Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clairegs

Silver Cloud/Viscount White/Viscon White - beige tones?

cgs
24 days ago

Those of you who have this granite, does it look beige-y at all? I looked at a couple different slabs in 2 different stone yards. The first slab seemed like it had a lot of beige in the background--like the white parts were really beige. The second slab was better (I'm trying to avoid beige.)

At the second place, it seemed similar, but the stone wasn't in as well lit an area.

When they brought out the second stone at place #1 (they had to pull it out from the back--it wasn't on the showroom floor), I thought wow, I really like that. Closer up, I could see some of the beige.

I got a sample to bring home, though I think the sample is more beige than the slab.

So does it read gray/beige or gray/white in your kitchen?

Comments (26)

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    24 days ago

I think you should consider what it’ll look like in your own kitchen. Everyone’s natural light, light fixtures, slabs, etc are unique. Also, I’m sure it’s possible that some slabs out there actually have beige. It’s not unusual to have natural stone vary widely.

• Boxerpal
    24 days ago

I agree with Connecticut Yankee..

Lighting can drastically change the color white or gray or beige. Windows can change lighting, LED or electrical light fixtures can also change colors. Take your cabinet door with your to the slab granite yard and study it with a few flashlights.

A great article on lighting

Help!! I new WHITE kitchen cabinets look yellow!

See how many variations of the same stone below

Transitional Kitchen Remodel Edgewater, MD by Reico Kitchen & Bath · More Info

12804 - Silver Cloud Granite Project · More Info

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    24 days ago

Don't go by a sample--it could be old or from a different slab than you are considering.

The slabs you posted look gray/white/black to me, not beige at all. Very pretty stone.

• cgs
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Yes, looking at the exact slab in my kitchen would be ideal, but unfortunately that's not possible lol. I did try my phone flashlight to see how it looked. I was just wondering if anyone with this granite had a similar impression of theirs.

The sample I got is more beige than the slabs I saw I think. And I think it'll be ok. I'm looking at it in different lights at home.

Backsplash will be tricky since the kitchen guy said I should have that all picked out and ordered before the countertop is installed--which I understand. That way there's no delay. But it's going to be a little tough

• amateurdeziner
    24 days ago

It’s much better to wait to choose backsplash after your countertops are installed. Some people have waited as much as a year or two. No need to rush. Don’t let your “kitchen guy” pressure you. You don’t want to have any regrets on your choices.

• RedRyder
    24 days ago

It’s almost impossible to choose the right backsplash before you install the slab in your kitchen. You have different lighting in your house and the backsplash is a vertical space.

I understand the contractor wants you to have everything there when he comes, but it’s easy to mess up the backsplash choice picking it in a tile store.

• Shasta
    24 days ago

Did they bring the slabs outside? In my experience they are willing to do that so you can at least compare your 2 contenders under the same light source. Also if you have the design they can blue tape your layout on the slabs and you can get an idea of what your favorite parts of the slab will look like all together. It may be that the tan parts of the slabs don’t need to be used.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

The contractor said....

"Backsplash will be tricky since the kitchen guy said I should have that all picked out and ordered before the countertop is installed--which I understand."

NO NO No NO !!! A thousand no's

Do not fall for one single word of that bullshit ( pardon my Francais)

You could tile a backsplash a year from now!

It can not go on until the tops are in place. Get samples, line them up and select after install. It goes on in a day, gets grouted the next day. There will be no tragedy in a clean painted wall for weeks! Don't make that commitment yet, and you said "tricky", so I want to know more.

What are your cabinets, the flooring? Tops are but one part of a whole. You are seeing "beige" in these tops? I don't see it, and even if faint, the GRAY is going to dominate.

What is the layout, do you know where the seams will be? Do you have a corner turn in the perimeter? In short? Show the rest!

Before you settle on this granite? You take a drawer face, unscrewed TO THE SLAB, and in daylight.

i still want pictures of the existing kitchen : ) and the rest of the plan .

You may end up thanking me: ) or NOT, but nothing to lose by putting it all out there, and everything to gain.

• cgs
    Original Author
    24 days ago

I'll ask him again about the backsplash. If we wait months, I imagine we'll need to hire someone to do that separately, which is not a big deal. He even broke out backsplash separately from the rest of the labor, saying that people often do that themselves or hire someone else.

Floor is red oak--regular bruce flooring. Nothing fancy. Perimeter cabinets are natural maple and the island will be a darker brown.

I'm so *done* with shopping for granite, I'm not sure I want more opinions lol. My main thing was not to have brown countertops with the brown floor and brown cabinets. Too much brown, even though there's contrast.

I don't know yet where the seam will be. Countertop on sink wall is about 9.5 ft, then turn a corner and have 2ft more, then stove and another 15" countertop on the other side. Island is about 4ft x 3ft.

• M Miller
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

Regarding the backsplash - first, I want to reiterate that you should wait to choose a backsplash until everything else is installed. Second, I always advise people to remove the backsplash from the GC's Scope of Work. Then later, hire someone yourself to install the backsplash. The advantages to doing that are: takes the pressure off you, but more importantly, when you hire your own backsplash installer you are hiring someone who only does tile work every day, and they are going to have the expertise. As opposed to the GC who just gets someone on his crew to do it who will not have that level of skill. We have seen many times on this forum examples of the GC's tile installer not being that good.

Regarding the Viscon granite, I'll link a thread with 150 or so comments that has a lot of photos of this granite that you may find useful. Also, keep going to other stoneyards if you can to see more slabs. Or ask the 2 stoneyards to show you more Viscon granite slabs. Usually I think that Viscon granite has more white in its background than beige so I am surprised to see your post about the beige.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2690316/do-you-like-your-viscont-white-granite-counters

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    24 days ago

I understand design fatigue.

