Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
priya_p85

Looking for inputs to improve the appearance of bricks

Piya
last month

Could you kindly provide suggestions on how to embellish the brickwork and recommend decorative items that could be placed on the bricks to enhance their visual appeal? Not sure what kind of plants wil look good on them.

Additionally, I would appreciate any further ideas to beautify the garden area surrounding the bricks.

Comments (15)

• floraluk2
    last month
    last modified: last month

I like the bricks, although the mortar joints seem a bit too thick. They are just honest bricks. What spoils the bed is the utility pipes and the blobby planting. All the garden needs is good dense planting, not knick knacks. Something evergreen all year and something colourful for the growing season. What those plants would be depends on your location.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

The bricks look fine and in good shape. They need no embellishment. And any plant will look good against them.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last month
    last modified: last month

I agree, the bricks look great. However, I would get rid of the pansies and shrubs and move the tree out farther into the yard. The shrubs and tree will outgrow that space. Then, I would plant perennial gardens with plants of varying heights in the two beds. I don't know where you are located, so cannot suggest specific plants, but Hellebores and some Euphorbia are evergreen, so they could be interspersed with other perennials, so you have some color in the winter.

• D M PNW
    last month

Finish painting the downspout the wall color.

• richfield95
    last month

I think the bricks are nice, that you just need some different plants. Unfortunately Im not a plant person so i cant give you specifc advice.

Can you provide your state or planting zone so that others may provide specifc ideas?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

Black mulch would have been a better choice next to this brick color & exposed aggregate sidewalk color.

• apple_pie_order
    last month

Buy twice as many pansies and petunias. Group them by color for more impact.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last month

The bricks are handsome. Toss the knick-knacks and plant more flowers. Not more KINDS of flowers but more of the same.

• Katie McFadden
    last month

Bigger plants, the bricks are fine.

• Jenny
    last month

A black trellis with a climatis climbing it would be pretty

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

Nothing on the brick but the landscaping is what will enhance that brick so not so much that is completely covers the brick. I would not do the big bushy tree near the entry since the entry is already hidden leave it as open as possible and maybe a bright color for the front door.The brick is actaully anice accent on the house so I would tend to not cover it up with tall bushy plants and depending where you live a nice dselection of perennials for the basic landscaping then adding a few annuals for color is a nice way to go . I like some spring bulbs in the mix for that first burst of color . It maight be nice to do 23 large planters along the garage wall instead of the bed which IMO is too shallow then make the bedin front of the house about 2x as deep . Getting the hose reel off that wall would be ahuge improvement too.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    29 days ago

It’s the clutter throwing things off. Do low, spreading evergreen shrubs as foundation plantings. Get rid of all the potted plants and hanging plants and trellises and anything else you are able to pick up and carry away. Is that artificial turf near the entry?? And a tarp in the seating area? The front entry should be clear and well lit. Stand farther away and get more pictures with the sun at your back so the entry is better lighted.

• Jennz9b
    29 days ago

you have gotten good advice- get rid if the clutter and plant larger plants/more of the same plant in larger groupings. right now you have the hair plug effect from too small plantings.

• dan1888
    29 days ago

I'd celebrate the brick with a complimentary wall color. Teacup Rose 2170-50 | Benjamin Moore 2024 Colr Trends. And paint the white trim to match the bricks.

• Kendrah
    29 days ago

Plant larger shrubs to visually ground this area from a distance and cover the brick. If you like flowers, place a large pot between the downspout and hose and on the right side of the walkway in the front corner of the soil garden area. Plant big blossoming flowers there to punctuate the shrubs with a bit of color and floral interest.