Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujeyvaldes

Don’t know what to do?

sujeyvaldes
4 years ago
I am interested in purchasing this home. It is a very high end Mediterranean home. Normally I would not bat an eye at painting cabinets and walls, but a house has a special kind of craftsmanship I am having a hard time deciding what to do.

I need help with Kitchen and Master Bath ideas.

Su

Comments (17)

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Congratulations on your new beautiful home. Would see if the corbels on the ceiling could be removed. As far as painting, if it were me, I would paint the ceilings and the walls a light color and get a new backsplash with simpler light fixtures.

As far as your lovely bathroom I again personally would replace the vanity unit with something less ornate and something simple. I’m sure there will be other posters that will disagree.

• Brown Dog
    4 years ago

From what I can see in your photos, a lot of the ornate stuff is decoration. If you like the architecture and location of this home, buy it and put your own stamp on it. A lot of the decoration can be taken out and sold to those who will appreciate it. This home has a lot of really nice elements that just need to be simplified. Love the kitchen ceiling but would remove the corbel add-ons. Corinthian columns should only be found in Greece. And maybe libraries.

• Helen
    4 years ago

The kitchen is pretty salvageable - what is causing it to look over the top are the ceiling corbels as well as whatever is on the walls - is that some kind of faux paint finish? I think you could calm it down just be repainting and perhaps changing the large light fixture although that might actually be okay once the walls have been neutered :-).

I don't think there is much you can do with the bathroom except embrace it because changing the tub and the vanity would seem to be expensive - is it possible to change what looks like some kind of sickly looking pink and black marble surrounding the bath tub or would that compromise the integrity of the bath tub waterproofing? I think the over the top bathroom could be kind of fun - maybe you could do some kind of Hollywood Regency accents and just go with its roccoconess :-).

• PRO
    Maraya Interior Design
    4 years ago

OMG! There is way too much going on! Paint the kitchen ceiling white (both plaster and wood) and the stove and sink cabinet white also. you don't need to remove any corbels, this white will soften them and add a layer. darken stain the middle island cabinet. and OMG! AGAIN! what is that wall? paint it a solid color, for heaven's sake! That will pretty much fix this mess! As for the bathroom, well at least paint the tub apron white and leave the vanity as is- that will simplify the place and make the vanity stand out like an 'antique'. I would not be able to live in this home the way it is, but the painting will actually make it really pretty. it's the different colors and textures that are ruining it. Corinthian columns are another story. would have to see a different picture to comment

• marylut
    4 years ago

If you only paint the cabs and walls, will that really take care of your issues with the house?

• Daniela Marino
    4 years ago

If the rest of the house is similar to the kitchen and what it can be seen through the door... Jesus... it isn’t “high end” is McMansion!
    I can see 5 different wood finishes in kitchen: stark white in 1 island, cream in uppers, nogal in lowers, cherry in 2 island and orange in ceiling! plus 3 diff. finishes on the walls, plus the floor, and 2 diff counters? And Corinthian columns... Too much for me!

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

Can we ask what you like about the house? Maybe that can give us an idea if it would be worth it to you. Sorry about the congratulations, I thought you had already bought the house.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Way too over the top for me so I think you need to figure how much $$$$$ you want to spend to make it what you want. IMO it would takes too much money to bring it even close to my style so I would pass. I honestly don’t see much cratfsman ship but a lot of mcmansion addons and not IMO the best taste.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

I had trouble finding anything that I liked about that house. Then I spied the Wolf in the background. Yeh, I would keep the cooker. And the windows are nice.

The bathroom looks like it was put together from leftovers from other jobs. Pink, black, gray & beige??? The vanity is horrendous. Who wants to clean towel lint & dead skin flakes out of all that carving???

• Angel 18432
    4 years ago

Kitchen: If you got rid of whatever is on the walls, then paint the walls, remove the corbels and paint the ceiling white, it may be salvageable.

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Do you love it? Enough to spend lots of money making changes?

• jslazart
    4 years ago

I think you should carry the theme from the underwater bathroom through the rest of the house... goldfish and all. (I can't be the only one who reverse image searched for the listing...)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

First I would slow way down - there is a lot going on and it appears to be a large home. You should figure out how much you want to spend or redoing things. Keep in mind it is a very specific style of home and no amount of money can change that.

I would paint the kitchen walls first and change the backsplash. The wood ceiling in there is fabulous! IF those corbels are able to be stained the same color as the ceiling that would be nice. The 3 color of cabinets are too much in how they are laid out but I would wait on doing anything to them until the paint is changed and the backsplash is done. I would also change the curtain over the window and do nothing. Maybe change the pendant lights to something simpler. I rather like that large fixture in the middle - it goes with the house.

I think the bathroom is beautiful but the gray walls don't go. Paint - I would also pint the tub deck the same color as well or a crisp white like the window trim ( pull off the wood carvings ) . I am not a fan of a fussy vanity but in this case it really goes with the style of the home. I would live with it and see how you feel, then maybe paint it out or try staining it...

This looks like a really fun house - soften things that are jarring but don't pull out all the character of the space..

Good luck and post pictures of the transformations...

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

@jslazart - I didn't know about the image search! Thanks!

@ sujeyvaldes - The house is amazing! There are some spaces that area fine - just a little updating and some areas that are a bit much for me. I happen to love that fish bathroom! Its fun and different.

What a great home you have to personalize... take your time; let the house speak to you. I think some carefully planned changes can make a big difference without succumbing to the "tear it all out and start over mentality ".

You may want to find a very experienced interior designer who specializes in this sort of home.

Please post before and after photos

• PRO
    Kiyohara Moffitt
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I wouldn't worry at all about painting the walls and cabinets, if the style of the cabinets is to your liking. I would paint them. It is an odd mix of contemporary and various styles which is busy and confusing, to my eye. It is actually calling out for someone to simplify it visually and unclutter it.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

I don't see much craftsmanship here. Only thing I might,might, want to save would be the kitchen ceiling sans corbels. If I had to do the kitchen in stages,then I'd lose all upper cabs,the corbels, lighting over island sink, and the wall treatment. Before I moved in.