Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Biggest disappointment of Home Ownership?

Emily H
9 years ago
There are so many positives around home ownership, but surely there has been a disappointment or two. What was your biggest disappointment you discovered about home ownership?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

Spruce Street · More Info

Comments (28)

• rosiegabby
    9 years ago
    Bad neighbors.
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    Property taxes in California, that constantly go up, despite Prop. 13. They just found a way around the law by adding assessments.
  • julieharrison
    9 years ago
    Biggest disappointment? That previous owners did things cheaply or incorrectly (floor joists cut straight through, anyone?). It is a bummer to spend money to remedy things hidden behind walls...
  • User
    9 years ago
    Yup, bad neighbors. Really bad neighbors.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    Nothing ever gets "done"(completed). But, hey, I'm not complaining!
  • PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    9 years ago
    A big beautiful yard that requires LOTS of maintenance. But it's worth it....especially on these warm summer nights.
  • fabulouslife
    9 years ago
    Ever increasing property taxes
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    9 years ago
    The biggest disappointment is making enough Monet to make the payment but not being able to get a home loan due to economic downfall back in 2009
  • Gina P
    9 years ago
    I’d have to agree, It’s the taxes.
  • doctornancy
    9 years ago
    My HOA.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Emily, I'm just acknowledging that i read your question and we didn't find no disappointments yet. But let me think about it :)
  • tiamay
    9 years ago
    I'm with Curt on this one. So far, so good.
    Fingers crossed.
  • PRO
    H O M E + atelier Michael Ranson
    9 years ago
    I'd say it's when I find something that a previous owner did and it is not done well. Some fixer-uppers give it their best shot and I appreciate that. However, when you come across something that you know they cut corners on or took short cuts that really weren't necessary I have to scratch my head and wonder. For most of us, our homes are our largest and most important investment. I always encourage my clients to go for what they want and do it well. Sometimes that means doing the design and plans now, getting the bids and saving up for the remodel.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Little fixes that require major work due to changes in code, construction methods, or what's behind the walls isn't what should be there or wasn't done correctly in the first place. And my townhome is only 20 years old.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    9 years ago
    Eventually selling it.
  • PRO
    Len NW 7a
    9 years ago
    Based on our experience correcting defects, owners of post WWII homes should be frustrated with the way production building is done in the US. With our constant boom and bust cycles, many homes are built by crews of trainees who are recruited from wherever labor is cheap when houses are selling well. Then there is a downturn and laid off workers will go back to where they came from or learn to do something else. The obvious outcome is a housing stockpile that needs a series of replacements...good for the remodeling business but not so good for the consumer.
  • pickyvicky
    9 years ago
    Previous jack of all trades....
  • PRO
    Decorating Den Interiors Team Tatera
    9 years ago
    Poor quality repairs by prior owner.
  • doctornancy
    9 years ago
    I had a friend refer to remodeled homes as "re-muddled". So often true.
  • User
    9 years ago
    The building inspector missed big $ problems prior to purchase.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    @chook, When a building inspector misses problems it smells like "what good are ya ?"
  • User
    9 years ago
    Yes, we don't have Holmes in this country, unfortunately.
  • pickyvicky
    9 years ago
    Holmes would have a field day with my house....and there's so much we already fixed.
  • bigredkate
    9 years ago
    Property taxes which rise and rise and rise and the surprising amount of maintenance that is required. Have been very lucky with neighbours.
  • Larissa
    9 years ago
    Council rates, not sure you have them in USA. They go up every year!! really sucks. We are family of 2 and have to pay same rates for garbage collection, even though we don't have the bins for collection every week, we have our bin full once a month only!!
  • User
    9 years ago
    Unlike income tax, they bear no relationship to ability to pay, either. We know a man who knows the Constitution extremely well and he says they are unconstitutional. Of course, if they were abolished, we would be thrown on the private sector, like the electricity.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure it's a disappointment, but maintenance is such a bummer! Who wants to spend money fixing a roof, replacing windows, HVAC, plumbing? I want to spend all my time and money on decor (and travel and fun)!