Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thornworn

Petite Knock Out....what?

Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
last year
last modified: last year

Do yo find Petite Knock Out:

1. A boring little nothing of a miniature rose bush.

2. Too short of a neck.

3. Too large in foliage out of balance with the bloom.

4. Short, sparse of bloom, not enough.

5. Nothing exceptional about it, except maybe black spot resistance which unfortunately, the vast majority of minis are incredibly prone to, and possibly good winter hardiness in colder climes.

IMHO, Petite Knock Out diminishes the reputation of Meilland and Radler.

Moses

Comments (12)

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    last year

Agree. I’d plant a petunia or a zinnia instead.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    last year

It's a ridiculous exercise in legalities and going backwards on the name of true progress and advancement.

I'll never grow/purchase this thing in protest of too much corporate power.

Steven

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

The utility patent is new to me. So they patent the genetics.

I am wondering how that works? They identified the piece of DNA that is unique and responsible for the new features and patented it. Then they scan any new rose varieties to make sure they do not have this piece of DNA sequence? But they have to prove that piece of DNA sequence is indeed relevent and critical? Also how long will this utility patent hold? 20 years as well?

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

Forever a newbie, if we consider the type of impact this practice has had in the world of commercial farming (patented seeds of crops like corn, cotton, etc) we can see the potential for financial control over growers/farmers, as well as a blow to biodiversity.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last year

This is a blow to creativity as well

• User
    last year

I hope that cultivar perishes in commerce quickly and quietly, taking its absurd and damaging patent with it. That thing isn't allowed anywhere near my remaining archive of breeders.

• hugogurll
    last year

I had heard the utility patent was not allowed at the last minute. Had to be at quite a cost. Can't believe they thought it was so valuable. It's a total snooze fest of a rose.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

My post just went *poof!*, so I'll try again.

@roseseek could probably answer whether the patent was ultimately approved. The thread on the subject over on the rose breeder's forum petered out a year ago, and I couldn't determine the facts from what I could find on the application.

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

Herogurll, I wonder if their main goal is to sell this rose en masse as a commercial landscaper rose, not necessarily to gardeners. By patenting the genetics of the rose they can ensure that no other successful landscape roses using any Knockout patented genes can compete with them. Just my guess.

• roseseek
    last year

@fig_insanity Z7b E TN my understanding, from a friend who is patenting roses, is that the utility patent was not completed. Realistically, there is absolutely no way for it to be enforced. There has to be an easily identifiable gene inserted into the plant to be passed on and found in the offspring and reportedly Petite Knocked Up is NOT GMO. I think it was more likely an experiment in pushing the limits, to see how far the corporation might be able to go to prevent their products from being used by competitors. Thankfully, it appears to have been a rather expensive failure. The rose can have pretty foliage, but those dull, shapeless "flowers" that here, refuse to self clean, leave me flat. Yes, it does appear their goal was to foist the rose on the mass users. I see them as bushes as well as ugly mini standards at the big box stores locally.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    last year

@roseseek. First of all: "Petite *Knocked Up*". We're showing our age, but I think that nick name is hilarious. Secondly, thanks for letting us know the status. In my opinion, the nasty thing is barely worthy of NAMING, much less patenting. I can name ten red mini's that are prettier, even if they need more care. So it's a relief the travesty of a utility patent went bust. Serves 'em right. I hope the experience was VERY expensive for Meilland, lol.