Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l_m_w

Poll: Will supply chain disruptions impact your holiday shopping?

Lindsey R.
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Coastal Living - Allison Ramsey Architects Holiday House · More Info

With the supply chain disruptions, will your holiday shopping plans be impacted this year? Do you imagine your purchases will be different from previous years?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes, plan to shop earlier
Yes, will only buy items that are available when I need them
Yes, will opt to gift experiences vs. physical goods
No, no impact
Other (tell us in the comments below)

Comments (18)

• sushipup2
    2 years ago

Like Patricia, no gifts for adults, and cash/gift cards for teens. I give my son and his wife a large check. We share a fancy holiday dinner. I send out about 50 or 60 cards, most to a long-standing exchange group. I use the cards that I receive as decorations. The whole season is stress-free and pleasant.

Lindsey R. thanked sushipup2
  • Aphaea
    2 years ago

Earlier this year I had a kind of startling realization, that gifts were stopping as of this year (and going forward). It's not due to money, though money is tight after buying my home. Nor is it due to pandemic supply difficulties. Rather, like Patricia and others, I have reset my thoughts on one of my two favorite holidays. What I did was realize that when I want something I will buy it. So do all the other adults in my life, hence no need to buy for others. (There are no chlidren but even if there were it would be no different. Gifts are no longer part of my holiday season unless it's a dish I want to share.)

Instead when I plan to do is write each person a personal letter, telling them how much they mean to me and sharing some of my memories of the two of us. The envelope will say "Do not open until Christmas" because those will be my gifts and I want them to enjoy them on the day.

I am interested in seeing what will happen with the supply chain and if it matters at all. If I was worried about it, I'd either make gifts or buy them from etsy or fair trade online stores or other "off the beaten path" stores or shops.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

Covid changed the way we celebrated Christmas last year. Since we couldn't get together I baked apricot crescents (apricot filled pastry that my mom baked every year) and gave a dozen or two to each household. My sisters and I used to bake them together, but it is a long process and my oldest siblings just can't do it anymore, so we will still get together to make some cookies and easier recipes, but I will bake the pastries and let them just enjoy eating them. I have also gotten a few requests for some of my other special dishes from a few of my nieces and nephews.

I still will get a small gift for a few friends who don't have any family left and will help a few families out so that they can have a nicer Christmas (young, with kids and tight finances) and will get something small for a few people who have helped me out throughout the year. I have never done the Christmas rush shopping. I look for things all year and when I see that special something that I know one someone will love I buy it and put it away for Christmas. I have all the gifts I need and a few spares in the spare room closet.

Lindsey R. thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • Belahn
    2 years ago

Like Jennifer, I shop all year long and when I see something that I know someone would love, I get it and give it to them for Christmas. I'm finished with my shopping. And I like the ideas of some people who have just stopped with the gift giving. I still like to give, but I no longer take requests! You get what I want to give you.

• motownmom
    2 years ago

Christmas will be a bit different this year, in good ways and sad ways.

I've shopped earlier, but this year it will be more about putting together a very large basket of things they love to eat, or treats I make that they expect. That way, they are mostly left with just the baskets, matched to their home decor, which everyone always needs to store "stuff" at home. I did pick up some Christmas ornaments that go along with their decor as well to include in the baskets.

I love to cook and bake, so in preparation I'm putting together my folder of "Holiday 2021" recipes for Christmas. It will include an excel spreadsheet of what day and when I'm making each thing once schedules are arranged, LOL. It includes the pecan rolls and sugar cookies my Mom used to make, which she enjoyed when she lived with us. She passed away in our home at 90 years old, in August of this yea..... so for our family it will be bittersweet, but we'll talk about her when we make and enjoy them. I gathered her clothing for donation, but kept behind one pair of her pajamas to wear Christmas morning.

I also ordered Christmas ornaments for each my kids with pictures of them, separately, with my parents when the kids were little. They were the lights in my parent's older years, and my kids adored them.

• wenas5
    2 years ago

Like some, there are no young children + adults can buy what they want, when they want. I will be gifting to the local homeless shelters + food banks for those in need. They can always use grocery gift cards + bus passes + simply a warm pair of socks or mittens. Thank-you for the lovely gifting ideas.

• woodrose
    2 years ago

I don't know what I'll give the adults, but I may give my grandchildren money or gift cards. I wouldn't know what to get them anyway, and none of them need anything

• Tara
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have a lunch at a restaurant for my friends. I usually make some little token gift for each of them. I crochet and I've given them little stockings with candy inside, ornaments, scarves one year when I was super organized and got started early (thank goodness I don't have THAT many friends!), gloves. Sometimes I'll skip the crochet and give them little hand creams or lip balms or candles. Sometimes essential oils, or friendship bracelets or keychains. It's nothing very big or expensive and nothing that can't be found easily. It's the getting together that matters. One year I collected nonperishable food for the food bank. Last year when we couldn't get together, I sent each of them a special pop up Christmas card and a cute little bookmark.

