Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_797113522

I need a new coffee table

Ellie C.
7 months ago

I just moved in to a new apartment and most of my furniture is thrifted or gifted from family members. I want to get a new coffee table because my current one feels way to big for the space. Here are a few I’m looking at on Wayfair. Does anyone like any of these options? Or any recommendations? Any help is really appreciated

Comments (20)

• Susie .
    7 months ago

Just make sure you draw a floor plan to see how it fits. Round tables are nice for small spaces. If you’re on a budget, sometimes Facebook marketplace has some good deals.

• kandrewspa
    7 months ago

I picked the last one because it has the lightest look, but a glass table would be even lighter. Glass isn't practical for everyone, but if it is for you sometimes they're also less expensive than wood topped tables.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 months ago

When you have small spaces IMO furnishings have to be multipurpose.

• Elaine Doremus
    7 months ago

I don't like coffee tables for the following reasons: they make it hard for me to easily get to the couch, they take up a lot of room, and they aren't needed if you have small c side tables. One interior design trick I saw recently that I like is to put a skinny table at the middle back of the couch. That's yet another place for people to put items like drinks if needed. If you really want a coffee table, consider two dark square upholstered ones. Benefits to that: you won't hit your shin on it (and you know you will!!!), it will act as additional seating if needed, and you can move them around (unlike a large wood one).

• njmomma
    7 months ago

You need to go round, your knees and shins will thank you 😁

• PRO
    Ariana Designs LLC
    7 months ago

I agree with getting round tables, and as much as like the warmth of wooden tops I feel like with your space and already existing furniture the ceramic ones will fit better in the room.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

IMO a noguchi type table would be awesome the dark one from Etsy and the blond from wafair In any case I would do something with glass in that tiny space

• Ellie C.
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you everyone for the amazing advice!! I think I’ve narrowed it down to these two. Sticking with either a glass or ceramic table top with no wood grain.

• Kendrah
    7 months ago

What is the width of your current coffee table and what are the widths of the two you have narrowed it down to? (How far open would you leave the nesting tables and measure that total width.) I think you want to make sure that these are going to be small enough for your space and you are not just replacing a large rectangle with a large circle. I agree you should look on Facebook Marketplace too. You can often find Wayfair items on there for less and someone else did the work of putting them together.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 months ago

Kendrah makes a very good point--you aren't giving any dimensions either for the existing table or the options. I would try to find an oval table for your space, but without dimensions it's difficult to choose any of your options.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    7 months ago

I actually still have the very first coffee table I ever purchased. It’s a side table from IKEA, and the living room it went into was tiny. It’s being used as a side table in my rec room at the moment. So, buy something you really like that is within your budget. You’ll eventually replace your gifted furniture with new(er) pieces, and being able to still use a piece you buy now will save you a bit of money as you progress with your space. I like the 2nd option you posted; it’s a nice piece and could be repurposed as a side table in a bigger space.

• HU-227031627
    7 months ago

Glass is a pain to keep clean and easier to break.

• Missy Bee
    7 months ago

I have glass coffee table—no breakage and no fear of it unless you have a toddler with a hammer. It is easy to wipe clean with out any damage left behind from moisture. Really opens up the space. I prefer a glass table with a metal edge of some sort though —so it is visible and someone doesn’t accidentally walk into it. It also makes the glass secure on the base.

• Ellie C.
    Original Author
    7 months ago

My current coffee table is 30” x48”. The current circle ones I’m looking at are 32”.

• njmomma
    7 months ago

I have a glass coffee table also. I love it! Had it for years! But with that said….. I cringe every time a child plays near it and Glass scratches. Get something that you love, that is durable and easy to live with.

• Ellie C.
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I’ve never had a glass one, but that’s great to know because I have cats who will definitely scratch it up so maybe that’s not the right option.

• ffpalms
    7 months ago

I’d consider getting a round ottoman instead of a coffee table. In my house, we have our feet up more often than we have a drink at hand, and you can use a tray for drinks when needed.

• Susie .
    7 months ago

We have only had ottomans for the last 30 years. Although I love the look of some coffee tables, I just like having an ottoman so much more.

• pkpk23
    7 months ago

My daughter lived in 10' wide small house for several years. She had an oval metal coffee table with glass top-perfect visually and for accidentally bumping into.