Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kieran_thompson

What type of windows are used in this home?

Kieran Thompson
9 years ago
I have the same style of windows in my home and I'd like to replace with newer more efficient windows but the same style. Do those exist? If so what is that type of window called?
Porter Street Bungalow · More Info

Comments (9)

• cathleenryan
    9 years ago
    Are they true divided lite (Heritage Series)?
  • PRO
    Moore Architects, PC
    9 years ago
    We typically use performance divided lite from Kolbe. Thanks!
  • bourhilla
    9 years ago
    I have a couple of questions...what is the sf of this house and the cost? We are looking for a 1200-1300 sf house plan. Thanks
  • PRO
    Moore Architects, PC
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    This home is approximately 3,811 square feet, which reflects all finished space, including the basement. I can't really give a ball park figure because it really depends on where you're located and how much you'll be doing to your home. But, I can give a ball park 'per square foot' renovation cost. This home was probably closer to $300/sf to build. However, you could renovate your home from anywhere between $200-$250/sf, and get a similar level of detail. I would use those numbers as a guide to estimate how much your renovation would cost. I hope this helps!
  • PRO
    Meghan Shadrick Interiors
    8 years ago

If I can a add on to this original question, I am looking at replacing or restoring my original windows. Want something that looks like original if I do new windows. Did you use replacement windows from Koelbe or new construction? ....and in your opinion does it make a difference in aesthetics? The proportion of these windows seems dead on with original windows! Love it!

• PRO
    Moore Architects, PC
    8 years ago

Thank you! These are new windows. You could also do sash replacements and keep the existing window jamb and have the same look. We don't like to use replacement windows in existing jambs because it creates a really large miscellaneous trim area that isn't aesthetically ideal. However, I can understand doing so if you're trying to keep the work to a minimum.

• PRO
    Meghan Shadrick Interiors
    8 years ago

Yes, I guess that is my dilemma. I dislike how much "space" the trim takes up on replacements. I hate to ask you one more question as I know what its like........the previous owner did do sash replacements in a couple windows and two things I"ve noticed: A) they leak more air in the window jambs than the originals (normal or bad install? B) the plastic insert on the jamb looks really cheap (in your experience are sash replacement on par with new construction?) Thanks again so much!!!

• PRO
    Moore Architects, PC
    8 years ago

Sash replacements are the cleanest look if you don't want to replace the entire window. The only problem is that you have to rely on the integrity of the old window and if the new sash isn't installed completely square, you'll have alignment issues. This may have been the problem with your sash replacements. Unfortunately the jamb liners do look plastic-y and there's nothing to do about it. The best option is always to do a completely new window, but of course it costs more and you have to redo all of the trim. Good luck with your home!