Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reddawn_gw

Am I too late/ Endless argument with husband

reddawn
16 years ago

Hi all!! My question is about when to plant. YESTERDAY I finished planting my veggie garden. I started planting it about 4 days ago. I put in a few pepper plants that i grew from seed which were only about an inch high. Then yesterday was everything else...from carrots, nursery bought lettuce, more pepper and tomato SEEDS, potatos, zucchini, cukes, onions and and the bush sugar snaps n foot long pole beans were planted about 4 days ago (all seeds) . I realize I should have planted an early garden with lettuce n carrots n such but i DIDNT OK!!! And I realize that I should have/could have planted the garden a couple weeks ago, but Ive been busy and I feel that there is still enough time. That being said...am I too late? My husband, who doesnt garden, thinks it is. I think he's stupid. Please advise.

Comments (15)

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

Gardening is supposed to be fun and relaxing. So don't stress over it.

Here is southern New Hampshire official planting day was last weekend, and we are a few hours south of you. My wife is still planting.

The peppers and tomatoes seeds, I would have to agree it is probably too late for this season. Ontario is too far north. Lettuce potatoes, onions and beans should do fine from seed. Cukes, maybe. Zucchini probably fine also. I grow zucchini from seed. Your peppers are seedlings a bit small but they will grow.

If it were me I would go to the nursery and by some six packs of tomatoes and maybe one of peppers just to keep the peace, and plant them it is definitely not too late for that. Spend the ten dollars and don't worry about it.

• cziga
    16 years ago

Most of it I wouldn't worry about it. I have already planted (this year), but I have certainly planted into June before with no problems. Even carrots, for that matter.

You're not growing tomatoes and peppers from seed, it doesn't sound like (it would definitely be too late for that). Mine are small as well, but I'm giving them a shot (its my first year not buying hybrids from the nursery). If they're already growing, just try to give them a good location and get them in the ground. This hot weather we're having seems to really agree with them and its certainly worth a try. Then you'll know for next year!

• buffburd
    16 years ago

Last year I had volunteer tomato plants that grew from seeds in my compost produce the biggest tomato I got that year. I think I did end up harvesting it green and letting it ripen inside, but it still came out great.

Its never too late for everything, if nothing else plant a green manure crop of buckwheat, or if its really late (autumn) plant winter rye. These crops will build up organic matter in your soil and on your soil, increasing fertility and harvest in years to come.

You could plant the green manure and let it grow for the summer, then plant fall crops like beets, lettuce, radishes, etc later in the enhanced soil.

-Kyle

• reddawn
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. Just to clarify..i have a few pepper n tomato plants but i also planted a bunch of seeds. Is it truly too late for those? What about something like Miracle Gro or something...Ive never used anything like that, but might that increase the chances of a yield come the Fall???

• cziga
    16 years ago

The problem is that we, in Ontario and up north, don't get enough days of hot enough temperatures throughout the summer to allow the fruit to ripen on the plant. If you start early enough you have a chance, and even then we have trouble with some of the really long season tomatoes and peppers etc. I've been advised against Brandywine for that reason. Seeds planted now just won't have the time to ripen into fruit.

I doubt Miracle Gro would help as the plants will grow . . . its just the days to maturity, the fruit sitting and ripening on the vines, that you won't have the time for if you start seeds now.

Of course this is my first year growing tomatoes and peppers from seed as well. I figure you always give it a try . . . you never know what will work for you in your yard. My tomato plants are small but growing in this heat, and I think I'll get tomatoes this year. Definitely try your plants. If you want to try the seeds you can, but you really need to start them indoors in March or so in our climate to give them a real shot. Course you never know what the weather will be like :)

• ardnek710
    16 years ago

Yes, you are probably too late for direct sown tomatoes/peppers this year. However, they will germinate and they will grow just fine. Like cziga mentions above, it is the lack of long summer days that will keep the peppers from ripening.

Now, the good news, many peppers can be eaten unripe and are just as hot and flavorful (depends on variety) and you can bring the plants in or the peppers when it gets too chilly and they will continue to grow and ripen in side in the warmth.

Now, tell hubby that if he wants an opinion you have some garden work he can do in exchange....:)
    Don't stress, grow what you can, enjoy what you have, and look forward to next year..:)

kendra

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I agree with the others. For the tomato and pepper seeds, you're probably too late. For everything else just fine. You might miss some of the bugs. They'll hatch and have nothing to feed on.

