Friend or foe beetle

getgoing100_7b_nj
11 months ago

It's darker and bigger than lady bug

Comments (16)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Looks like a dead Ladybug to me. There are lots of species. Some are black.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    11 months ago

It's alive. I had managed to flip it while trying to have a close look but it flipped itself back. It's gone now.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    11 months ago

Ah. Just playing dead then.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Lazing around in the just perfect Saturday morning light. Just saw some aphids on my rose blooms. Hopefully, it finds them.

• PRO
    The Logician LLC
    11 months ago

No good views for ID, either wedged into a leaf or upside-down. Has bumps on its wings like some Tortoise beetles and unlike Lady beetles. Capture one and refrigerate it, take better pictures when insect is cold.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I did see a better view but didn't take pictures. There were smaller white dots in the lowe front portion. If I see it again I will take a pic but it might just be passing by. I am not so cruel as ro capture and refrigerate ia harmless little bug doing its thing.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    11 months ago

I don't see wing bumps. Are you sure you're not seeing the legs of the upside down view in pic 3?

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    11 months ago

True, the wings were smooth and shiny, no bumps. I guess the shiny surface with the black dots makes the lighter brown parts appear to be bumps.

• PRO
    The Logician LLC
    11 months ago

Chilling insects in the fridge temporarily to identify them is not cruel. Insects the world-round get chilled outdoors every night to no ill effect. What is you intention for this insect if it is identified as "foe"?

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Well, if it was a foe, I would crush it or shove it down the balcony depending on the potential harm. I have lost count of the number of spotted lantern fly and it's nymphs In killed or try to kill last couple of years. I am so glad I haven't seen one so far this year.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 months ago

I wouldn’t swear that it’s even a ladybug, honestly. The picture is simply not much help, frankly.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    11 months ago

If OP could google black Ladybug with white spots they could compare with what they saw. This one for example https://bugguide.net/node/view/430445 

The upside down view really looks like a Ladybug to me.

• Fori
    11 months ago

Pretty sure it's a Harmonia axyridis ladybug. They come in alllll ladybird beetle colors, and then some. They have an unearned bad reputation but are in fact perfectly good ladybugs.

...and they sometimes play dead...

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thank you everyone. I think Flori is right. I also saw a larva on a raspberry flower. 😊 For some bad news, also saw a couple of spotted lantern fly nymphs. They are super quick and evade any effort to squish them. I guess another season of struggling with those fancy looking menace lies ahead. By the end of the season last year, there were too many of them everywhere.

• Fori
    11 months ago

O no. We don't have those here (yet?) but they sure do look...fancy. :)

I think your black ladybug has black spots. I made a collection of them in different colors once when I was in the south. They are fancy too in their own way! (Now that I think about it, when I moved to the upper midwest, they were all orange and boring. I wasn't collecting them at that point but they invaded homes in the fall to overwinter so they were hard to avoid.)

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Yes,but was brown with black spots on the back and white spots at certain spots on the "head."