Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samara17

Please help me decorate my odd empty space!

samara17
4 years ago

I need so much help designing this space. It’s such an odd shape & it’s an open floor plan.

My goal is to create a space that is colorful & unique that flows well together. I need advice on how to create a dining area that can work well despite the big opening at the front door as well as a cozy family room that incorporates a tv. In the living room I run into the problem of the deck door and baseboard heaters. I’d like to start fresh on furniture, rugs & door curtains. Can anyone help me design a colorful space?

Pictures of examples are much appreciated as I’m a very visual person & I’m totally design stupid.

Comments (23)

• yvonnecmartin
    4 years ago

We need a floor plan with measurements and the locations of all doors, windows, stairs, etc.

• samara17
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m not sure how to make a floor plan

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

The TV belongs on the wall left of the slider, which means your sectional is configured the wrong way. Are you planning on replacing it?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Samara, you have no ideabooks. I suggest you create two, one for the living area, one for the dining. Browse the photos on Houzz--you can refine them by style, size, colors, etc.--and save the rooms you love. Right now we don't have much of clue from your contemporary sofa, modern bar stools, and antique console, three pieces of furniture in three different styles. ;-)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You will need to figure how to draw a floor plan that is the starting point.I am pretty sure google can help.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

To draw a floor plan you need a #2 pencils, graph paper and a tape measure. 1 square = 6".

• samara17
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay I’ll try to get the floor plan drawn.

I have ideabooks that aren’t set to private so I’m not sure why they can’t be seen.

Yes, all of the furniture except for the counter stools I will be replacing. The couch is way too big for the room.

This is a picture of the other side of that couch. If I were to put the tv on the large wall to the side of the door a couch could not sit in front of it due to the walkway to the stairs and hallway.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I hope you find a way to keep your beautiful antique sideboard. It looks like a very versatile piece and will provide some personality alongside your new furniture.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Samara, I don't understand why I can't see your ideabooks either. Are you sure they're not set to private?

In any case, the couch doesn't have to sit in front of the TV; the TV can go on an articulating mount and pull out and swivel to face the couch.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Maybe if you turned the sectional the other way and pulled it toward the front more and put the tv and a bigger console to the left of the window/slider and got one or two more chairs for the other side it would fill the space in a better way.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

• Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

Can't see idea books either.... hmmm? Like grover's idea above.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

A safe bet for seating is a 3-seat sofa and two upholstered armchairs. Chairs can be swivels if they need to turn to TV for watching. Don't corner any furniture; it just eats up floor space and makes it look like you don't have room for your stuff when you actually do. Looks like your lighting needs upgrading from builder's basic to beautiful.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

I would rotate the sectional to make the room more open and welcoming.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• inabunker
    4 years ago

I like Beverly's idea. Love the chairs that are suggested.

• PRO
    Courtney Thomas Design
    4 years ago

It looks like the TV would work better to the left of the sliders. However we think the sectional might not work well with the TV there. Perhaps you can get a sofa with two chairs instead?

Breezy Blue Home · More Info

• PRO
    DANE AUSTIN INTERIOR DESIGN Boston & Cambridge
    4 years ago

Perhaps try a round dining table near the entry? It might work better than a long dining table. Here are a few ideas from some of our designs:

Dupont High Rise · More Info

Savin Hill Residence · More Info

Oyster Harbors Estate · More Info

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

Dane Austins dining rooms look great! Your DR chandelier is already in that location. I'd use that as a place maker unless you want to rewire.

• PRO
    4 years ago

You're so kind. Thank you so much!

• PRO
    4 years ago

Check out some of our other projects here: https://daneaustindesign.com/

• gigi4321
    4 years ago

The way your entry is configured is wasting the perfect space for a dining table. If you change the swing of the entry door, remove the slats on the kitchen side and extend them on the window side, you will have a dining space that doesn't impede traffic flow to the tv area. I like Beverly's arrangement if it works for watching tv.