Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_peters3468

Desperate for help with Master Bedroom. Ready to give up.

Karen P
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've.been working on my bedroom for a few months and just can't get it the way I want it. I know how I want it to feel, I just can't seem to describe it correctly or make it happen. I've painted the walls four (or five?) times and the ceiling three times. I had a previous post in which I said I wanted a spa feeling. I think maybe island retreat may be more accurate. All of the wonderful people who assisted me agreed that I need to start a new Dilemma, so here goes. Bed, dresser, chair (need new slipcover), secretary, drapes STAY. More info & pix to follow. Gave up on gray/green/blue walls, but now thinking accent wall behind bed? Bed skirt color? Please please help! Oh, must spend as little as possible!!

Comments (477)

• TraceyE
    8 years ago

Get well soon

• Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Tracey! The medicine doesn't seem to be helping much, which is why I tried the other remedy earlier. ;)
  • User
    8 years ago

I think you're doing a great job with your room. I hope you get well soon. Rest up and spoil yourself, plenty of fluids.

• lynartist
    8 years ago
    Sorry your under the weather:( hope you turn the corner soon! I love your room!
  • Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Chook and Lynartist!!
  • PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    8 years ago

Hi, see these beautiful designs, they might inspire you.

Azalea Cottage - Bedroom · More Info

Rustic Modern Design · More Info

Model Home · More Info

• Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Only if I win the lottery Angelica.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    :)
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Hi Karen, some day eh! :(
  • Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi lynartist! Yeah, sure has been one to forget. Lol!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    No doubt.
  • Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Terry toon - I am not going to fight with you. I am not a child and this is not high school.
  • User
    8 years ago

TT, please stop putting up your selfies on design threads. Open a Facebook account for that.

Karen P thanked User
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    So sorry Karen, shouldn't have posted anything. Good nite all:(
    Karen P thanked lynartist
  • User
    8 years ago

Not your fault, Lyn.

• Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    No, not your fault lynartist. No worries!! Hope you are doing well. We are preparing for a big winter storm here. 1-1/2-2' of snow expected! Just hope we don't lose power.
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Please take care! Hope your prepared! Yikes, that's a lot of snow; guess you'll be hunkered down for awhile.
  • Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks lynartist. I think we're ready. I guess time will tell!
  • terry toon
    8 years ago
    *YOU'RE prepared. Lol
  • User
    8 years ago

Terry Troll, get your w@nking out of this homeowners bedroom. You don't belong on a design site.

• Natalie
    8 years ago

Hi Karen!

I'm just now seeing your thread. Fabulous choices from what I've read/seen. Do you have recent photos? I'd love to see how it turned out. :))

Karen P thanked Natalie
  • Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Natalie!! Thanks for stopping by! I have updated photos in a private Ideabook and will send you a link if I can message you. Thanks for your interest!
  • User
    8 years ago

Well, I've never been on here before, but I'd like to see!

• Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Done Tribble!
  • Deborah Jarman
    8 years ago

Arrrgh! I read every post in the thread, was salivating over how gorgeous it was coming along and then it was like someone ripped out the final pages in a captivating novel. I would love to see the final result as well.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Ditto!

• Deborah Jarman
    8 years ago

Hi Tribble! Not to hijack Karen's post, but the library is just about done. Check it out when you get a minute... https://www.houzz.com/discussions/finally-dream-home-library-want-to-incorporate-game-table-dsvw-vd~3786387

• User
    8 years ago

Lovely, thanks Deborah!

• marrymaid
    8 years ago
    You have been holding out on me. I want to see. You do such a nice job on everything I have seen. :)
  • Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone! How about I post some more pictures here? I'll just have to go find them. This thread has been dead for a while, but I should have updated it for anyone who was following along. Sorry for that. Tagan - ?? I thought you were in the IB?
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Looks like you have a following Karen;)! Better post those pretty pics!
  • Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm on it lynartist :) ! Hehe. The dresser isn't styled in the second picture. I could find one with it styled, so I'll have to take one.
  • Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    More views.
  • Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Last ones. The secretary styled. Thank you all for your interest and taking the time to read through the entire thread!
  • lynartist
    8 years ago
    Lovely!
  • User
    8 years ago

A very serene room. Well done!

• Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks!
  • Terri Henderson
    8 years ago

Lovely!!! Did you do that painting? I love it! And since you mentioned the down alternative comforter, I wanted to mention that we love the one I got for my daughter at Overstock.com. It is so light and fluffy. She just moved out of her college dorm for summer, and I had to wash everything, and it washed beautifully. And if it is too warm, you can always turn it down at night and have a light blanket underneath.

• Deborah Jarman
    8 years ago

It turned out so beautiful. So many pretty details pulled together masterfully. Your painting is stunning and I love the secretary with the blue fabric in the back to highlight the contents. Well done!

• Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Terri and deborahjarman! I did find a duvet insert I love but now I can't remember where I found it. I'm not much help, huh? And yes, I painted the ocean scene above the dresser and my husband made the frame for it. Thank you so much for your kind words!
  • Natalie
    8 years ago

Hi Karen!

I've been reading and looking over the photos and my goodness, this is Magnificent! Love the color palette... Your painting above the dresser is Amazing-excellent! Secretary is great too. Very nice Karen... :))

• Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Wow, thanks Natalie!
  • Kathy
    8 years ago
    Great job Karen.
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Gorgeous! Great job! I'm a sucker for vintage furniture. Everything is perfect :)

• Karen P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much! I'm really blown away by these comments.
  • felizlady
    8 years ago
    The obvious thing I do not see is art on the walls. When hung on a blank wall or over low furniture, hang it at eye level. When hung over taller furniture, hang it with the bottom of the art 6-8" above the furniture piece, unless there is something placed on top of the piece which would block the art...then a little bit higher may work. Family photos are nice hung vertically on a narrower section of wall. If you read in bed, make sure there is sufficient lighting. And an accent color could be included in accessories, pillows, or in the art. Just be sure to repeat the accent color (I like to have three examples of an accent color in the room.
  • marrymaid
    8 years ago
    Wow! You never cease to amaze me. Love the colors and your painting is beautiful. Tracy, you are so talented. Wish I could accomplish some dyi, but leaving that to all of you. Just WOW!
  • jen0069
    8 years ago
    Truly a beautiful room!! Well done!
  • Ramona
    7 years ago

Wow, Karen. I lost track of your thread, but you finished it wonderfully. Didn't you need a tv? Was that left by the wayside. So happy your husband is happy too. Great job.

• Karen P
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Ramona!! Thank you so much for checking in. Yes, the tv still goes in here but my husband hasn't hung it yet (it's on the dresser temporarily). Thanks for all of your help!