But this your money. There are tops in materials OTHER than granite. ".....Quartzite in perhaps Taj Mahal ? Brown, brown brown..doesn't dictate this top above all others.

Why is the island being stained when you are already in wood overload? What about painted?

You seem unwilling to show the exact samples, we're not even sure if this is refresh, or gut or??

But to turn the design fatigue, to oh, I'm "soooo over it"? Just remember you'll live with the result long after the "moolah" is spent.

Note? You want to know exactly where that seam will be , ( middle of the sink is best ) and how it will turn and which direction for the veining.

At the very least? Take the two dimensional feet and inches Layout PLAN to the stone yard.

• karin_mt
    23 days ago

That's one of my favorite stones, in part because it's a crisp, cool white. My brother has it and indeed it looks white - not beige - in his case.

• cgs
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Jany Moyer, I don't happen to have kitchen pictures of my current/original kitchen to upload. It is a total gut, so that would not be useful for this discussion. The island is being stained dark brown because that's what I chose. I don't want painted cabinets. *shrug*

I've been looking seriously at granite for several weeks and thinking about it/casually looking for months. I decided on granite for its properties--decided against quartzite and quartz. Taj Mahal is brown, so not sure why you're suggesting that. I only asked if others with this stone see it as white white or more beige in between the gray/black.

I will, at some point, know where the seam will be. The two slabs I'm considering will be work, imo, for my countertop layout. I don't need to take a diagram to the stone yard to see.

I also know what else is going on in my life and I'm trying to make this decision to free up brain space for other things.

fwiw, here's my kitchen layout. It's been tweaked since this but this is basically it.

This is my cabinet color around the perimeter.

This is the island color

@karin_mt thanks for your response.

• PRO
    23 days ago

After seeing your cabinet colors, especially the perimeter, I would not use that granite.

• cgs
    Original Author
    23 days ago

I'm going for this kind of look

Modern Maple Kitchen · More Info

• Boxerpal
    23 days ago

Cgs

I love your 2# and 3# inspiration photos. They are a bit darker more gold than the cabinet you are showing you have chosen. I love the slab backsplash look. I have it myself so I am totally biased.

Do you have to use that granite? I am seeing granite in your space but a different one.. Maybe Karin_MT can give you some suggestions.

I happen to love this combo below. The warmth of your yellow wood and brown wood work nicely with Yellow River Granite.

If your cabinets were like your inspiration photo than I think you could do this stone. For some reason the cool stone seems to be fighting with the warm woods.

Your inspiration photos is this cabinet below.

• cgs
    Original Author
    23 days ago

The wood will darken/yellow over time. I see what you mean, but I think it'll be ok. But I appreciate you putting that together like that. It helps.

I've been worried about the silver cloud having these beige areas, but I think it will look fine if it does--creamy white rather than white white? I don't think it's as beige as the sample I got, but also don't think it's as white white as it looks in the picture. I've also read (probably here) that if you want white countertops with natural maple, it should be pure white, rather than a creamy warm? I don't know. Again, i think either can look ok. I guess I'm not good with the tones/undertones and maybe that just means it's all fine to me. I don't think you have to stick with all warm or all cool.

I was talking to an acquaintance today who's an architect, and while she's not an interior designer by training she does do stuff like this and talked about warm/cool, undertones, etc and she thought it would work, but she may have just been trying to make me feel good lol.

My bedroom is yellow and gray. I guess I like the combination.

• PRO
    23 days ago

Yes, the cabinets in your inspiration photos are much less yellow than the one you posted. You would need to see all the materials in one place with your own eyes to determine if they work well. The last photo Boxerpal posted looks great, but your cabinets don't look like that.

• PRO
    23 days ago

There's no prohibition against warm and cool colors, it's a matter of how it all looks together. I recently did a home office that's gray cabinetry, gray grasscloth and gray fabrics. But to warm it up we used cherry wood on the desk top, a honey oak floor and a caramel color ottoman. Cool and warm, and it looks awesome.

• RedRyder
    23 days ago

Make sure the elements work together. I would hate to have you love the maple cabinets and love the granite and then decide they look awful in your house together.

I know you’re “granite weary” but was there any River White granite at the stone yards? Did you bring one of your doors with you? It’s not too late to take one door to the slab you love and check how they look. You will never regret another visit but might regret NOT doing this again. (Been there - granite shopping can make you exhausted. Found mine at the FIFTH place we visited and I was not having fun anymore. So,of course we found 5 slabs of what I wanted when the other 4 places had nothing like it. Hang in there!)

• cgs
    Original Author
    23 days ago
    last modified: 23 days ago

River White was one of the first that caught my eye and I got a sample and looked at it several times at different places. I just couldn't get on board with the purple spots. I wanted to love it but just couldn't. Even on my last visit when I was looking at Viscount White, I kept trying to accept the purple spots on the River White slabs and couldn't.

I only have a small sample of my wood for the cabinet. Maybe I'll borrow a door sample and take another look. The color is not as yellow as it looks in the image I posted.

I think this is a bit more accurate, though the grain more subtle. I don't know--maybe looks a little pink here and it's not pink at all, but I think this is closer in color.

• PRO
    23 days ago

Well that's a horse of a different color! It could work.

Put 'em all together and see how you like it.

• karin_mt
    23 days ago

These choices look great to me, but I'm a geologist not any kind of designer. Viscont White is a clean and uncomplicated color, which is why I like it. But then again, I always lean toward cool colors so maybe that's part of my preference for it.

• cgs
    Original Author
    23 days ago

I need @Boxerpal to put them together for me lol. I might go back with a door and look at it again. The closer stone yard isn't that far.

• RedRyder
    23 days ago

Go to the stone yard! Reassurance is good.