Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksamnic

Retro Sink: Keep it or Toss it

ksamnic
10 years ago
I have an old bathroom that we are renovating. It is a complete re&re. Room is circa 1955. There are two matching sinks like the one shown.

I keep looking at the sinks. Just cannot decide if they are really cool, or just butt-ugly.

What do you think? Would you toss these sinks, or keep them and choose colors/design elements that work with the sinks?

Note: post&beam style home with lots of natural wood. Counter top will be replaced for sure.
Sink is awesome. Lots of design options. Keep it.
Ugly sink. Nothing to work with. Toss it.
Sink has style, but ugly color. Keep and find a color palette that works with it.
Nice color. Goofy style. Toss it.

Comments (40)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I'd keep the sinks. Yellow is great with all blues, aqua, teal, navy, gray, black, red ,orange, coral Depends the direction and style for subtle or bold retro or subtle retro, or tansitional between. If you don't like them, sell it.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like a bath that you posted in your ideabook. This will work with the sinks.
    Powder Room · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    That sink is plumb ugly (excuse the pun!). Some things just don't stand the test of time and this is one of them. In addition, it is narrow and shallow, making it not the most functional sink to use.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Only if the chrome / silver trim is removed, then keep the yellow sink.
  • Casey Tomlinson
    10 years ago
    It's a beauty keep it.
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    Are the tub and toilet also this yellow? If you are getting a new tub and toilet, then ditch the sink.
  • ksamnic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, there are a matching tub and toilet - but both will go (toilet needs to use less water as per local regs, and tub is just too much of this color for us).
  • ksamnic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Regarding the silver trim ... this is part of a kit that was used to mount it in the arborite/plywood counter. Our thought (if we keep it) is to mount it under a stone/quartz counter with the counter material over 1" or so of the edges of the sink (they are flat enough for this).
  • User
    10 years ago
    My reason for voting to toss it (actually craigslist it) is because I would not like this yellow color in a bath period, I would eat crow if someone could prove me wrong:)
  • Kathy
    10 years ago
    Since you are doing a total redo I would get rid of the sink. Put it on Craig's list or ebay for those that are purists.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    If tub and toilet are going, then the sink should too. But if you were keeping them all, that mustard color can look great with charcoal gray.
  • ksamnic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ... and the color in the photo is pretty accurate! It is yellow with just the slightest hint of green...
  • ksamnic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So I guess I will admit my naivety here ... but is there some design rule that tub/sinks/toilet should match? I had never really considered this. I have a similar sink from a two piece that is (What I consider to be) a nice green. Not avocado like other retro stuff ... more like a lima bean color. I was going to mount it in a black counter on a bamboo and teak cabinet (copy of a vanity in my ideabook).

I do have a matching toilet - but again it is not "low flow" and the inspector won't allow it to stay.
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    Not a designer, but usually they do match. The exception would be if you get a vessel sink, like a glass, copper or pottery sink with designs or inlaid mosaics.
    Graham Simmons, Architect and Builder · More Info
    Vintage Powder Room · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Margo, maybe you just don't like yellow,. I like these bathrooms.
    Chateau Bourbon Hotel · More Info

Warming Up Traditional Luxury · More Info

Savvy Interiors- San Diego · More Info

Kitchen and Bath Before/After · More Info

Old World Powder Room · More Info

Bold patterned bath · More Info

Beach house · More Info

West Bellevue · More Info

ASID Showcase House 2007 · More Info

Westlake Village · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    If not keeping tub and toilet, I would get new sinks too.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    You could have it re glazed if you don't like the yellow ,I need to ask a question :)
    is that a rust stain or a hard water mark ?
    It looks like I found something similar 1940s

http://media-cache-ec4.pinimg.com/550x/55/3a/80/553a800fa8322f601b202a9c199f2939.jpg
  • PRO
    LM Designers
    10 years ago
    So many pretty sinks to choose from. Pitch these please.
  • PRO
    Vancouver General Contractors
    10 years ago
    You should probably get another sink. Color and look otherwise, functionality seems to be one of the major problems with that sink.
  • User
    10 years ago
    @LB Interiors- Yellow is actually my favorite color, I did a yellow once in a previous home of mine and would not repeat that again!
  • PRO
    ReSquare Architecture + Construction
    10 years ago
    If you don't use it, definitely contact a salvage yard to let them have it. There are folks out there looking for this sort of stuff and just tossing it seems a waste!
  • PRO
    Interior Design
    10 years ago
    is that harvest gold?
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would choose new counter tops first. So many new beautiful ones. If you go to a specialty granite shop, some will give you a discount if you choose a piece that was left over from another job. They usually will have undermount sinks you can select to be installed as the same time.

