Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beautifulhabitat

Flower bed novice needs advice: what can I plant together?

I'm an interiors Pro, but gardening novice. I'd like to plant flowers at my new house. Can I mix seasonal items in one bed? Specifically I'd like tulips for the spring and salvia and Black-eyed Susans for summer. Can these be planted on top of each other, or would I need to designated space for each one? Other tips or advice I should consider? Thank you!

Comments (5)

• catalyst95
    10 years ago
    Yes you can plant seasonals, or annuals, on top of a perennial like tulips. Don't cut the foliage off when the tulips are done blooming. Let it die back naturally. The growing salvia and black-eyed Susan's will cover it. Black-eyed Susan's will re-seed as will some salvia.
    Hope this helps!
    Beautiful Habitat: Design & Decoration thanked catalyst95
  • yvonnecmartin
    10 years ago
    Tulips don't reliably come back. They also should not be watered after they die back. On the other hand, daffodils do and often the clumps grow so large that you have to divide them. Consider getting some garden design books from the library to decide on your style. The most experienced, expert, gardeners plan for winter interest first, then add flowers. This means shrubs and perhaps a birdbath or other permanent piece.
    Beautiful Habitat: Design & Decoration thanked yvonnecmartin
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Species tupips like kaufmanias do come back for several seasons, but are not nearly as showy as hybrids like Darwins. For a perennial bed, it's best if the succession plants aren't right on top of each other, just next to each other. With your desired plants, I'd add in a vertical structure for a clematis, and a large clump of pampas grass to give additional fall and winter interest. Then fill in with cool season annuals like pansies, and yanking them in favor of warm season ones like petunias. Like a lot of things, what you achieve success with will be dependent on your climate and soil. Think about beginning a compost program to improve your soil and have it tested to see what your pH level nutrient content might be. And I'm assuming that this is a full sun spot because of your plant choices, but if you've not been in the house a full season to figure out the sun path across the property, you may want to hold off if the spot is questionable for 6 hours of sun.
    Beautiful Habitat: Design & Decoration thanked User
  • Caroline Chavez
    10 years ago
    Plant native to your area. You'll get butterflies and save on water. The natives will thrive and need minimal if any fertilizer. Pick plants with color for each season and combine!
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    10 years ago
    Most local independent garden centers (at least in my area) have great handouts showing lush succession planting plans that you can use, and the staff will be more than happy to help you tweak them to your personal tastes. It's hard to say via text "plant this with this like this" because there are more variables at play than just color, like size. bloom time, what the foliage looks like out of bloom, water needs, etc. Even something as simple as a consultation with a garden coach in your area could be really helpful.
    Beautiful Habitat: Design & Decoration thanked Revolutionary Gardens