Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_860152031

Will my Bruce Spruce survive to this aphids damage?

HU-860152031
last year

Hello I hope you are well

My Bruce Spruce (Fat Albert, Picea pungens) had a massive aphids infestation that I mitigated 1 month ago. They heavily damaged the tree... I was about to lose the faith with the tree until I saw that 2 weeks ago it started growing new needles as it usually does during these dates of the year.

Based on the pictures, do you think it will eventually recover as it was before? thanks for your answers

Comments (8)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Sorry but I highly doubt your tree will ever regain the look it had before. Where are you located (state and large city nearby)? Blue spruce do not thrive in many areas of the country so eventually they will all become more or less without needles due to adverse climate and associated fungal issues.

• HU-860152031
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks for your response. I live in central England countryside. The damage was caused by aphids, and as son I noticed them (too late) I sprayed and kill them. Tree is always growing from its tips as it is nowadays, but the needles in the middle could not withstand the aphids... its hard for me to believe they will regrow again, and how many years it will take, since this tree grows very slowly...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

its a BLUE spruce.. not a bruce spruce ....maybe they have those up scotland way ... lol ...

the issue is not whether it can look good again in say.. 5 to 10 years... its whether you want to look at it and be pissed off for 5 or 10 years .. and frankly.. i would not have that kind of patience ...

i had a conifer collection in excess of 500 plants... i NEVER heard of or saw aphids do this to a conifer ... i wonder if there is more to this story ... like poor stock.. improper planting.. improper aftercare.. etc ... somehow.. bugs find stressed plants ... and that is when they do the most damage ...

btw .. what did you do for treatment??

ken

• HU-860152031
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi yes sorry my mistake, Blue spruce I meant...

Wow you have such a massive conifer collection!!

Regarding the blue spruce, I was shocked when I saw that big amount of aphids in the tree (thousands). I did not realise about them until it was too late. I planted it 3 years ago (it was already 80cm tall at that time) and it has been growing very healthy until now...

This is the liquid I sprayed to the tree:

• HU-860152031
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for your answers, now it its growing a lot but just the tip of the branches. I will wait a couple of years monitoring its recovery and keeping an eye on aphids

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

If it does indeed grow out to cover the bare spots, are you aware of the size these get? That spot will not hold it.

https://conifersociety.org/conifers/picea-pungens-fat-albert/

tj

• HU-860152031
    Original Author
    last year

hi tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱, it looks it will grow a lot eventually!

2 questions then:

do you think it is possible to leave the tree in that spot and only cut the branches that grow towards the fence?

Do you think the conifer roots could affect in the future to my patio slabs (barely shown in previous submitted picture) or my neighbour patio slabs, which are located immediately behind the fence?

thanks ;)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Here is a short answer for you......just get rid of it. Yes, harsh, I know :-) But Colorado blue spruces have a very small window of climate suitability that unless provided, will ultimately result in a number of disease and insect issues that will permanently affect the health and appearance of the tree. Think of the Rocky Mountains where these trees are native - cold, snowy winters and hot and dry summers with very low humidity. Can you replicate that? In my climate - which is much like yours and does not offer anything to their liking other than dry summers (but not hot) and low humidity - blue spruces struggle mightily and it is very rare to find one of any age in good health.

IME, a blue spruce as bare as that one now is will never regain the fullness it had as a young planting and will always look bad and half dead.