Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nesting67

Disappointing shipment of Quietness

nesting67
last year

This is my first post in this forum, so thank you in advance! I received a rose from ARE yesterday that I was so excited about, Quietness. I’ve only ever ordered from Heirloom which while a small band, looked very healthy. Is this typical of this rose? With a forecast of 90 today in the Chicago burbs, should I wait to plant it? It should cool down tomorrow. the instructions say to plant right away.

Comments (21)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

Your plant looks good, lots of canes.

I habe Quietness and have moved that poor thing 4 times and each time she just takes right off

She is a really hardy rosr and do really well for you.

Personally, I would wait out the 90's for a bit cooler day. Keep her watered and out of that 90 degree sun.

• nesting67
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Kristine! I have heard she's very hearty. I think I was just taken aback by so few leaves and mostly a bright chartreuse color. Perhaps it was the heat in the shipping container causing that. Do you think a South facing spot is ok? I feel like I read somewhere that she prefers some shade. All my other roses are South facing (all Easy Elegance)

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

@nesting67 it could be that ARE removed the leaves for shipping, and the ones you have now grew while it was in the shipping box, and are so light colored because they haven't gotten any sun.

• nesting67
    Original Author
    last year

Makes sense! The band I got from Heirloom years ago (Betty White) didn't make it because a bunny chewed it to the ground a day after planting. No bunnies on this property - the hawks and coyotes keep them in check. I have high hopes for Quietness!

• berrypiez6b
    last year

On my papers I received from ARE, it said don't be alarmed by the discolored leaves. Two of my roses looked like yours only not as big, and my third had no leaves. I'm super happy with mine , I've seen how fast they leaf out once planted.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

The plant will grow new perfect leaves. Show us a photo in a month please.

• nesting67
    Original Author
    last year

Will do Sheila!

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    last year
    last modified: last year

You will not be disappointed. The Quietness ARE sent you is an excellent specimen. Don't let the thin canes cause you any concern. It is actually very nicely proportioned. In no time your Quietness will send out basal canes 1+ inch in diameter.

Quietness is an upright grower, but when young it will make some sprawling growth until it hits its stride, which will come quickly.

Although Quietness is designated as a shrub, it gets pruned like a hybrid tea here in my zone 6b, Pittsburgh garden. I don't let my three bushes grow 'willy-nilly,' like say, a Knock Out. If you think of Quietness as you would the grandiflora, Queen Elizabeth, but Quietness having substantially better blooms, and nowhere near as stiff and columnar a growth habit, you have Quietness figured out pretty good.

When Quietness is young it can make lax growth, but soon grows very nicely with basal canes growing about 25-35° to the vertical, very attractive and strong growth. It's a nice looking bush standing alone, not telephone pole in growth habit like Memorial Day, or Queen Elizabeth.

Here is how I prune mine. After a cluster of blooms is completed blooming that stem is pruned back to the first 5 leaflet leaf where the stem is also minimally pencil thick in diameter. This means that down lower on the stem than where the first 5 leaflet leaf emerged is where the cut is made if that is where the stem is minimally pencil thick. I follow this pattern all growing season long.

At spring pruning time the bush gets all dead, spindly and crossing branches removed. All live growth less than pencil thick is pruned to the pencil thick point. Then balance the bush, don't prune only one cane pointing left, and the rest pointing right. Finally the height is reduced to between 12-16".

By autumn, my Quietness bushes reach 5-6' in height.

I hope you like your Quietness as much as I like mine.

Moses

• nesting67
    Original Author
    last year

Moses, thank you for the detailed instructions! This was a rough winter for my roses with some showing only 6 inches of green at the base. We are on a corner with 1+ acre lots all around. The winter winds really whip up. So, I'm not sure that Quietness will get that big here, but I'm hopeful!

• sharon2079
    last year

I have my Quietness for 15 years.... it is an own root and that says a lot because I am in South Florida zone10 where nematodes are prevalent..... And she chugs through it.

Not only do I have to deal with nematodes, I have to deal with salty winds, gale force winds and hurricanes.... She has come through it all..... including several brackish water floods..... I feel with confidence that yours should bounce back. I would keep her shaded until she starts to leaf out more.... and follow the rest of Mosses advice.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

I agree with everything above, but would add to plant her in sun when you finally do get her in the ground. I usually water my new plants and keep them slightly shaded for a couple of days to let them acclimate Before putting them in the ground. However since yours doesn't have leaves Its new es will be sun leaves if you plant it Soon.

• nesting67
    Original Author
    last year

Vaporvac thank you! What are sun leaves? Would anyone like to share their Quietness pics? I would love to seem them?

last year

Here she is in a pot. I have since moved her to a space in the ground. She can take tbe sun

• nesting67
    Original Author
    last year

Wow!! Beautiful

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

Beautiful picture Kristine. Nesting, sun leaves are just what they sound to be: leaves that grow in the sun. Have you ever put a houseplant outside only to have its leaves scorch and fall off. That is because those are shade leaves acclimated to the indoors. Those that regrow will be acclimated to a higher light level. Same with roses.😊

last year

You will love this rose, which by the way looks wonderful.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    last year

Quietness is probably my favorite rose in my garden right now. It became its own little tree rose without any grafts at all:

• LauraLG Z5b-NwPA
    last year

Quietness is such a dependable rose. It was the only rose in my garden with no die back this winter (out of about 70) and never has even a little bit of disease. Every time I get frustrated with my other roses I tell myself I’ll just pull everything and replace all of them with Quietness. 😋

• nesting67
    Original Author
    last year

LauraLG I hope that holds true for me as well in my Zone5 (Chicago burbs) garden. Had lots of die back on my other roses.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    last year

Looks fine. Looks like it tried to grow in a dark box and got a bit heated.

Water it well! It should come back well.

Quietness is a tough and magnificent rose. Best fortunes with yours!

Steven