Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_180036

Keep, Donate or Repupose

User
10 years ago
We all have items in our home that we have kept through the years for various reasons, sentimental value, gifts or we just have not taken the time to thin things out. My parents finally moved to an assisted living facility and I just finished cleaning out a collection of 60 years of "stuff". I brought some of the stuff to my house and I have no idea why on a few items! Thought it would be fun if we all shared these questionable items we need to make a decision on, Furniture, Accessories, Linens. Should we keep them for future generations, donate them to someone who would enjoy or find a new purpose for these items.

Comments (143)

• Ann
    10 years ago
    @mollysmom123 - I had a doll much like a Shirley Temple in the late 1950s. That same great aunt made a whole box of outfits for that doll using the old sewing machine pictured above. She didn't have kids or grandkids of her own and I was her only grand niece, so she made so many clothes for my doll. I have the doll but think it's a bit scarey with its glass face so I bought 2 modern dolls the same size. Those dolls with all those homemade dresses, coats, purses, even Halloween costumes for the dolls, have been the favorite toy of all of my granddaughters:)
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I've seen doilies made into lampshades! I guess the person used plaster of Paris to shape and firm them . They put them over actual lampshade. Some were stiched together. Also stiched together and attached to duvet as a decorative top layer.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Thank y'all for helping me with my cappuccino maker. All in all then, it's looking like most folks are saying throw it out. It's easy to see how it would be part of my cluttered environment. Any more opinions or resources, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Here is one of the many doll outfits my great aunt made - amazing, isn't it?
  • mollysmom123
    10 years ago
    My aunt made clothes for Barbies and I inherited the biggest box of old barbies and old barbie clothes ever. That and all the Misty of Chincoteague books, from my older cousin who was like a movie star to me. Those dolls will be incredible memories for your granddaughters, Ann!
  • mollysmom123
    10 years ago
    Ann, those are heirlooms!
  • mollysmom123
    10 years ago
    bsellers - I'd have a hard time getting rid of it too, because hammered metal is cool. Is there a copper artist in your area? An artist coop - maybe donate materials to an artist.
  • mollysmom123
    10 years ago
    Maybe someone could make some jewelry out of it for you!
  • mollysmom123
    10 years ago
    Good night fellow clutter keepers. Going to a used book sale tomorrow, bringing in more stuff! I can hardly wait.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I know there are several "communities" of artists that rent warehouses to work in, plus weekend shows. I think I would probably surprise a hard working Italian man who has a faithful crowd of customers. I think he will be around for awhile and at least use it as decor. I don't want to give to someone who's business is in the toilet and ready to close yhe doors. I've only recently had the pleasure of meeting this man and enjoying his place. He works and works, lives at the restaurant. Nothing fancy but people stand in line. That's what I'd probably do. I googled brass cappuccino makers and there's quite the price range. Wow! I am not finding anyone who repairs this sort. Maybe ask in Starbucks!!! Lol! Who repairs your machines??? I've never sold on ebay or craigs list. I always just give stuff away. I'm lazy that way? Although I have to say, In my defense, its a lot easier to throw away than try to hang on to something until you see the recipient again! No wonder I have piles (of stuff) because I'm saving it for so&so.
  • mollysmom123
    10 years ago
    I think he will love it. Maybe he will give you gelato for life! The thing looks like it cost a fortune.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Ann, ALL of your things are truly beautiful. Impeccable. I think I could stare at those doll clothes for hours while deep in imagination. You need lots of photos for insurance purposes. Goodness sakes!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Mollysmom, it weighs a ton! Could that all be motor? Don't think so. I'm curious how much DOES IT WEIGH? I have to bring scale to it!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Mollysmom, just a thought to tell you. My mom REFUSED to have Barbie dolls in the house. She said they were too commercial so she allowed Angela Cartwright dolls and Betsy NC Call dolls. I think thats a large part of how my sister learned to sew. My mom was a rebel!!! Against the tide and wind...stubborn..of course we probably didn't have money enough for a Barbie is more likely the truth. That's hard to say when you're a parent.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    *McCall dolls
  • mollysmom123
    10 years ago
    It was different then wasn't it? True confession: I bought some old handmade hankies at a thrift store one time. They're in my dresser. I should bring them out and give them to my daughter. Another confession. I just don't like the face on the American Girl dolls. I don't know the dolls you referred to but I'm guessing they'll keep me from doing the dishes while I google them tomorrow! Dolls, that's a whole other ball of crazy.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    OMG, mollysmom, And A "Poor Pitiful Pearl" doll made my mom feel kinda bad bc she was so homely.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I loved "Poor Pitiful Pearl"!!!! I was trying so hard to remember the name of that doll recently.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    OH POOR PITIFUL PEARL STILL GETS MY HEARTSTRINGS
  • mollysmom123
    10 years ago
    Love PPP! Never seen her before - adorable.
  • mollysmom123
    10 years ago
    Love Angela Cartwright! Love Betsy McCall! My daughter has one doll we call Baby Mama Barbie - fishnets and all - it was a gift. But there's far worse - Barbie just had Boobs, but the current crop of dolls are dangerously anorexic, in need of a tube feeding. Something in favor of the AG dolls at least. I have two old Madame Alexander dolls but they are so ratty and I've never spent the time or money to have them fixed up. I should have, when she was little. Now I'm going to have trouble staying away from Ebay dolls. I'm glad your granddaughters have some beautiful dolls to play with, Ann!
  • mollysmom123
    10 years ago
    p.s. My husband and I call her that, not our daughter.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    10 years ago
    I have known people who kept so much stuff that it was later impossible for their heirs to know what had family meaning, what was junk, what was beloved. Overwhelmed, it all got tossed or donated! This reminds me not to clutter the meaningful things with just stuff. It helps me to pare down.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    10 years ago
    @mollysmom123 - the old photos NEED to be removed from the frames and put into acid-free photo albums or put between acid-free scrapbook "plastic" sleeve pages.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Greetings all! Had a very long week at work last week but I did keep up with all the comments. Some great comments, reminded me that I have my mother's dolls in the attic, vintage 1935-45, along with hand crocheted dollies my grandmother made and maybe a few dozen ladies kerchiefs! I cleaned out the attic over my Christmas break, but I really need to do a little more. Sigh.
    Update on the silver, I went to the farmers market yesterday and I bought an orchid. I maybe the only person crazy enough to buy a faux plant at the Farmer's market, but I do know my limitations with orchids. Oh the horrors of faux!!! hopefully I will be forgiven for my Houzz transgression!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Margaret- as much as everyone says they hate faux- I would wage pretty hefty that most of us have faux in our houses, probably many;) I do like that orchid in the silver bucket;) Orchids and animal print.... how divine!!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I have fake plants and will not get rid of them as they are used in my holiday decorations.
  • User
    10 years ago
    We all know I have fake lemons and limes;)
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have fake apples too! Don't shun me...
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Is this houzz approve.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I was being sarcastic. LOL. You know that I have had this display up for awhile.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I guess that I can remove the Easter display now.
  • User
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was not going to mention that my friend! LOL
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Is it still Spring. LOL
  • merippy
    10 years ago
    I, too, am in the process of downsizing. I would rather travel than clean. A large yard is not something my husband and I enjoy but a lovely patio is. Hopefully we are in the process of achieving those goals.

