Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shutterbugsyl

perennial vegetable suggestions?

shutterbugsyl
15 years ago

I am in zone 6 and would like to dedicate 2 raised beds (each approximately 4 feet wide, 8 feet long, 10 inches deep) to create a perennial garden. I have already planted a raspberry bush and a few daisy plants. I would like to add some vegetables. Beyond rubharb and asparagus, any other recomendations? Anything that might establish a little sooner than these two options? The area gets good sun in early spring, and gets less and less as summer progresses due to the trees filing out and creating more shade.

Comments (10)

• jimster
    15 years ago

Look into cardoons. They resemble artichokes, to which they are closely related, but you eat the stalks, not the flowers. They are hardier than artichokes so will be perennial in your area. I think you will find they have ornamental value too.

Jim

• susaneden
    15 years ago

Jerusalem artichokes

• booberry85
    15 years ago

How about some chives & walking (Egyptian) onions?

• granite_grrl
    15 years ago

I was looking through a Stokes calalouge today and noticed they were selling a perennial spinich. It was called the New Zealand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stokes Seeds

• Belgianpup
    15 years ago

New Zealand spinach has no taste. Lawn clippings probably taste better.

Sue

• mickeyjane
    15 years ago

I have strawberries interplanted with my asparagus - they seem to like each other. Then I throw a handful of cosmo seeds on there too to liven the bed up a little.

• hamiltongardener
    15 years ago

Strawberries have been a big hit here.

My chives and oregano do very wel but you don't need such a large space for them.

Two raised beds like that, I would do strawberries in one and asparagus in the other.

But that's just my preference.

• buffett
    15 years ago

Sorrel and lovage are enthusiastic repeaters in my z6a garden. Sorrel is good mixed in with salad greens and in soups and sauces--it's wonderfully lemony. Lovage looks like thin celery and tastes strongly of cucumbers and celery They both need about 2 sq. feet per plant.

Lavender, oregano, thyme, and chives are also reliable perennials. Lavender makes a very nice border in my garden in various dwarf varieties. Asparagus should probably have its own bed for the couple of years it needs to establish before being picked, since it does best on its own feeding and weeding schedule, but is tremendously rewarding--our two 26'x4' beds (one 15 years old, one 5) are pumping out about 1-3 pounds a day right now.

Blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are all excellent in their own beds--we planted one bed of junebearing strawberries and another of everbearing and alpine strawberries, which gives a satisfying glut of berries in early summer and then a constant small supply through august. Raspberries and blueberries should be netted unless you plant enough to share with the birds (our birds are veeeery hungry). Blueberries will give you a decent crop the second year if you plant several plants with different harvest times (early, midseason, late); strawberries will do pretty well the first year and much better the next two or three given enough space and care. They are rather high maintenance if you want to continue to have good crops, though.

Good luck! Nothing better than something tasty that comes back year after year.
    '

• chaman
    15 years ago

Chinese Wolfberry (Goji berry) will be a good addition for it's leaves and fruits.Leaves are used for soup preparations.It is a shrub good for land scaping.

• suzi7
    15 years ago

Malabar spinach reseeds every year.