Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

The garden in late May

This has not been a good year for roses--on the whole--the brilliant spring flowering was compromised by some days of rain, this just in time for the visit from my relatives; then the rain was immediately followed by summerlike warm, dry, breezy weather, and all the warm climate roses withered. Oh, well: patience. The initial flowering in April-earliest May was amazing.

Now it's the turn of the once-blooming old roses and the ramblers: Gallicas, Centifolias, Albas, Damasks and their hybrids; Wichuriana ramblers and a few Multifloras and musks. Our motor scythe was broken and it took the shop a while to find a replacement belt; in the meantime, the grass grew and grew. By the time the motor scythe finally returned to us, the grass was thigh high, or waist high, or, here and there, head high. DH has been battling his way through it, while I follow behind with my hori hori, also called a garden knife, shearing the straggling tufts, carefully protecting my hands with sturdy leather gloves, as I sliced my fingers twice working bare-handed, and the cuts still aren't fully healed. Two days ago DH cut the road between the Serbian beds, and the first part of the Allée; yesterday he got the area of the peony walk. Hurray, I can look at the roses without wading through a sea of grass. I'm still have a lot of shearing to do around the roses we planted last winter, so they don't get choked, and so that DH can find them for watering: I need to add a sturdy stake and one of the flags cut from an old t-shirt and some worn-out underwear. I also shear around little roses. It was sweet to see 'Spong' when I uncovered it; now I have to go take a look at 'Pompon de Panachée', an adorable little rose, supposedly its sport. There's a good deal of inefficient fiddling around on my part: how do the canes look on "Glendora"? Is there any new growth on this one? Oh, there's an orchid! What kind of weeds are appearing?

The peony walk has some gaps to be filled; those planting holes require preparation. The walk is coming along though it will be some more years before the peonies are really prosperous: they take time. The ground is poor, even with amendment, but I see that peonies grow amazingly in the garden, even in really bad conditions. I may even have enough peonies one day.

To me there is no garden sight more beautiful than a rambler growing in a meadow. 'Russelliana', the unidentifed white musk rambler; the Wichuriana rambler I think is 'Glen Dale' (it came under a different name), spilling its lemon-sherbert blooms, a sort icy yellow-tinted white, across the grass and flowers. 'Alba Semiplena' is handsome this year, as is 'Maiden's Blush'. 'Dumortier', a sort of outsized thorny Gallica, is fabulous; so is the plant of 'Cardinal Richelieu' growing in a shady nook, covered in dusky grape-purple blooms. Rosa hemisphaerica is blooming (it doesn't always), though I don't know how long it will continue to do so if it doesn't make some new canes. There's too much to look at, and so much to do. As long as I'm out working on it, it's all right.

Comments (13)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

I, too, love your comments Melissa as I hack my way through grass and try to put on wood chips around roses. We are at the early roses like Teas blooming stage but barely past freezing temps. The lilacs are just finishing. My wisteria buds froze out but the plant is not dead. Same for yellow Lady Banks. My Fortuniana is starting bloom but Russelliana not yet.

It is a really good year for grass and weeds.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

My lilacs haven’t even started yet Sheila!

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    Original Author
    last year

Oursteelers and Sheila, I'm glad you enjoy my comments; I enjoyed writing them. I'm a bit envious of you, that both of you have a lot of spring ahead of you, while we're staring at a fast approaching summer while it isn't even June yet. Oh, well, spring started this year in January, so it isn't as though we haven't had our season. The thought of an extra month of summer isn't a welcoming one, though. I expect to be spending a lot of time down in the woods once it gets hot. Sorry to hear about your freeze losses, Sheila.

• bart bart
    last year

Yeah, I'm a bit envious, too-spring is all too brief here-at least it seems so to me,but perhaps that's just because i love it so. And I, too, am NOT looking forward to summer,and sometimes feel down-right depressed and anxious about its' arrival.

Right now my roses are at their peak-by that I mean that most of them are at their best, though the late bloomers have yet to really start. This is the "Grand Finale" of the season.

Sheila, I covered my wisterias with that synthetic white garden "cloth" (of which I never seem to remember the name) and did get flowers this year. But it might've just been luck; i.e. no late ,sudden temperature drops...

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    last year

Such a beautiful read. Thank you!

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8 thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, librarian_gardner. Bart, mine is likely a useless comment, but I'm surprised your wisteria suffers freeze damage. We're further north than you, and our wisteria, planted way back in 2003, has bloomed abundantly every spring since. I don't understand what's going on there. Is it because ours is in a protected position? It grows on a pergola in front of our house, facing south, so with three stories of masonry backing it up, and with two other building on either side and trees to break the force of the wind. Could all that thermal mass make a difference?

My commiserations on the looming arrival of summer, by the way. It's not a great time in the garden. We plant trees diligently, but it's going to be a couple of decades at least before the garden has the shade it needs (which will be enough shade to start shading out the flowers; well, patience).

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

Tyvek, Bart? This is the first year in 7 I had this problem. There was a warm up then freezes. Something was worse this year.

• bart bart
    last year

Melissa, your wisteria is clearly growing in a very protected position, and mine is not. Also, though you are further north, I think my garden is more exposed than is yours, Though facing south-west, it is at about 600 meters above sea level, and is subject to very, very strong wind.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    last year

Melissa, you should write a book, like ”A Year in Provence” but in Italy.

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8 thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
  • rosesmi5a
    last year

As to writing a book: I would buy it! I love your writing -- it always paints a picture for me, and you place the gardener squarely in the garden; garden and gardener intertwined.

Original Author
    last year

Noseometer and rosesmi, thank you! I'm not ambitious enough on my own: I need someone to make me do it. Rosesmi, I that's a nice image.

• portlandmysteryrose
    last year

Chiming in with everyone—another wonderful read! If I lived in Italy, I’d show up and make you write that book!! :-) Carol

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8 thanked portlandmysteryrose
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!