Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Question about suckering rootstock

I have a plant of 'Maiden's Blush', grafted on Laxa, that's been in place for nearly twenty years. It has grown mightily and a good many years ago began suckering about. What I've recently noticed is that some of the growth, and suckers, are the rootstock: something I can only see during flowering season, as the growth of scion and rootstock look very much alike. So, my question is, will the rootstock threaten the scion? Normally I would consider it a problem, but this is a very vigorous large rose, and the suckering out is mostly of the scion, as is most of the growth in general (though I saw a cane of rootstock growing up out of the very middle of the rose). Is it anything I need to worry about? I do cut or pull rootstock suckers when I can, but some of them are mature canes, difficult to eliminate. My own thought is to leave the rootstock suckers where it would be a mighty pain to eliminate them, and let them join the party.

Comments (6)

• malcolm_manners
    11 months ago

That depends very much on the relative vigor of the two varieties. In many cases with 'Fortuniana' or 'Dr. Huey', left alone, the rootstock will overwhelm the scion. But if your scion is outcompeting the Laxa, you may be ok. Still, is the Laxa doing anything positive for you? If you could clip them flush with the main stem, I'd suggest removing them.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you for the feedback, Malcolm. The rose is about 90% scion and 10% rootstock, and the scion is going strong, both the original clump of canes, and the suckers extending out. I leave these if they're growing where I want them, otherwise pull them, or cut them if I can't pull them out. I rather like the Laxa, actually, as long as it doesn't drain too much vigor from the scion, but, as I said, if I see new growth of it, which I can detect only during flowering season, I remove it. The Laxa I have is okay, but I don't want more. I understand the principle you've stated.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 months ago

I looked up both roses on HMF, and am sort of surprised that your Maiden's Blush was grafted onto any sort of rootstock - if it has survived since 1400 or so, I presume that it grows (and suckers) perfectly well on its own roots! HMF says it is vigorous, which sounds like an understatement. Laxa has cute blooms, and as a wild species is also presumably vigorous. I have no expertise on this, but if it was mine I would take out the Laxa I could get at, and keep an eye on it to make sure it did not increase its "share" of the bush. I would also dig up one or two of those suckers of Maiden's Blush, so you can plant it elsewhere and be sure the new bushes are on their own roots - great that you would not have to go to the trouble of trying to root a cutting!

Jackie

• roseseek
    11 months ago

I'd think even if the scion is vigorous, the stock suckers would likely, eventually, overtake the scion. They ARE closer to the roots than the scion and could easily out grow what's budded on them. I second Malcolm's question, is Laxa DOING anything positive for you?

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Well, I'm all for variety, and I think the Laxa is quite pretty, though not as pretty as 'Maiden's Blush'. The scion is to some extent own root now, given that it's suckering out, too: I don't know to what extent it has liberated itself from the rootstock. Jackie, I believe that the reason for grafting isn't only to lend vigor to the scion: it demands less plant material to create a new plant, and thus is more economical. Certainly many old roses are more than adequately strong enough to grow here on their own roots, . Own root plants aren't common in commerce here (in Europe) in my experience at least. Thanks, Kim and Jackie, for your responses. Oh, Jackie, I have dug up a few suckers and potted them.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus