Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
right_coaster

My garden action plan - need comments/suggestions

right_coaster
15 years ago

This will be my 2nd year gardening, I've had a lot of fun with it last year but struggled a little with plant health and insects. I didn't have my compost amended soil deep enough for the root level, it was almost like a top dressing. I also didn't mulch the garden and watered the plants by simply drenching them every morning - I know I know!

Here is my 2009 garden action plan. I think it will turn out much better this year. Suggestions greatly appreciated. My garden is 9ft x 15ft.

---------

1. Spread 25 pounds of worm castings and a layer of compost then work it into the soil.

2. Dig 24"x24" holes for my plants (4 tomato and 4 pepper) and amend the removed soil (95% sand) with compost, worm castings, a little alfalfa meal, and mostly composted oak leaves. Replace the soil in the holes.

3. Plant the tomatoes and peppers then water in with compost tea (not getting the leaves wet!). Then top dress the soil around the tomato plants with a little espoma tomato tone.

4. Setup my drip irrigation off well water (frequency will be 2-3 waterings per week). Compost tea will also be used weekly or bi-weekly.

5. First layer of mulch will be oak leaves then top that off with 3-4 inches of straw.

6. Build tomato cages and set them up within a day or so of planting the tomatoes.

--------

Do y'all think I'm going about this right? I was happy with the results last year, but I know it could be so much better. I've been trying to take note of what everyone is doing and this has been quite a learning process!

Comments (8)

• jean001
    15 years ago

Don't amend planting holes, no matter how "good" you think it will make the hole.

• right_coaster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't understand why I wouldn't do that, can you (or someone) elaborate?

• hatchjon
    15 years ago

jean001: Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either. When I plant a double row of peppers for instance, I make a 3 foot wide, flat hill. This hill is amended with compost, bone meal, etc. I then plant the peppers in a double row 18" apart. I feel like the plants would not have enough food without the amendments.

Jon

• organicguy
    15 years ago

I disagree! I think using planting holes on new or poor soil, until the soil can be build up makes perfect sense if you want good results this year.

I would add a few things . . .
    1: a little bone meal to each hole
    2: an application of rock phosphate and greensand over the entire bed. This will supplement the phosphate and trace minerals for a few years until you build up the humus content in your sandy soil.

Maintaining a heavy mulch on sandy soil with greatly cut down your need for supplemental watering.

Good luck!
    Ron
    The Garden Guy
    www.TheGardenGuy.org
    "New Article - Plant 1-Month Earlier"

• gatormomx2
    15 years ago

Without a reliable soil test , you don't really know what needs to be amended .
    The reasoning behind no soil improvements to a hole is more in line with trees and shrubs rather that veggies .
    If a tree is to grow on your property , it needs to get used to the existing soil since the roots can spread one hundred feet in each direction .
    The little bit of added " stuff " does nothing in the long run for permanent plants .
    It does work quite well with plants that are annuals and have somewhat small root systems that stay in the confined areas of improvement .
    Does that make any sense ?

• organicguy
    15 years ago

That is right on the money, gatormomx2!

He said this is a new garden on almost all sand, which makes it obvious it is likely difficient in almost everything, including organic matter. By taking a "shotgun" apporach for this year, we will have a good chance of getting a decent crop. Then I would suggest getting a soil test in the Fall and fine tuning the ammendments. His plan has good merit!

Ron
    The Garden Guy
    www.TheGardenGuy.org
    "New Article - Plant 1-Month Earlier"

• right_coaster
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok thanks for the comments... yeah my soil would be compared to planting a garden on the beach. There is no organic matter whatsoever. I'll give this a shot and go with a soil test later in the year. thanks again!

• posy_pet
    15 years ago

When I plant tomatoes,I dig a hole and shovel in a big shovelfull of compost mixed with gypsum,bone meal and epsom salt.Probably a couple cups of each mixed in a cartfull of compost.This was a Jerry Baker recipe to end that black scabby stuff on tomatoes.I also use it for dahlias and anything else special that I am planting.It works good.I also mulch them with a layer of newspaper with shredded leaves on top.Posy Pet