Edited to add: I kinda get the the no gifts for adults thing, then again I don't get it. I still like to be remembered. Even if it is something small, like what I give to my friends. It's not about giving something that someone NEEDS or that they can get what they want for themselves any time of the year. It's about remembering the people you love, making them feel loved and special in your life, even if it's just this time of year (hopefully you are kind to your friends and family all year). Not that I need to get gifts, but if no one thinks of me even to say "Merry Christmas" or give me a candy cane or include me in a tradition, I feel disappointment, not necessarily because I did not GET anything, but because I FEEL unloved and not thought about. That maybe I did not make a difference to anyone during the year. I wallow a bit in sadness, then I resolve to give back more. Then I call my friends and they make me smile. We have to remember that some people don't feel they have anyone to make them smile, and that is the reason why depression rates go up at the holidays. Making someone feel better is the best gift.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

@tera You are so right. Years ago I didn't think much about the people who are alone at the holidays. It seemed like I had too many places to go and people to see, but as I have gotten older I find myself and more and more of my friends and relatives are alone. Sadly I moved from California to Pennsylvania and can't invite my old crew to come over to my house or go to their home for Christmas. I will call each of them and spend some time visiting with them via phone. I have one "inherited" daughter (my best friend passed away when Bree was 18 and I kind of took over as mom when needed). She is married and has 2 kids, but again she lives too far away to spend the holidays together. Thank God for unlimited phone plans!

Pre-Covid I always spent Christmas Eve with my extended family (large gathering 30+ people). But at 60 I am the youngest of the 6 kids and they all have kids, grandkids and great grandkids and it is getting harder and harder for us to all get together. Christmas Eve is just too hard when they all have house guests and meals to prepare and need to be up early to watch the grandkids open gifts. This year we are having a simple dinner the day after Christmas with just the 6 kids and their spouses. They decided not to exchange gifts, but just enjoy each other's company.

I don't need anything, and I fully understand that they are slowing down, but I am not sure if they fully understand that while they are enjoying their families and exchanging gifts and enjoying the holiday I will be spending the day alone with my dog and the empty decorative boxes under my tree.

I have been thinking that I might put something on Next Door and see if there are some other women who don't want to spend the day alone who may want to join me on Christmas Day for a meal at a local restaurant. Maybe I will find some friends and by next year feel comfortable inviting them to my home for the holiday.

• wenas5
    2 years ago

Jennifer Hogan + others, try contacting your local senior center or maybe YWCA/YMCA [ all ages ] or maybe a veterans center to invite a man/woman or a group to a get-together. It can be very simple. Everyone wear a holiday sweater. Serve a non-alcoholic drink, for those on special medicines/diets ... white elephant exchange games can be a fun ice-breaker + FREE, if it is something you already have. Dollar stores have great decor + stuff.

• Chioma Ugwa
    2 years ago

I haven’t zoomed into Christmas yet, I know that I will be doing the thanksgiving first, all the cooking involved is what I look forward to.
    Christmas, I will just love to change environment. I have a renovation happening in my Pittsburgh home, if they can get done before Christmas. I will love to take the entire family there for the holidays. No gifts!!!

• Pam Sweeney
    2 years ago

The only supply chain probs I have had is with getting materials to work with. I am sewing new roman shades and drapes for 3 large LR windows. Ordered linings, that are now 6 weeks overdue. Thread was in short supply also. I ordered a handmade copper lantern in April that still hasn't shipped. Artist says it's hard to get his supplies. I have bought from him before and have confidence in what he says.

• judygilpin
    2 years ago

Everything we're having for Thanksgiving is already in the freezer and pantry. I always plan ahead.....no fighting crowds in the grocery store.

• CAS
    2 years ago

My husband and I don't buy gifts for anyone at the holiday season. Our big gift is a monthly donation to the local community food bank. We have it set up like any other monthly bill that is paid on line. Easy peasy. Those who are food ensecure need food donations all year long and much more than any other gift we could give someone else. -- Please give $$$ to your local food bank.

• Sarah
    2 years ago

We are supporting local restaurants and small service businesses for Christmas shopping again this year. Have been doing this for several years as it’s fun and easy. We have cut down the number of gifts to buy (we do gift exchanges with the adults) and also donate to family members favorite local charities.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

I ended up with zero issues due to the supply chain! Also found the best thing to do on Christmas Day rather than spending it alone. I found another person who was going to be alone and we are making 25 dinners for the night staff at the Physical Rehab center where her daughter works.

• Aphaea
    2 years ago

Jennifer, that is a fabulous idea!