I have decided after reading the many comments that we all need to be a bit less judgmental of ourselves. I have carted some things around for years that I never used because I felt guilty giving them away or selling them. Now I am getting much better about deciding what we can live without. And, yes, there are things my daughters do not want but thank goodness they feel safe enough with my feelings to tell me that. Why should I burden them with my guilt? Sometimes less is more -- still my home will never be minimal. I keep what makes us happy and helps remind us of wonderful people, places, or good times.

Good luck to all on this journey!
    User thanked merippy
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    Very nicely stated merippy.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Pray tell- what should I do with these??
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    Margo, do you still like them? If I recall they were your parents or given to you by your parents.
  • PRO
    DSC DesignWorks
    10 years ago
    I would keep the items that mean the most to you! As for some of the other items that you want to get rid of I would try to sell them on eBay. And for the rest of the items I would donate them!
  • User
    10 years ago
    No rosecottage- I bought these, I actually like them but after confessing them as HOuzz sins?? After reading all the things everybody hates, and I have most of them lol, I should just donate everything lol
  • rredpenn
    10 years ago
    Margo!

"Don't go changin'
    To try and please (us)
    You never let (us) down before...mmm mmm mmmm mmmmm mmmm..."

:)
  • User
    10 years ago
  • rosecottagehome
    10 years ago
    LOL So it's decided then...you will keep them Margo! I am keeping some of my good quality fake plants and not parting with my " Laugh" iron wall art.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I will keep my giant silverware if Ann keeps her new coffee table;))))))
  • larkspurproject
    10 years ago
    @Margo, I always stop and play with the giant Paul Bunyan sized silverware in stores. I like them and vote to keep if you still smile when you see them
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    You bet Margo - the coffee table and silverware stay put!
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    10 years ago
    My great-aunt who had traveled all over the world for the church used to tell us kiddies that those giant forks & spoons people hung on their walls in the dining areas were actually the type used by cannibals! LOL! I always called those cannibal forks....
  • User
    10 years ago
    How about I hang this next to the giant silverware lol
    Peek-a-Boo IV Pig Framed Art Print · More Info
    User thanked User
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    10 years ago
    While I love family heirlooms and mementoes - I would only keep something that was especially beautiful and/or functional on a daily or holiday basis. Otherwise I would donate!
Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville