Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bucktales

Garden Pics - Can't figure out what is wrong with this one tomato

bucktales
14 years ago

This is my second year with a garden and things are growing well. This is my 2nd attempt at uploading pics so hopefully this works.

Cucumbers, beans and peas - all planted by my 3 year old daughter. Something is munching on the beans... haven't figure out what yet.

{{gwi:64467}}

{{gwi:64469}}

{{gwi:64471}}

Summer squash:

{{gwi:64473}}

Onions are looking good. Had to pull a dozen or so of them because they went to flower.

{{gwi:64475}}

{{gwi:64477}}

{{gwi:64479}}

Taters. I never expected them to be this huge.

{{gwi:64480}}

Here is the 1 Rutgers tomato plant. Lush foliage, good deep green color, looks very healthy.

{{gwi:64481}}

Here is the other one. It is spindly and the leaves are curled up and malformed. I have searched and searched but I can't figure out what disease this might be? I'd seriously appreciate any info.

{{gwi:64482}}

{{gwi:64483}}

Comments (13)

• albertar
    14 years ago

Your garden is georgeous. Unfurl a few of those tomato leaves and see if there are aphids there. They could be green or red, or even possibly black. Thats what I suspect from seeing your pictures. If I'm wrong,someone else will chime in with a better answer.

Alberta

• earthworm73
    14 years ago

Yup your garden looks very good. Your hard work is pating off. A few questions. Did you plant those onions from bulbs, seeds or starts? What are you using for fertilizer on your garden? And where in MD are you from? I am originally from MD too.

Larrick

• bucktales
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, thanks. I will check for aphids. I planted the onions from sets.

In the spring I tilled in leaf compost from the dump, leaf/grass compost from my dad's 15 year old compost pile, and some cow manure from a local farmer. For fertilizer I've added Plant Tone and Tomato Tone which are organic fertilizers. I used maybe a tablespoon of each when I planted each pepper and tomato plant. For the onions, I added organic Urea (very high N content) fertilizer after they were in the ground for a month or so. I didn't add any fertilizer to the potatoes, asparagus, snap peas, pole beans, squash or cucumbers.

• bucktales
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I just checked and there are aphids. I think I've read that you can spray them with soapy water - does that really work?

• gardenlen
    14 years ago

that tomato looks like it could have the wilt? would be thinking it it where say aphids that they would be visible on the stems near the leaves?

if it is wilt then pull it and dump it in the trash can.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• bucktales
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry len, but I don't know what "the wilt" is? I found aphids all over the thing. Do I really have to toss the whole thing? Can I try some fungicide?

Thanks!

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

A fungicide won't help with aphids or wilt (it's bacterial). I wouldn't worry about wilt at all as there isn't a dang thing you can do about it once a plant is infected (and I am not saying yours is).

For aphids you can try just washing them off the plant with the hose. You need to be thorough and will likely need to repeat a few times.

If that doesn't prove to be enough then spraying the plants with insecticidal soap (please just use the purchased formulations, not a home remedy you find on the web). My saying to spray the plants is actually incorrect as it's the aphids that must be sprayed as the soap will only kill those it contacts while still wet. Avoid this during the heat of the day.

Repeat applications will likely be required.

If this isn't enough spray plants with neem oil (follow label instructions for dilution rate). Avoid doing this during the heat of the day. This will kill aphids sprayed with it, but will also lead to the death of any that survive and still insist on feeding on the plant. Apply once per week while aphids are present.

• ditnc
    14 years ago

You could buy some ladybugs, which can probably be found at your local nursery for about $10. They will devour the aphids.

• shiggle20
    14 years ago

I use neem oil for aphids. Works well.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

In my experience, soapy water does not really work. I got the gardensafe spray, which I think you can find at Target or Walmart, and it did kill the bugs.

• raisemybeds
    14 years ago

I had leaves that looked like that on some of my tomato plants one year and was able to trace it to an herbicide used by my neighbor to control weeds growing in the cracks of his driveway. Apparently it can "drift" and the "path" it had taken as it passed over my tomato beds was clear to see. Most of the damage was limited to the tops of the plants, and they outgrew it as the season progressed, but some of the leaves always looked funny. I believe it is called 2-4-D damage. You can look it up to see if you agree, but that is exactly what my leaves looked like that time.

• bucktales
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I took care of the aphids with neem oil. One of the plants was pretty ravaged by them and had wilt so I had to yank it. Another couple look like they were damaged a bit, but I'm hoping they pull through. I guess its another lesson learned regarding things to look out for.

Thanks for the info.

• jean001
    14 years ago

Well, even though the spindly tomato with "the leaves are curled up and malformed" may have aphids, it's has also received a dose of weed killer.

That's easily diagnosed by the fan-shaped leaves in the final image. Plant is likely to grow out of the damage.