Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aulani_gw

Quick Comment on Tomatoes

aulani
15 years ago

I just received in the mail the book, "How to Grow World Record Tomatoes" by Charles H. Wilber. I haven't read it yet, but I looked at the pictures on the cover. He is standing on a stepladder with what looks to be 15 foot tomato plants and a hundred tons of tomatoes. But you know what? The leaves on the bottoms of the plants, at least the first six feet, are all brown and shriveled. Yet they are still supporting lots of tomatoes. The tops are healthy. Now I wonder why I took my Big Boy out this morning. The bottom leaves were turning brown and shrivelled and I figured it was diseased. Put it all in a trash bag for the trash man. Maybe I was wrong. What do ya think?

Comments (10)

• bakersville
    15 years ago

the picture on the cover are of Charles H. Wilber 20 + ft plants and close to 5/8 of ton fruit off the 4 plants.

• anney
    15 years ago

I don't remove tomato plants until the entire plant has turned brown! That's partly because it's difficult for me to tell if the lower branches are browning because of age or maybe disease that hasn't affected the entire plant yet.

Also, tomato plants need nutrition while they're producing just as much as they do when they're growing toward maturity. I'm sure I've had tomato plants give up the ghost because they'd used up the nutrients they needed and I hadn't replenished it -- they're heavy feeders.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a mature tomato plant that doesn't eventually have brown or shriveled leaves on the bottom!

• aulani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it looks like I shouldn't have put down my Big Boy then. I kept thinking it was diseased and would spread to other plants in the area. Oh well, live and learn. I think I'll go out and feed everybody else now. I did not pull up the Big Boy because it started to lightning and thunder and I wanted to get indoors. There's about a foot of plant left. I think I'll leave it in the ground just to see what happens.

Thank you for your comments.

• eplina
    15 years ago

sometime you need to just removed the affected plant but the leaves do turn brown like aulani said

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato growing problems

• anney
    15 years ago

aulani

If it's a diseased plant but you aren't sure, removing the affected leaves will help slow the progress down.

• aulani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I appreciate your input, everyone. I just wondered about those brown leaves because the leaves pictured on the plants in the book I got were all brown except for the very top ones. That's what got me to thinking about it. Thanks for the link, eplina.

Aulani

• wvtomatoman
    15 years ago

Part of the natural aging process of a tomato plant is for the bottom leaves to turn yellow, then brown. They no longer help the plant and can be removed.

I don't recommend going the step ladder route. I triple stacked my cages once and I won't do it again. I almost fell off the ladder a few times (garden dirt gets soft after it rains). So, I just use 5.5 foot cages and let 'em flop. Besides you have to drag out the ladder to pick tomatoes. IMHO it's just not worth it.

Good luck.

Randy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:90247}}

• aulani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, Randy, heck of a picture!!! But look how green and healthy your bottom leaves are.

My cages are the heavy duty ones I found at Wal Mart this year (got rid of all the wimpy ones, or use them on peonies.) Some of my tomatoes are in 5 ft. cages I built using concrete wire. I like those and need to make more. I use one of those big cages for my yard long beans.

• wvtomatoman
    15 years ago

Thanks. I'm glad I had the picture taken. It is a nice conversation piece. But, like I say I won't be doing it again.

In the picture it looks like I may have removed some of the bottom leaves on one of the plants. If I hadn't then, I did later. A lot of my plants get foliage diseases and I removed diseased leaves and branches. However, even if they don't get diseased the lower leaves/leaflets turn yellow, brown and die as the plant ages and I remove them.

Good luck.

Randy

• aulani
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Randy. That information about the yellow to brown leaves gives me hope. I honestly thought that entire plant was doomed and would spread the disease. That's okay. I learned something from you and the others. Appreciate it. My tomatoes look extra happy and refreshed today for some reason. We had a lot of rain last night from remnants of Hurricane Dolly.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner