Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becr_gw

Your favorite yellow mini-rose

BecR
15 years ago

Hi all~

Do you have a favorite yellow or yellow-pink blend mini rose?

Please tell me your favorites!!!

What attributes does your favorite yellow mini have?

Thank you very much,

Becky

Comments (22)

• katefisher
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That would be the rose 'Buttermint'. Vigorous bloomer, no disease whatsoever up here.

My only complaint is of the two I have in the front yard one had appreciable die back this winter. The other came through with flying colors. That would not affect you of course though since you don't have snow resting on your roses for months at a time during winter.

Kate

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Bee's Knees (yellow blend, pink edges). Nicely shaped plant, good rebloom cycle. Also its sport, Erin Alonzo, clear yellow.

• catsrose
    15 years ago

I picked up my all time favorite at the grocery store. I think it was "Blaze Sunrise," one of the series of minis that they put in grocery stores and such. She was always the first rose to bloom and bloomed all summer with perfect tiny hybrid tea (scrolled) flowers. I adored her and every morning I told her how beautiful she was. I had her for 12 years. I left her behind when I moved, one of few real regrets I have. I still miss her. Replacing her wouldn't be the same...

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

Becky, I am crazy about my 'Pacific Serenade' from Nor'East. It has performed spectacularly. Excellent foliage and lots of blooms that are at least 2 1/2 inches wide. The only problem is that it is extremely hard to get. I was lucky enough to get 3 of them, but it took me 6 months to get them.

The yellow starts out deep & bold. Then softens in the sun to mouth-watering, clear, pure, lemon yellow. One of the most cheerful looking roses in my garden.
    It actually has a nice, light fragrance, the only mini I've ever been able to smell.
    The foliage is very healthy, so far. Flawless, in fact.
    And as if that wasn't enough ... it's 100%, completely, no-kidding, thornless!

Randy

Here's a picture of it the day it arrived from Nor'East Miniature Roses:
    {{gwi:207237}}

• jont1
    15 years ago

I like Ty, Erin Alonso, and Bee's Knees the best for a more clear yellow colored flower.
    A super duper yellow blend is Autumn Splendor. Take a good look at it as well. It is a growing and blooming machine and the bush gets very large and wide and is loaded with wonderful yellow/red blended blooms. It is the favorite mini of most visitors to my garden.
    John

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I have only one miniature, an impulse purchase, since my main interest is antique roses. It appealed to me, however, since it had a rather old rose shape. Its name is Mistral and it has many petals, which turn pink around the edges as the bloom ages. The bush has stayed very small so far.

Ingrid

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

I have two yellows I'm partial to and a yellow/pink blend I really enjoy. The first is the same as Kate, Buttermint. This rose may not have great form but it is an energetic bloomer and it always has a few blooms to all in bloom. Currently this bush is around 4' tall or so. Pretty buttery blooms. It's one of the first in the spring and it'll be the last to quit in Dec.
    {{gwi:255050}}
    The next is Cal Poly, bright yellow blooms, the same a few to all in bloom, bold unapologetic, not great form but energetic blooming. This bush is over 3-1/2' tall and is usually peeking behind one of my other bush pics in the large garden. I also have the climber that has come back from the roots three times, I've accidentally 'killed' it. I made the shade for the pic, both these roses grow in full sun and Cal Poly is a bright yellow.
    {{gwi:255051}}
    Last is Dancing Flame, this also flushes fast and usually has a few blooms in between on it. It was well over 3' tall but it was so bloom heavy that I did some pruning on it last night when I deadheaded.
    {{gwi:255052}}
    Rose bed pic, Dancing Flame is on the lower left above the pink bush and part of Buttermint is showing at the upper middle left. The lower pink bush didn't like the home made soap treatment I used for aphids. Won't do that again.
    {{gwi:255053}}
    That's a few of mine anyways:)
    Leslie

• BecR
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! Thank you for all of your responses, and especially valuable are the lovely photos some of you posted!!! Those are some truly lovely roses Randy and Leslie! I've made a list of all those mmentioned, and will look them up on HMF. By the way, I forgot to mention, something that will stay below 3 feet would be best in this case. Keep 'em coming.
    Was at Target yesterday and Rainbow's End jumped into my cart, though when I got it home it is too bright/orangey for the location (next ot Baronne Edmond de Rothschild and Souvenir de Malmaison). Becky

• markiz37
    15 years ago

Painted Moon is a small Hybrid Tea [2feet]. I spray weekly and it stays clean.

{{gwi:255054}}
    Lana

• phil_schorr
    15 years ago

My first suggestion was going to be Rainbow's End. It is a great rose. Autumn Splendor is also great, but it is even brighter than Rainbow's End.

Erin Alonso is a very nice clear yellow. Luis Desamero is another clear, paler yellow that does very well.

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

I thought about Rainbow's End too, but it's a yellow blend with red edges and it does have an orange shade to it for me at certain temps. When it's pretty warm it does not.
    {{gwi:255055}}
    You may be more pleased with your Rainbow's End with it the longer you have it. It'll change colors sometimes at the end of the day and with temp changes, when it's hot or it's cool, you may find a different hue on yours.

I also like Autumn Splendor, a friend has taken some awesome pics of that rose.
    Leslie

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

I strongly recommend Sweet Diana. Stays around 2 ft, strong golden yellow, blooms a lot, and almost no disease at all, even with no spraying. Sorry, but I don't have a pic, but I got it at Nor'East several years ago and it has proven itself a winner in my garden.

Kate

• diana_noil
    15 years ago

I second Sweet Diana.

