Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_meadowsrogers

Help! Remove or not remove beams

Kaye Rogers
2 years ago

We are planning to remodel our kitchen and add on to our home. The kitchen is going to extend out. We are debating about removing the wall and all the decorative beams. We will keep the long one that extends across the room. If we get rid of the indoor pergola, there will be more light, appearing bigger. Then again, I feel the beams add zest to our home. The house was built in the early 80s. Excuse the mess in the pictures.

Comments (21)

• JT7abcz
    2 years ago

The indoor pergola looks like it might work in a themed restaurant but it’s too campy for a home. Maybe you can recycle the lumber and make a nice pergola outside.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Remove it. You can add "zest" with art, furniture, or paint.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

I agree, it makes the room look tight and cluttery. I would remove those beams.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I never like fake beams they always look fake and pergolas do not belong inside .

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Another vote for removing it all

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Fake beams can look perfectly good, but these are too dark and too intrusive -- and just too much. They're making your space appear smaller. Specifics:

- I agree with removing the pergola.

- But I might keep the main ceiling beam that runs down the middle. It appears to house electricity since a ceiling fan runs out of it. You could paint that beam white instead of keeping it stark dark-dark.

- Ditto for the hatband beam that runs a foot or so below the kitchen ceiling. I'd think about keeping it and painting it white.

• chiflipper
    2 years ago

Remove the beams, it's a house not a ship. The nautical theme doesn't work.

• jck910
    2 years ago

Another vote for remove. They're not beams but a pergola as stated above

• Lorraine Leroux
    2 years ago

Remove them. You will feel how light and airy the room will be.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

Add me to the What the H@ll Were They Thinking camp.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Have to say this is one of the more unusual features I've seen in a kitchen or a house. Although it is unique I'm not sure it adds much. It's kind of visually confusing and almost clutters your kitchen. So, I guess my vote is for removing the pergola rafters, at least. If you decide to keep the support beam (as I think you said your were going to do) I might suggest adding wall on top of it. Visually that might make more sense and give the beam a reason for being there in the first place.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

Never seen anything like that inside a home. It's very limiting, lowering and darkening....I would remove.

• Kaye Rogers
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for your honest opinion. I'm looking forward to having a brand new kitchen.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I'm not expert no, but if there's any structural need, might the center post be stronger.. sort of like this?

Expansive Orange/Blue/Walnut Kitchen · More Info

Fox Country Farmhouse · More Info

Levine · More Info

Renovation Villeray 5 · More Info

Streyffeler · More Info

Whisper Rock Residence · More Info

Encinitas Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I like to 'go slow'.. so I'd consider design that works with reasonable, ok price for things needed... dining lighting? if the horizontal on the far wall were removed it would 'declutter'...

the finish on the beams lightened, and/or particular ones removed...

The Nest · More Info

• Kaye Rogers
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! Beautiful layouts!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

And I'm going on a tangent, but it impacts somewhat the beams -- if you used other than dark grey curtains, it could lighten the 'visual' of the area.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Might the longest, uppermost beam look more tied in, and like the 'cool' tone of frig, etc.- covered in softer tones... ? Silver Gray/ 3, 4, 5", and lengths from 12 - 48". Wire Brushed and ready to install. W 5" / D 48" / H 0.38"

Reclaimed Silver Gray Wall Board Planks · More Info

Thermally-Modified Barn Wood Wall Planks, 5"W x 48"L,10.sq.ft. Camo, Pack of 6 · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Idk how real this looks, but covering beams with lighter doesn't have to look light beachy, or Scandinavian, etc...

Timeline Skinnies Sample, White · More Info

Milk Jar Cookies - Los Angeles, Ca · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Ceiling in Dirty White and cabinetry in The Mix by Timeline Wood

Texas Lake House · More Info