Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalennoxa

Does anyone like this look?

I saw a rather shocking (to me) sight yesterday. Visited some friends, and they proudly said they had an arborist come and cut off the top half of their arborvitae trees to "keep them manageable". It was a very strange sight to see trees cut in half, but I thought maybe this was a thing. I guess they were looking to have something that would be approximately 9 feet high consistently around their small backyard, and the three they had planted were double that size, so they halved them. I see a few arborists seem to do this (picture shown is from one of them). Is this common?

Comments (21)

• callirhoe123
    last month

I certainly hope not!

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked callirhoe123
  • pennlake
    last month

If they were all touching and made a solid green wall....maybe. Like that...no.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked pennlake
  • LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON
    Original Author
    last month

I was so shocked I didn't take a picture. But no, they were more spaced apart. However, maybe in a few years they could grow that way (though I don't think that was my friends' original idea).

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last month

Arborists hopefully only do this sort of thing when a home owner has chosen the wrong size shrub/tree for the space. Not a good look or practice. The right plant for the right space is my motto, of course some are either mislabeled or outgrow the listed size.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • cecily 7A
    last month

There's a home near me with a row of arbs spaced apart. The owners shear what they can reach to keep a separation between the arbs. Above arm's reach the arbs fill out and grow together. It looks silly to me but it's their choice. So maybe arb abuse is pretty common.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked cecily 7A
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

Lopping them off only looks good when it is done like this:

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last month

My first thought exactly,

haha!

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last month

Okay, see the following photos for the actual "look"...

• artinnature
    last month

"Does anyone like this look?"

Yes, a lot of people. Back when I was a professional pruner, customers asked me to to do this ALL THE TIME. I find it horrific, and I always tried to talk them out of it or suggest a more selective approach, but sometimes it came down to: do the work and get paid -- or walk away.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked artinnature
    Original Author
    last month

Do you think it was because they liked the half tree look, or they really wish that they had chosen a tree that topped out much smaller? Or were they aiming for the topiary walled shrub look?

• artinnature
    last month

Oh, who knows why really, probably a combination of things. I often felt that they were trying to project an image of being the tidy neighbor, the one who does not let things get out of hand. That, and some type of OCD, where "crisp lines" are always a good thing, even when it comes to plants.

And no, nobody wants to admit that they chose the wrong plant. But usually people chose the "wrong" plant because of price/size at planting: "I'm going to buy 20 of these Leyland Cypress and plant them 6 inches from my neighbor, look how huge they are, and cheap!"

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked artinnature
  • bengz6westmd
    last month
    last modified: last month

Looks like the old crew-cuts men/boys used to get in the 50s and 60s.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked bengz6westmd
  • D M PNW
    last month

It is very common around here. I don't even like to see a single arb being used at house corners.

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked D M PNW
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last month

that is an not arborist.. its a guy with cutters and chainsaw who doesnt know what the **** hes doing and is proud to brag about it ...

what an idiot..

and as to your friends.. two thumbs up for not telling them.. lol ...

ken

LaLennoxa 6a/b Hamilton ON thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Either way, chopped off or not, I don’t like the look, but I don’t like Arborvitae at all. Even though I have two planted way before I knew anything about plants/bushes/gardening. Every year I swear I am going to have them removed and then it doesn’t happen, due to other priorities. Oh well…..

debra

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last month

Looks harsh, rounding off the tops would have made for a significant improvement!

• rosaprimula
    last month

I am unpleasantly reminded of my teeth.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last month

Rosa, a good chuckle to go with my morning coffee !! :)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    last month
    last modified: last month

Yes, in a formal garden like This and for the movie Heaven can wait with Warren Beatty, and the series Dynasty. Fabulous location.

-Babka

• Jay 6a Chicago
    last month

I grew a row of arbs like those once. I wanted then to grow together to make a screen. When they do finally blend together, there are some overlapping side branches that die from lack of sunlight hitting them. It looks like they may have cut them back so the sides could get sunlight. It would need to be repeated every few years. My row of arbs was just getting to that point where they would screen completely, when they all mysteriously died. Some of their side branches were already dying at that point. The arbs pictured will fill in within 2 years, I'd say.