I bought it because, well, my name is Diana and I wanted a yellow. This is one of the situations where an impulse buy surprisingly becomes one of the best in the garden. It blooms and blooms, very healthy foliage and growth with no spray in my garden as well. I also ordered it from Nor East but just last week I saw Menards, which is a local Midwestern hardware chain, had it as well. I mentioned to the manager who was standing near by that I had it in my garden and it was a great mini rose plant and she said two other people had told her the same thing and they had only put them out a few days earlier.

• studaddy
    15 years ago

I like Buttercream, Ty, and Abby's Angels. I agree also that Autumn Splendor is a great rose!

• mike_in_new_orleans
    15 years ago

Hmm...., I can think of several I'm curious about; haven't grown yet. For example: Luis Desamero, Yantai, Ty, Buttermint, and Aberlady. Actully, Luis D is on my short list for my next order.

There's a difference to me between pure yellow, a yellow blend, and yellow"-ish," which are those roses that can't seem to decide if they're apricot or yellow.

Of pure yellow, the Pete and Kay Taylor mini Good Day Sunshine has done very well for me for several years. Terrific bloom form. Blooms in clusters and individually. Bright clear medium yellow, just a shade paler on the petal margins. It is one of the earlier roses to bloom each year and basiclly doesn't stop until hard frost (which we don't get here). No fragrance, but the bloom form is very good. Grows to about 3 feet tall and bushy. Unfortunately, I don't know anywhere that it is available for purchase anymore. : (

I really like my Double Gold miniflora, one of those "yellow-ish" roses. It's definitely fragrant, and the blooms are terrific. But like Sweet Diana, not so good for cutting because of those short stems.

Bees Knees has to be at or near the top of my yellow blend list. Great form, prolific bloom, and a healthy bushy garden plant. I assume Erin Alonzo would be pretty much the same but in pure yellow.

I briefly had a Butter Cream rose from Rosemania that had the most stunningly perfect miniflora form I think I've ever seen. I got it in December 2 years ago. It came with a bud already on it, and that bloom lasted over 2 weeks and kept its gorgeous exhibition form throughout. Unfortunately, I had it in a pot and someone walked off with it right at Mother's Day time. Nice sentiment, huh? "Here Mom! I STOLE you a rose in appreciation for all you did to raise me with good values!!" The rose had given me only 3 blooms by that time, but they were all impeccable and long-lasting. The plant was, of course, very young, so I imagine a mature plant would bloom much more. Anyway, I haven't yet replaced it, partly because Double Gold is similar in color and has the added quality of fragrance, and I don't have much space.

I also have a Dancing Flame that is very nice and promising, but its also young and not filled out yet, nor particularly prolific, so I'm reserving judgment for another year or two.

A few I can recall I've had but didn't hang onto for various reasons include:
    Y2k--killed by Hurricane Katrina, another compact plant with short stems but intensely yellow with just a touch of red edges;
    Rainbow's End--a classic, but for me it was too blackspot-prone, so I tossed it after 3 years;
    Fairhope--practally white, its so pale, but classed as a yellow. It is a top exhibition rose but not as high-centered as I prefer nor quite enough petal count;
    Sweet Diana is pretty and a good bloomer. But to me the form is good but not exhibition-great, and the stems tend to be short. But short stems can be nice for potted patio roses, as they keep the plant looking compact. It doesn't fade much, which is nice.
    June Laver is another one with short stems. Beautiful form and I love the tawney gold color, but it didn't bloom enough for me--runty plant.
    Autumn Splendor--intensely vibrant, but I thought it almost garish at times, it stood out so much. I have often considered replacing it. John's comments have me thinking I might have been too hasty getting rid of it. I do that, because I have such limited space and am always curious to try new varieties. sigh...

...boy to I ever ramble when I've got time on my hands. lol

Mike

• BecR
    Original Author
    15 years ago

More great suggestions, thanks everyone, am looking them up left and right on HMF!!! :)

I am narrowing it down, think what I would really would like is a pure clear yellow or yellow/pink blend (not too bright, not too pale, def no reds, oranges, golds or apricots), under 3 ft. tall, with good form that can stand up to the heat and full-sun here in inland Southern California.

Another question~ does anyone grow the Sunblaze roses? How do you like them?

How about Meilland's Yellow Sunblaze aka Yellow Meillandia, which is a pink/yellow blend--HMF says it has strong fragrance and is in the top 20 for shows!

Then there is Sun Sprinkles, a 2001 AAARS winner. Anyone grow this one, and how do you like it???

Ok, I know 'Sun Flare' is a floribunda, some say it is very similar to the floribunda'Sunsprite'~ anyone grow these? What size do they get, how do you like them, and which is the nicer rose of these two??

Thanks so much everyone! Your help and input is very much appreciated!! Please keep 'em coming.

:D Becky

• phil_schorr
    15 years ago

Oh, since you are in Southern California another nice yellow mini is Behold. It does far better in your area than anywhere else in the country. And there is a new sport of Behold that basically is just a larger version called Lo & Behold. I think either of them would do very well for you in your area.

• peter_rabbit
    15 years ago

Erin Alonso and Bee's Knees are the best. Grows like a weed. Beautiful show form.

• BecR
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone, for all of the great recommendations! Erin Alonso sure is a beauty on HMF! :) Becky

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    15 years ago

Becky, I got princess at a local show with Erin Alonso last year.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Mistral is the only miniature rose I have and it's a pure, clear yellow that takes on a pink tinge on the outside as it ages. It has many petals, sort of like an old rose in miniature. The blooms last forever on the plant and indoors and the bush stays small. I'm in a hot inland location and this little rose is doing very well.

Ingrid

• jmac_2008
    15 years ago

I like Golden Sunblaze by Meilland. It's a short mini great for a low border and has large bright yellow blooms that don't fade. A hardy plant too.