sassygal2u

Breakfast Room suggestions

Alicia
last year

Looking for ideas for my breakfast room area

Comments (13)

• salonva
    last year

What are you looking to do? Do you want/ need chairs? The room looks freshly painted. If you could show the rest of the room or of other rooms in your house it will help you get suggestions.

• Alicia
    Original Author
    last year

I should have given more detail. Looking for decorating ideas for this room. Should a rug go under table? Curtains or shades? Decor suggestions for either side of window? I tend to lean towards simple, some farmhouse.  Are there 3d tools to help when planning out a room?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Do you need this eating space ? IMO breakfast rooms are wasted space if you have akitchen with stools and a DR . I would use it for a nice seating area for friends while you are cooking a couple of chairs and a table for drinks or maybe a nice bar area and a bar table think outside the box and really think about how to use the space for how you live.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year
    • For starters, the table and chairs should be at table height and not counter height.
    • A round table would have been a better selection IMO
    • If these items stay, then turn the table and chairs on the diagonal to make the use of space more efficient and more interesting visually.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year
    last modified: last year

Rug? Depends on whether a rug will be in the way when opening the door - will door clear the rug or make it bunch up? May a thin indoor / outdoor rug is the only type that will allow clearance. I see the edge of a counter in the lower left of one of your additional pics so guessing this area open to kitchen. What accent colors are in kitchen? Is there a window in kitchen? If there is, I’d mirror the treatment for this area. What kind of light comes through the breakfast window? The blinds you have seem right for space - maybe you add a fabric valance to soften the window & finish it off. The large wall on right seems to be calling for art - I’d add art there before thinking about the shorter spaces either side of window. ”Some farmhouse”….how about whimisical farm animal art to make family smile in the morning? Portrait style of cow or sheep etc - lots to choose from. Maybe add small fabric shades to the bulbs of chandelier to make it less formal - nothing fancy but lots to choose from in clip on shades.

ETA: is there enough clearance to fully open door with chair pulled out on that side of table? That might determine which placement is best - the way you have it or the way @BeverlyFLADeziner suggests. Use of a rug might be determined by table placement too. I think rug should be same shape as table & rug might look funny at angle if it’s a rectangle. A square or round works. Can’t really determine table shape from pic angle - square or rectangle.

• Alicia
    Original Author
    last year

This area is open to the kitchen. Just finished painting walls after 20years 🙄 Recessed lights go in kitchen tomorrow and fluorescent fixture coming down.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

Nice paint job & good news about lighting! I see now that your table is rectangle - it’s in the best position I think. There’s not enough room for chair pull out if it’s placed width wise in space, correct? That long wall definitely wants some fun art. I’d look for one large or two mid size to center between the baker’s rack cabinet & end of wall by window. I’d want black in picture & would prefer a canvas - no frame.

• Alicia
    Original Author
    last year

I see now that one image makes the table look rectangular however it is actually square. The door does clear the chair. I greatly appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions. I've been contemplating if a round table would look better or if I could make this table work. I've been at a loss on this space and trying not to break the bank.

• Jennifer K
    last year

If you're going to eat breakfast in there (it looks like a nice spot), a buffet or sideboard to hold the toaster, coffee maker, etc. would be useful. You might reposition that baker's rack so that it's next to the sliding door instead of lined up in a row with the kitchen counter-- depends on how much space there is, but it could substitute for the sideboard I mentioned.

I'd sell the counter level table and chairs unless you find them comfortable (I don't). And I'd look for a 48" diameter round table at a regular height. You can probably find one on Craigslist or kijiji if you're willing to keep an eye out for a while.

Me, I'm not a fan of carpet under an eating space. Bare floor is much easier to keep clean. But I would soften the room by adding drapes to the windows and co-ordinating cushions to the chairs.

What are the dimensions of the room, including door and window sizes? You'll need to input those into any tool (or graph paper) that you use. And supplying them will allow us to input them into our favourite tools and show you our ideas. (I use https://floorplanner.com/ )

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Alicia Since the table is a square, why not try turning it as @BeverlyFLADeziner suggests just to see if that difference opens up other options.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Alicia Several of the lights Beverly shows are similar to your current light but with the addition of shades. I had suggested putting shades on yours to soften the look & also it would beef up the light a bit. It would be an inexpensive update to see if you like the look or to stay within a budget.

• PRO
    Everything Home
    7 months ago

We might suggest trying artwork, some plants, a new chandelier, and perhaps some plants. Here are a few ideas of what could work in your dining area:

Bright Transitional Refresh · More Info

Life of the Party · More Info

Coastal Charmer · More Info

This Is My Happy Place · More Info

Country Estate Transformation: Dining Room · More Info