right there for the 3 slabs. He said he would call the people that were holding them and let me know the next day. Got a call the next day that the 3 slabs were mine. I guess whoever had them on hold didn't want them that much to actually put money down on the deal!! No money to be made by having a large part of your inventory on hold.

• User
    2 years ago

Money talks. If other people have paid, you’re the loser No way would I expect a stone yard to hold beyond 48 hours unless they have a prior financial relationship with your fabricator.