Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_878474731

did they repair the roof well? and electrical work

Web User
last month
last modified: last month

hello,

please help, looking for second opinion. had roof repaired, how did they do? you can see where the old dark wood was cut before, maybe halfway down including removing the bottom perpendicular beams, like five or six trusses in a row? thats what we had to start with. i think thats one unaltered you can sort of see in one of the pics. it looks to me like they connected new wood to the old, ran that new wood to their new squares in the middle then out to those walls on the sides. sorry if its hard to see in the photos. will this pass inspection? if not, can the old trusses be repaired better or do we have to replace them? what time and cost? will the house get tagged?

also had some electrical work done. are these wires here ok? i know some of this wasnt there before, maybe most of it. it's in front of and around the access hatch and run across the walkspace.

thanks much for your help.

Comments (8)

• Seabornman
    last month

What caused this repair to be needed? Was there any engineering done, or did the contractor make it up? I'm assuming the latter. Do you live somewhere that insulation is not required, because there are areas with none and areas with, at best, R-11. I don't know if it's legal to run wiring all over the place on top of the trusses, but it makes it hard to insulate. Will it pass inspection? Maybe.

Web User thanked Seabornman
  • Web User
    Original Author
    last month

water damage, had to get a lot of stuff removed. no engineer, contractor got up there and put that in. do need more insulation, that had been removed due to the damage also. we don't have the best feeling about it at this point and arent sure what the best way to go forward is. should we find someone else? will there be other problems? will anyone get in trouble if an inspector or engineer comes? thank you

• millworkman
    last month

" will anyone get in trouble if an inspector or engineer comes? "

Were building permits pulled?

• cat_ky
    last month

I would hope you got permits, and an inspector will have to come, before you can close it in. I dont like the look of all those wires running all over up there.

• Web User
    Original Author
    last month

we dont have the most experience with renovating/contractors. recently found out permits were not pulled. im reading and i see one can pull permits after the fact, would that still get them or us in trouble? i see cost is a bit greater that way.

but i also found they did the new gas line in a very illegal and dangerous way, just unsleeved thru attic rather than trenched outside. house could blow up. they did the roof themselves wo an engineer and its a lot different/less than what i think was there originally. risk of collapse? stand up less to storms/tornados? it sounds like the electric isnt great, thats a potential fire isnt it? and if they do any plumbing that could be flooding and water damage right?

they're nice people but we're very concerned with quality of work and safety now, any other issues that might come up in the future. could they pay inspectors and engineers to just sign off? would we have to get our own plumber/electric etc? we've sunk some money into this already but we dont feel safe. should we continue work with these people? or is it possible to just get the money back and walk away and start with someone else? will any of this follow us?

sorry for all the questions. thanks again for the help

• Web User
    Original Author
    last month

3onthetree, thanks a lot for the detailed rundown. i was informed by the gas company that running any lines in attic and walls is very illegal and they must be sleeved and sealed outside underground, to vent to the outside in the event of failure anywhere on the line. maybe strict codes here? i have come to believe permits are needed for roof repair here too.

would a home inspector report unpermitted work? we would rather not get us or anyone else in trouble if possible, we intend to rectify/permit it.

• millworkman
    last month

"we would rather not get us or anyone else in trouble if possible, we intend to rectify/permit it."

Apply for the permit now explaining your contractor did not get a permit. Let them come and inspect and flag what they feel needs to be repaired. Then compare your list before hiring an inspector.

Web User thanked millworkman