I dont think the harvest gold goes with the current countertop. But, I know budget is always a consideration. Someone suggested a salvage yard. If you want some older furnishings, they may have a different color at reasonable cost.
  • PRO
    Linda
    10 years ago
    If resale is a concern, update the sink. Otherwise, trust your instinct as you will be the person who does (or doesn't) see this sink every day
  • ksamnic
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It is not harvest gold - certainly it is from the same era - but it is lighter in tone. Almost a pastel. This home was quite a high-end home when it was built - so I like to kid myself that this is a deluxe harvest gold, chosen by a discriminating interior designer!
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Keep them. I just came back from my cottage which has a yellow porcelain sink and I decorated around it. Simply white for the paint trim, blue for the walls.. New faucets, an antique piece like this pix and you have a great bath.
    bathroom · More Info

Deck Mounted Laundry Faucet with Three Hole Installation and Double Lever Handle · More Info

Wyndmoor Residence bathroom · More Info
  • houssaon
    10 years ago
    I love the shape of the sink!

My bath has a white sink and toilet with the original 1935 pale yellow bathtub. Sage green tile from 1935 on the walls.

Good luck.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Margo: houssaon, Casey, Dy and LB and I want to know if you want your crow rare or well done? Grilled, roasted, a particular gravy? :>) White wine or a Beaujolais nouveau, which is very popular with game. :>)

Okay guy and gals, are you up to the challenge?
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    First stab,,,black floor, black counter, and wallpaper
    Woodline Black 6" x 35.5" · More Info

Moonpennies, Black & Ivory · More Info

Black Mirror I and II Set - 14" x 14" · More Info

Girl in the Yellow Suit Print by Kiki & Polly · More Info
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Large Ornithological Crow Wall Art | Dark Crow · More Info

And a little something for Margo's bath...
  • earlkann
    10 years ago
    I just spent a lot of money ordering a retro Harvest Gold toilet and sinks so I think they're cool. Try here for ideas, http://retrorenovation.com/ or if you aren't going to use them at least try to salvage them for someone else to enjoy!
  • radianyce
    10 years ago
    1955 was a very good year. The sink was cool then so be creative and turn it into a vessel sink.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    If you really love them, use them... otherwise recycle them :-)
  • User
    10 years ago
    judyg- you just made my morning LOL, it took a few minutes to register with the crow picture and then the light when on ! May I say that the crow will remain uncooked. that however lovely the yellow and black may be to take a look at, it would NOT be my colors to spend preening myself in the morning ;) but keep that crow on ice, never say nevermore...
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Great start for ideas judyg!

Here is my two cents on things needing to match. I have a bathroom with a blue tub, toilet and sink. The sink and the toilet are going, the bathtub is staying with the blue, green and yellow print retro lino. Actually, once a shower curtain is up, no one sees the bathtub unless they are in there.

I would keep the sink, but the countertop should be replaced.

ksamnic, the question is, do YOU like it?
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Morning Margo, sometimes you just have to have some fun. Thanks for playing. I had to stage my cottage for sale. The double kitchen sink is an 1955 yellow porcelain. Amazing what great condition it is in.

I found the most adorable grey, yellow and white men's plaid chairs on the Target site and did the rest of the house in IKEA white and sisal. Looks cute.

handy, I just did the shower curtain camouflage for a couple who did not want the mess of tearing out a perfectly good, clean, but old bathtub. Works great.

Are you familiar with John Robshaw products?
    Cypress Curtain by John Robshaw · More Info
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    ksamnic, just clicked on your profile. Very nice project. Thanks for sharing.
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

I still regret replacing the Nile Green tub, toilet and wall-mounted lav when I re-did my 1930's bathroom. If you like the sink, keep it, otherwise list or donate the set. Someone will be delighted to find this authentic matched bathroom set to restore a period home. Good luck!

• PRO
    J. D. Carter Interior Design
    8 years ago
    Matching creates unity in the room. Fixtures last longer than paint. Choose a neutral and go crazy with the walls or accessories that are simple to change.