Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerrythesurfer

Extra Long 9' Bathroom Vanity

jerrythesurfer
25 days ago
last modified: 25 days ago

Building a custom home. The bathroom is about 15'x20'. Current plan calls for the vanity being 9' 3" x 24". The vanity will be floating about 16" off the finish floor. Also spec'd a single 24" wide undermount sink in the cernter of the vanity. I know many like 2 sinks but we find it unnecessary plus I like lots of deck space and maximum number of draws. People have commented that we should have dual sinks but we like the look of a single sink and don't care about resale value; this is our house. Has anyone designed with a extra long vanity and what is your opinion?

Comments (11)

• AnnKH
    25 days ago

We had a 6' vanity with one sink toward the end; I am with you, I'd much rather have 1 sink and more counter - though 9 feet does seem a lot.

I'm curious how big the rest of the house is, if the bathroom is larger than most bedrooms.

jerrythesurfer thanked AnnKH
  • T T
    25 days ago

One of our vanities is not quite as large (it's 8' long), but it has one sink and a makeup area. If you need a makeup area, that's an easy way to break it up a bit. If you don't need a makeup area, I would do the sink in the center and then do drawer banks on each side to accommodate what each of you need in terms of storage and give each of you a dedicated side for counter space.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

Probably isn't going to look good. I would also assume 108 inches has more than enough storage room in drawers that you would not want to junk up the counter top and ruin the look of a floating vanity ?

But, it's your house, and depends the actual design of the vanity and the WALL above it, and the entire bath around it.

LAKE SIDE · More Info

LAKE SIDE · More Info

• S M
    24 days ago

ours is a little shorter, 8’ long. Was originally going to be 10’ and I’m glad we changed plans a bit. The 8’ with double sinks provides plenty of storage and counter space. We moved sinks in a bit toward center. I’m left handed and DH is right handed so we have the perfect amount of space on our dominant sides this way.

• arcy_gw
    24 days ago

MIL put an old run of kitchen cabinetry in her mud room bathroom. Single sink. It was the perfect place for changing babies when her grandchildren came for visits!!! Now everyone has raised their bathroom cabinetry to kitchen height so we don't break our backs but the unencumbered run of counter also comes in handy!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    24 days ago

I sure hope you have a fabulous house cleaner in a bathroom that size . I need to see the plan and also the size of the whole home. I actually really dislike huge bathrooms I clean all of mine every day so not wanting to clean spaces the size of a good kitchen is not my choice. I know this is your home and you do what you like but bigger is often NOT better even in kitchens . I have no idea what the reason is for a 9' long vanity unless you plan to live in there for hours. A good bathroom is designed for how you use it just like every other space in a home . I agree a single sink is always my choice but many love to get togther in the bathroom to get ready I guess Info , a floor plan are things we need .

• la_la Girl
    24 days ago

we have double sinks and they fit how DH and get ready at night (we chat about our kids bc they can’t hear us in there lol) but even if couples don’t do that -a second sink has a lot of utility I think, if there’s plenty of space seems a shame to forgo it

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    24 days ago

One sink is absolutely fine if you want it. A 9’ vanity, though, is very long. Our Master Bathroom was about the size of yours. We had two sinks, a makeup area, lots of drawers, - but the cabinets were installed with some angles and not one long thing along the wall. (Our house was about 4000 sq ft.). We’ve always had double sinks but honestly could have gotten away with one. Everyone is different.

• kandrewspa
    24 days ago

I think one sink in a 9' vanity will look odd. I wouldn't put just one in anything over 5' wide. Would a tall linen cabinet be useful for you? I have a linen closet in my bedroom (primary bedroom isn't close to other bedrooms where there is another linen closet). I like having a space for spare towels, sheets and blankets just for my room right there. I currently have a 7' vanity with two sinks. DH uses the other bathroom, so the only thing I use the second sink for is hand washing delicates. But I like to do that in the morning while I'm getting ready so I don't forget about them soaking, and get it done early in the day.

• Boxerpal
    24 days ago

Wow a 9 foot Vanity. I could take a nap on that if the surface were not so hard. I am sure you will enjoy having that vast amount of space to use. I think I would still like the balance of two sinks but you do you and make it fabulous.

Here are a few I managed to find.

Luxurious Getaway at the Floridian Golf and Yacht Club · More Info

Contemporary White Kitchen · More Info

Philadelphia Master Bathroom · More Info