Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lula_fl

help what did I do wrong with the entryway ?

Lula Fl
last year

I don’t know what I am doing wrong here the mirror is not connecting with the slat wood . It looks off . Is the mirror too small or should I move closer to the slat wood ?

Comments (22)

• kazzh
    last year

The mirror doesn't connect at all, i'm afraid. A dark framed mirror would work much better.....

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

I agree with @kazzh. A black frame to tie in with shoe shelf & door would be better I think. Can you paint the frame? As is, the entry feels too busy with different patterns on rug, walls and wall pockets.

• Sharon
    last year

I'd take the slats down bc it is a bit too busy in this area. Mirror is fun color and functional!

• arcy_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

For sure TOO MUCH. It appears you need the space for open closet type use. So make some room for the putting on of said things. Remove all the plants, paint the mirror black. your wall paper is focal point enough. The rest needs to be utilitarian. Your hanging tree hardware are stylish but seems like things get messy and jumbled. I would remove those and go for a straight line of hooks. Maybe the umbrella stand if used enough to warrant being 'out' in view would fit where the floor plant is. It appears the door can't open all the way as it is now. Those hanging bins look precarious. Perhaps a shelf hung above the hooks with baskets would be safer and less cluttery looking. What are the black stripes about in the left corner? Are the just paint or necessary for something? They are visually filling space that needs to be clean and empty.

• Lula Fl
    Original Author
    last year

I forgot to add that this is a rental

• Lula Fl
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone. Yeah I can paint the frame black. This is a rental so I don’t want to add any homes and I don’t have extra space cause this is nyc ., closet is used for storage. Wallpaper is the focal point . So I will try to keep the other stuff subtle .

• Jeanne Cardwell
    last year

Center the runner.

• L A
    last year

Its having an identity crisis, pick ONE style and stick with it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Too much going on in a tiny space lose the mirror it does nothing at all for the space and that wallpaper is not working either . Is there not another place for the stuff hanging on the wall? pretty sure most of that could go in a bedroom closet . This is definately a space where less is more .

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Lula Fl Agree that since your home is a rental the changes you could make are certainly limited. You said NYC too so storage space limited - is this an apartment with no garage? Since so many permanent details exist that cannot be changed - the colorful wallpaper, the crown molding with dentil detail on it, the wood slats in wall & the less desireable ”boob” light as they’re called - I would suggest just adding only items needed to make the space function well & unify the design of those items. The mirror in entry makes good sense as useful. The long vertical hooks on wall are no doubt useful & look black already so they’re good. As I suggested before, I’d paint mirror frame to match door & bench color. Remove the plants & any extra decor items. I see art on wall which look like black framed so leave them as is. Do center rug if you can - maybe the door won’t open over the rug if centered? The result should be a less busy space but still functional and a more unified design which is pleasing to the eye.

• Lula Fl
    Original Author
    last year

@KW Yeah the rug cannot be centered because of the door . I moved the mirror so that the rug looks more centered. I do plan to change the boob light (waiting on the super to remove it). I Will paint the mirror black to match the door and show bench.

• Lula Fl
    Original Author
    last year

The rental doesn’t come with a garage (this is manhattan folks) . The stuff hanging on the hook are slippers for guest (no shoe policy in the apartment ) . The entryway needs to be functional as space is already an issue

• Mrs. S
    last year

I would like to know what are those slats?

I think you have good advice. I will only add that a crowded, functional entryway is not the place where I would put a pottted plant. I think you need every square inch of space for storage and function, and ability to move around.

• barncatz
    last year

Cute hall! And I'm the outlier. I would work off the beautiful wallpaper. That means I would leave the mirror blue and find a rug that actually picks up that blue and the other wallpaper colors. (I'd move the mirror back where you had it.)

Leave the umbrella stand next to the bench and get rid of the faux plants. Use a basket on the bench, not a purely decorative item, or leave the benchtop bare. The fabric holder is useful and a good idea, but I think the pattern on this one doesn't enhance the paper, and a solid would be more restful. But I don't think that's a biggy.

What are the slats for? If they could be removed, I'd do that or at least paint them to blend into the wall, if you can. If they have to stay unchanged, can you at least put some hooks on them so they're useful?

• Gcubed
    last year

Another Manhattanite here. I would get rid of the runner if you can't open the door. Maybe you can find a really low pile door mat (check Home Depot or Target) to set in front of the door. If that hallway extends farther then maybe move runner there (I actually have nothing in front of my door or entry-- most shoes get wiped dry/clean walking down the building carpeted hallway and wet shoes are taken off in outer hallway). I'd keep the space functional: shoe storage and a place to drop your keys. If the helmets, etc, need to be in that front area, I'd get basket to toss them in (lose the plants)- maybe center shoe bench between the umbrella holder and another closed storage unit. I personally think the hooks look cluttered- leave for jacket or bags that are used often

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

As others said: Too Much Stuff. Get rid of everything not essential.

If you want the wallpaper to be the focal point, make sure everything else is recessive. Especially the bright blue mirror frame.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

IMO, the mirror frame is clashing - the bobble shapes and the color really stand out and don't reflect anything else that's there - not even the small amount of bright blue in the wallpaper. It's a fun frame, but just doesn't fit in there.

Can you return the mirror and get a different one? I agree a plain black framed mirror would probably merge better with the space. I like having a mirror by the door so I can check my appearance before leaving.

There are a lot of patterns going on there and contributing to the busy-ness as well.

• njmomma
    last year

Love the mirror!
    Love the wallpaper!

Get more wallpaper and do the mirror wall.

I would remove the the runner and plant.

Less is more.

• Lula Fl
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone for the suggestions 🤗

• freedomplace1
    last year

I like the existing mirror, too. And I like @njmomma’s idea of adding the wallpaper on that mirror wall, if you can. But either way - your mirror can work. if you add wallpaper to that wall, wait and see how you like it before you paint the mirror; the existing blue frame may work fine against the wallpaper.

If you do decide to paint the frame, I agree black could work. I also think a turquoise could be very nice.

Below, I tried Behr’s ”Little Black Dress” and ”Pure Turquoise”.

• Mrs. S
    last year

Glad you are getting good advice. But.... what are the slats?