Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goddessemer6

Home Depot has bulbs!

goddessemer6
17 years ago

I just went to HD today and as I was looking around I saw a ton of new bulbs in of daffodiles, tulips, ranculous, freesias,hyacinths and crocus! All packages were $6.97 for (how ever many bulbs). I got one pack each of mixed Hyacinths(8), Mount Hood Daffodiles (15), Darwin Hybrid Tulips (40), and Queen of Night Tulip (18). So for $30 I got 81 bulbs, I can't wait to plant them all!!!

~Rose

Comments (7)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

Great! Isn't it exciting when they come out? Only 81 bulbs to plant?! I'll bet you'll buy more!
    Menard's and Lowe's have theirs out too. I found lots of unusual daffodils at Menard's; very good prices too. Some of these were sold out on websites, so I was happy to find them.

• lilium_guy56
    17 years ago

hmmmmmmm 81 bulbs? I don't need any more stuff. Wife says the garden is too big now. Well I don't have to mow very much grass that way. last time I bought bulbs I got 450. I think I can sneak a few past the wife. Seems the garden gets bigger all by itslef I tell her. I bet she knows for real. I prefer LOWES. And I didn't see any LILIES on your list. NO LILIES???? You should be ashamed.

• goddessemer6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I should be ashamed, your right it's a pitiful selection when I have 400 sq ft of grass to fill up! I better go check out Lowes booty today...LOL...darn enablers!

~Rose

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    17 years ago

Lowe's might not have their lilies out yet. A week or so ago they only had tulips, daffodils, etc. Last year I know it was later in the fall (October?) when the lilies turned up. I bought loads of named varieties and saved a bundle.

• ego45
    17 years ago

FRESH lily physically can't be in a stores right now, because they harvested in late September.
    Add grading + packing + shipping time and you'll be in mid-late October at best.
    Small domestic growers could ship individual orders earlier since their logistics are different than those of the large houses shipping from Holland, but I doubt if they supply big-box stores.
    Whatever you see before end of October is from the last year crop and freshness could be [very] questionable.

• goddessemer6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No lillies at HD or Lowes...no biggie! Next month is my b-day hubby will be sure to be told what to buy...LOL...In the mean time I was sorting through the bulbs and I got 83 bulbs instead of 81, both the tulip bags had an extra bulb! Which is just as well since about 8 of the 40 bulbs in the mix bag of dawin hybrid tulips looked suspiciously unhealthy...I planted a bunch of mystery colored iris too, can't wait til next spring to see what blooms in what colors!!!

~Rose

• mac_girl_81
    17 years ago

i paid $8.95 for 40 Bulbs!! at HD as well:) but i bought more than 200 bulbs though from hyacinth to tulips to daffodils