As for me I still have to plant bean seeds , zucchini seeds and butternuts seedlings! This week they'll go in. I'm late this year. I usually try and get everything in by Memorial Day weekend.

• raisemybeds
    16 years ago

You are too late to grow tomatoes from seed. No two ways about it. Miracle Gro is not a substitute for lost time. You are also too late for onions and sugar snaps, although if you wait until July you can plant peas again for a Fall crop possibly.

• cziga
    16 years ago

You can eat peppers a little unripe, most varieties will be ok that way. Also slightly under-ripe tomatoes/peppers can be picked and brought inside to continue ripening on a sunny window if you run out of time at the end of the season.

Only way to figure out what will work for you in your area is to try it and see, just don't expect great results when you're pushing the envelope :)

I like the suggestion above: when he chips in with the hard work, then he is entitled to an opinion . . . lol, also I'm sure if you get tomatoes and peppers from the plants this year, he'll be more than happy to eat them.

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I just got my broccoli and cauliflower transplants in the ground yesterday, so I hope it's not too late. I still have tomato plants and some squash and melon transplants yet to plant.

The way I figure, if it's either the garden patch or the compost bin, I'm better off trying the garden patch.

• orangedragonfly
    16 years ago

I say not to late for transplants. is there any way to replace the seeds with transplants? of course your seeds will grow but you probably wont get anything from them. Gardening is and should be fun. It should be a stress buster. sometimes I get caught up in the "this is the way it should be" and I have to talk myself back down to earth. I think unless you are planting to sell at a farmers market then down worry about it.
    I did the same thing, I am in Mass. I planted my peas late, I put them in the ground May 1, when they really should have gone in the begining of April. I am still growing them LOL we'll see what they produce, I am going to start another crop for the fall though. I also put my brussels in to early/late those are also a cool season crop, they are staying in, and are growing really good.

• josie23
    16 years ago

I am also zone 5 (wisconsin). The 1" peppers should produce (very late in the season) as long as you protect them well now. Make sure they don't dry out, and treat them like the fragile plant they are. They are very succeptible now. I started my seeds too late last year and transplanted some that small, I lost most of them.

Carrots, Beans, Zucc, Cukes & Onions should be fine. The lettuce is a little late, it may bolt and get bitter FAST in the heat. The potatoes should have been planted mid-April, but you should still get some production.

Tomatoes & peppers from SEED???? Sorry but DH is very right on this one. I started my tomatoes inside in March, transplanted them (about 6" tall)in Mid May, and hope to have tomatoes from them in July/Aug. about 5-6 mo from initial planting. You may get a tomato at the end of the season if you are lucky, but if you want tomatoes for sure go to a garden center and buy a couple of plants. If you get them in by this weekend you will still be ok.

Before next year do a little research for your specific area and find a good planting guide. That will tell you when to start seeds inside/outside and when to get plants in the ground for best production. That way armed with good info DH won't be able to make fun of you.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

reddawn,

Don't fight with your husband. If you're going to do the work, then he should simply be supportive of your endeavors.

But if you want "offical" information, call the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture Rood and Rural Affairs: Agricultural Information Contact Centre

1-877-424-1300

They are there to help you and they have lots of information on their web site as well:

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Ontario Vegetable Planting Calendar

• nygardener
    16 years ago

If you're going to pick up a few tomato plants at the store (good idea), try making one of them a cherry tomato. They ripen faster and are less fussy than the full-sized types. Your lettuce and carrots should be fine, in fact you can seed them again every couple of weeks until mid July in your zone for a steady harvest. Try adding a few more greens like chard and kale; you can start harvesting the thinnings in a month and will have mature plants by August. Try beets and turnips too, which can also be harvested immature for the tender baby roots and greens.

You build on your garden every year and it's not a contest! Last year I got all my planting done early but the weather made it a terrible season for tomatoes and a great one for salad greens, which are among this year's favorites. This year a field mouse is helping himself to the salad bar, deer and rabbits congregate outside the fence, and I'm thinking of selling tickets and opening a petting zoo ... but I'm still harvesting plenty of food for guests and me. Thank goodness no one's sitting on the sidelines with a pitcher of iced tea telling me what I'm doing wrong!

• clockwork
    16 years ago

Try hitting him.

Clock