Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

No tomatoes!?!?

nancyjane_gardener
11 years ago

I planted about mid April, things have been growing very slow even with nice weather.

We didn't have the "June gloom(fog)" this year.

The plants have picked up, but there are very few flowers and only a couple of tomatoes starting to show (except the sungold which will be putting out starting in the next week or so)

We had a whacky week of 90-100* temps about mid June. I've heard that maters won't set fruit at 90+*s. Is that what might have happened? Did the heat do in the flowers I had going? I do still have til October to bring in my veges, but it seems really late for me in sunny Ca!

BTW I'm soooo sorry for you Easterners who are suffering with all of that HEAT!!!!!

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I've heard that maters won't set fruit at 90+*s. Is that what might have happened?

Probably. There is a good FAQ all about Blossom Drop and its causes over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here. It is linked on this forum front page.

Dave

• homegro
    11 years ago

Thanks, nancyjane! Yes, we (mid-Atlantic) have HEAT, and worst, very dry, the driest Spring/Summer I can ever remember. But I have lots of tomatoes in my tomato plants. I have to water like mad everyday though. Where you are when it get to 90-100 degree, do you have nice breeze? I heard that air flows are important for tomatoes fruiting, but I am not an expert on this.

• Nunyabiz1
    11 years ago

Seems like you should be in really good shape there is Ca.
    I lived there from 1969 til 1996 and basically 300 days out of the year was 72 degrees.

In NC it has been miserably hot, between 99-108 everyday the past 2+ weeks and looks like the same for the next 2 weeks plus inhumane humidity.
    I planted in April also, have harvested about 40 tomatoes mostly from one plant so far, squirrels have harvested about 12 for themselves, most just as they were blushing.

My second Bush Tomato that I planted several weeks later is producing now and between the two plants I have at least 100+ tomatoes on the vine in various stages from almost ripe to the size of a pea.
    Amazingly it appears as though the 3 Dwarf tomato plants I just planted June 6th are flowering like crazy and look as though they are going to set fruit soon even through all this insane weather, mostly staying in the high 70's even at night, 105+ degree days, high humidity, 50+mph winds.

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    11 years ago

" Seems like you should be in really good shape there is Ca.ÃÂ I lived there from 1969 til 1996 and basically 300 days out of the year was 72 degrees."

Though I agree we are in good shape this year, that is not the part of California I live in!

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We do cool off in the evening and have a breeze every evening. I dosed them with some 4-5-3 organic vege and tomato food. It said to apply 1x per month until fruit sets.
    As I said, I have a nice long growing period (well into October) so it's possible I'll still get a bunch. I guess all I can do is wait and see!
    Thanks Dave, I'll read up on blossom drop. Nancy

• allhaileris
    11 years ago

I have decent sized plants and quite a few tomatoes, but not on all plants. The carbon tomato plant is flowering just now, barely (but I think it's one of those more complex genes are needed so it takes longer plants). The romas are doing the best, I have a bunch of groupings of 5-8 tomatoes, I think I saw them starting about 3 weeks ago(?). The beefstake has some that look like they have the slightest blush. I planted mid-May.

I'm so glad we haven't been inundated with fog, it's been nice, not too hot, not too foggy. I think it was two years ago the perpetual fog made for zero tomatoes. My grapes are doing SOOO well, I'm trying to avoid spraying them with sulpher so the lack of fog helps.

That's funny, 300 days at 72. Maybe if you averaged them all out. That's more SoCal. NorCal is a totally different creature (that I love).

• t-bird
    11 years ago

I have a bunch of grape tomatoes on one vine that are starting to blush....3 grape with maybe 30-50 fruits, no blushing, and 2 other grape just starting with fruit.

Have some volunteer cherries (?) don't grow or buy cherry tomatoes, so who knows? have some fruit - kind of straggly- no blushing. I'm keeping them to see how they taste, may rip them them out.

Med and large tomatoes - think it's a stupice and 2 black krims......stupice has may 1-2 dozen, black krims just a handful of fruit per bush....

lost all my other tomato plants in the may hail storm..

hopefully things will burst into shape when we go back to 80's next week rather than 100's....

• loribee2
    11 years ago

Nancy, I just posted a tomato update on my blog from down here in Rohnert Park. I have way more tomatoes on my plants this year than I did this time last year, but the plants themselves are only half the size. I thought it might be because I started them a couple weeks later than I did last year. You know what a difference two weeks can make to tomatoes.

I've got tomatoes on all my plants except for the prudens purple, which are my worst performing plants this year. But I've never grown that variety before so I don't know if it's the environment or the variety just doesn't like me.

I've got pics posted if you want to compare, and I note the variety on the pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Loribee's Garden Blog

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Loribee - I have 3 Pruden's purple going this year. One has no tomatoes so far, one has 3, the other has at least a dozen with a couple getting close to size. It doesnt make any sense to me, they are all with in 10 ft of each other, looking big and healthy (5ft high), and getting exactly the same treatment.

• nancyjane_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Loribee I have a school garden in RP which is doing fine. I've picked about 3 from an early variety (I only planted the one due to school being out as of next week!)
    I'm only about 5 miles from there and have the same conditions (except I have a bit more wind which has never bothered my garden before)
    I'm still thinking that that stinking hot streak a couple of weeks ago may have caused the blossom drop. Nancy

• loribee2
    11 years ago

I know Santa Rosa gets way hotter temps than I do down here. Maybe you were hit with that hot streak harder than I was.

Mandolls, that's weird about those Prudens. I've never grown them. In the catalog, they looked like the ideal tomato for me (don't they always?). Mine are spindly but still flowering, so I haven't given up yet. I hope to get at least a couple tomatoes out of them before our season ends in October.

• mandolls
    11 years ago

Loribee - I gave you false info - I mixed up my Purple Russians with my Prudens Purple - its the Russians that have set fruit. Still none on the Prudens.

We just had some cooler weather blow in yesterday, some rain and highs in the mid 80's for the next week or so. I am hoping for a lot of fruit to set as the plants are all full of flowers.