Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hammockdreamer_gw

Help to take focus off bright house paint!

HammockDreamer
10 years ago

I just had our house painted. What I had envisioned as a creamy butter yellow turned out to be quite bright. The main house color is "Apricot Butter" with white trim and red doors. I have cried for four days, but I'm trying to pull it together now! Since we cannot afford to repaint the whole house, I am hoping that some plantings will help to soften the harsh first impression. I'm in zone 9 - central FL. Thank you so much for your help!

Comments (12)

• JennShady
    10 years ago

As a quick and simple first step, I would put a red Knockout rose on either side of the front window. They are fast growing and super easy to care for. Too bad you painted the garage door. Although a new garage door runs about $300 at Home Depot.

• HammockDreamer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for replying. I am thinking of repainting the garage door white - do you agree?

• HammockDreamer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you think a blue door would be better?

This post was edited by HammockDreamer on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 9:46

• scpalmetto
    10 years ago

I think your home is a lovely color for your location. Central FL almost cries for ice cream colors. I think red might be a little harsh with it however. What would you think of a deeper shade of the apricot for the front and garage doors, just to break up the bright color. A fast growing rose on either side of the window sounds good. My favorite is Mutabilis, it gets large quickly, blooms non stop and has changeable flowers that are pink., yellow, apricot and red on the bush at the same time. The flowers are soft colors, nothing overwhelming. It would coordinate well with your "Apricot Butter". Who thinks up these names????

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I think the color is probably a shock if you were expecting something else, but it really is a nice yellow. I usually like the garage door the same as the house, so it doesn't become a "feature", but it does create a large expanse of a color you don't like, so white might be better for you.

If I could, I'd have a wood color door, but I don't think the red looks too red and probably works better with the brown roof than blue would. I might think about painting it white and bring in color through some pots and plants. If the roof were more grey, I think blue or charcoal would be good.

{{gwi:17899}}

[Traditional Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2107) by Vancouver Architects & Designers Kallweit Graham Architecture

But this is a nice blue with a brown roof and the lively yellow paint, and notice how all the yellow, in different tones, really seems to moderate the brightness of the house.

{{gwi:17900}}

[Traditional Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2107) by Sausalito Architects & Designers Kathy Shaffer Architecture & Design AIA

or maybe an unexpected color?

Benjamin Moore Mountain Ridge 1456

"Go with something strong and bold that makes a statement. I like this gorgeous raisin with undertones of purple and gray and brown. It's an unusual color for a front door. A little mysterious. It would wet the palate for the entry foyer. Why not do that in something exciting and complementary, like Chic Lime?" -CARL D'AQUINO {{gwi:17901}}
    or
    C2 Paint Wicked 6446

"When you first see this deep, rich purple, it looks quite dark, but it never loses the color. There's a good dose of red plum underneath. It would look kind of dapper on a door, very Savile Row. Dark and distinguished, yet unexpected. And it would work equally well on a traditional or a modern house." -KEN FULK
    {{gwi:17902}}

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

It's definitely got a lot of potential and is really not that bad. It reminds me of my attempts to paint a yellow room once. Took many tries. Yellow was surprisingly difficult to get just right.

I would definitely paint the garage door white. I would look around for some large decorative object for the triangle above the garage door. It would break up the space and also add some personality. I would add simple shutters to the large window (although maybe shutters are not a FL thing???). I would get two large decorative planters for on either side of the front door entry area with some nice large tropicals. Looks like there is not in ground planting location there so containers will have to do. Is there an inground place to plant shrubs in front of and next to the large window? If not, one or two large containers with a climbing vine with a trellis on the wall would be a great way to add foliage and further break up the space. Clematis are my favorite vine, especially for containers, but they are probably not appropriate for FL. I'm sure FL has oodles of good vine candidates. Look for the least aggressive possible so it lasts a long time in a container before outgrowing the pot.

• HammockDreamer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the truly wonderful ideas. The change in color I think has been such a shock for me--it was originally a very dull beige. It is bright, but I can't really change that---have to let the strong FL sun dull it a bit! Some houses do have shutters but they don't have the posts on the sides of the windows. I agree that I need some interesting decorative items. I want to get rid of the rock completely, but may need to start with container plants first. My husband had back surgery yrs ago and is very limited to what he can do. I do love the blue door from one of the pics posted. I originally had that color in mind but the person at the paint store said that it would only work if I was having a very "country" home--which it isn't. We're fairly new to FL, so I went with her advice...My neighbor stopped and told me she loved the new color--although it is a bit bright.....I've got to try to make the best of it and I feel re-energized with all your help!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

A nearby neighbor painted their house a very bright and strong color. After a bit of time, it begins to seem less alarming. Your color is not nearly as strong. I think it will seem much more tame when you get some accessories and landscaping. Then you may be seen as a leader for being bold, courageous and cutting edge! :-)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I love the color! It is so warm and welcoming to me. I love your trim and door too!

• louisianagal
    10 years ago

I am terrible at picking paint, also carpet color, exterior and interior paint, and even the brick on my first house. I got used to it or eventually changed it. I like your yellow color. I think the house would look better with white garage door. That large garage door is most of the "in your face" yellow. I do not think you need shutters, I like the way your window is framed. I like the red door too, although I love that yellow and blue combo in another pic. You can always change that later so I wouldn't do too much at once. I think a mutabilis rose will be too big. I understand from the rose forums that they grow "as big as a Buick." I have a mutabilis and it is pretty "leggy" and not full and lush. Take your time, I'm sure the paint color will grow on you, and also fade, and as you decide on other features, it will all work out. Lovely home, really.
    Laurie

• enduring
    10 years ago

I love the color. My initial thought would be to use other similar warm colors to share the load, soft and even bolder. Then use pops of contrast in the landscaping or small details.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I like it!

More plants, especially flowering ones in shades of apricot and peach.