Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darragh_worledge

Seeking the identity of this heritage white rose.

11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

This rose was rescued from the last Five Acre Farm in Nanaimo before all the vegetation was bulldozed off and gone. Likely around 100 years old. It was grown from a cutting.

A white rambler rose, light rose scent. Clean foliage. Five Acre Farms were given to British coal miners as incentive to move to Vancover Island and mine coal in Nanaimo. Thanks for information on this lovely rose.

Comments (17)

• 11 months ago

A quick google shows that Vancouver Island is something like hardiness zones 8 or 9. Is that correct? If so, the first possibility that popped into mind, looking at the photo, is 'Lamarque' (not just the flowers, but also the leaves, which seem tea-ish). But, that is only if where it grows has mild winters and it repeats. Does it repeat or does it only bloom once a year?

• 11 months ago

'Glenn Dale'??? Don't know if the foliage is right. This is a once-flowering rose.

• 11 months ago

Here is my Atmore Lamarque.

Maybe not the closeup you need.

• 11 months ago

Hi Catspa, Melissa and Sheila. Vancouver Island is mostly zone eight, which is the zone this rose is growing in. There are a couple of tiny zone 9 dots near the ocean at Yellowpoint. So far as I know, the rose is a once blooming rambler type of rose. However I haven't really assessed the blooming cycle properly as it is gone from the original site, and both my baby rose and my friend Bob's (who rooted the cuttings) rose are just in their second year from a rooted cutting. Will keep an eye out for any repeat blooming this year. The leaves do have a tea appearance though smaller than a modern tea. They don't have a rugosa appearance. Atmore Lamarque really does look like the rose! Both flower, bud and leaf appearance are similar. As does the overall rose growing shape, sort of shrubby and sprawling shown in your picture, Sheila. Lovely effect showcased against the fence!

• 11 months ago

I've looked closely at several Atmore Lamarque rose pictures. Where my rose differs from the pictures is the centers of the open roses have no yellow to them. They are pure white and not quite as full as Lamarque roses pictured. The Lamarque roses don't seem to have yellow buds noticeably, whereas my rose's buds all show a touch of yellow tone. Otherwise the rose does resemble Lamarque.

• 11 months ago

This is a climber from somewhere in the Tea family of roses. I doubt that its 'Lamarque' since it shows distinct warm yellow tints in the bud, plus 'Lamarque' in my experience is a much more fully double flower.

However, I cannot say that I recognize this variety. I suspect you will find that it does bloom later in the season as well. It could be difficult to narrow this down to a positive ID, since there are quite a few pale yellow climbing Teas, and they tend to look quite different depending on climate.

• 11 months ago

Hi Paul. This is a white climber. I wouldn't call it any form of yellow except with the unopened buds showing that color. The open flowers are pure white. No yellow in center or anywhere else. I agree that the rose has a Tea rose look. Also agree with both you and Jacqueline that Lamarque is looking less likely as the variety. My white rose flowers aren't as full as Lamarque. Jacqueline, contacting Buchart Gardens probably wouldn't work. They are located on Vancouver Island, yes. But there is an enormous mountain called the Malahat situated between Buchart Gardens and Nanaimo. I personally have killed two car transmissions traversing from Nanaimo to Victoria. As well, public transport such as buses aren't very reliable. Simply no easy way to go to Buchart Gardens from my home. Plus, I am not sure there would be anyone available there who would have a clue as to identifying a heritage rose. Buchart Gardens isn't geared towards a research facility. It is gorgeous naturally, but a tourist destination first and foremost.

• 11 months ago

@dara_gardener-Vancouver Island, Z8 Yes, its a white climber, but the fact that the buds show a very definite egg yolk coloring to them is a diagnostic trait, and not to be discounted.

• 11 months ago

Jacqueline, I've checked out your lovely pictures. Thank you for posting them! Very helpful. Right off the bat I can see the leaves of Lamarque are quite different than my unidentified white climber. My rose leaves are a medium green, with good substance and a bit of sheen. Not so elegantly pointed as Lamarque. It appears to be quite blackspot resistant.

• 11 months ago

Is there a specific reason you excluded 'Glenn Dale' as a possibility? Because it seems to me it might be the right one. 'Glenn Dale' is a Wichuriana climber, has slightly glossy foliage, is half Tea (cross between R. wichuriana and 'Isabella Sprunt'), has long, pale yellow buds and semi-double white blooms. It was introduced in the 1920s. I grow it, so am fairly familiar with it.

• 11 months ago

Melissa, I haven't checked out 'Glenn Dale' yet. Will do so now. Here is a picture of a fully opened flower. Paul, the buds show a yellow tinge but not so dark as egg yolk. More of a pale yellow tone as Melissa has described.

The yellow stamens in center of flower are quite glowing when seen in person. There is the tinest bit of blackspot showing on a few of the leaves in this photo.

• 11 months ago

Dara_Gardener - I think Melissa has a good guess. I looked at Glenn Dale on HMF, and the photos show a rose which shows it stamens when fully open, and the first photo you posted of your rose shows that also. The leaves look alike too. When your rose is older, if it does turn out to be a once bloomer, that would be another vote for Glenn Dale, instead of a tea rose, as they are repeat bloomers.

Jackie

• 11 months ago

Wow! I do think 'Glenn Dale' is it! Paul you are right. Glenn Dale is classified as a light yellow Wichurana climbing rose. I would have called it white, but stand corrected. With 'Glenn Dale' the leaves look exact. Flower petals are a little more roundy than my rose, but I think that is just an individual flower difference. Bud color is right. Flower color, center gold stamens, flower fullness, are all the same. Thank you Melissa. What do you think, everyone? Is this the right rose identification?

• 11 months ago

Jackie, I'm pretty sure this rose is a once bloomer. Having Tea Rose in it's parentage is why it shows the distinctive Tea Rose influences.

• 11 months ago

I have nothing to add to the discussion, but the mention of Vancouver Island, where I once lived for several years, and Butchart Gardens, which I often visited, gave me such an acute feeling of nostalgia that it was almost painful. Thank you for reviving those buried memories.

• 11 months ago

Ingrid, Vancouver Island is a wonderful place to live. Buchart Gardens is amazing and gorgeous. We are unforgettable here! A heartfelt "Hello!" to you from the Island. Perhaps you can drop by for a visit sometime in the future.