Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Transplanting/dividing in fall_LONG

greyandamy
12 years ago

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, it does to me. There's a tremendous amount of perennnials that will need moved, divided come EARLY spring or FALL (We're not into autumn yet!)...The crazy daisys are one as I keep staring at them through the window.

I read in a "helpful gardening guide" (smile) as to when to move/divide when. They say with dasies (crazy shastas) to wait until spring. Can it be done in fall? I don't know what their roots are like?

I have short shastas that I've moved in late spring, early summer without much distress, but those were different kind.

Does anyone... not look forward to... the dividing or more so, moving to give "elbow space" to perennials that have decided over the years to outgrow their spots?

Astilbes, they've taken over... I read they can be moved in fall. I always keep in shade as they need so much water (then again, they are over roots)... I read you can grow in part sun or even sun with lots of water... do any of you grow in sun? I'm a zone 6er, PA.

Blackspot roses, from seed, used to be mini's, the blackspot is now fading but is it worth it? I'm too lazy to try to treat with the "treatments"... must you do a thorough fall cleanup underneath? So tempted to yank, but..

I have a ton of what I thought were virginia bluebells. Pretty blue flowers early spring, looked like bluebells. They were placed around (shade), they bulked, then picked up and are huge...taking over. But I read that virginia bluebells go dormant shortly after bloom, by summer. These aren't dormant, at all. Should they be? They have green, not unattractive, but kind of jaggy (like course hairs) rounded leaves. I'm tempted to move them to more sun, maybe I babied too much. IF that's what they are... I pray they aren't pretty blue weeds. I can't find a GOOD picture of their foliage, just their flowers.

LIke I've seeen in some of your threads, I'm tired by now... but some say they get a pickup (energy?)come fall? I Hope!

Sorry for this being so long

Amy

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

in my z5 MI ... i can move things fall or spring ... presuming a good watering.. and mulching ...

with a pitchfork.. you can take half a plant.. and leave half.. and that is a good way to learn ...

if something is spreading wildly.. i suggest you simply get rid of some of it .... if it is stating to take over.. why move it around.. so it will take over more ... and if you dont like how aggressive it is.. then get rid of it all ... NO GUILT ...

the problem with leaving it all for spring.. is what happens.. if you dont want to do it then .. i live that every year.. lol ... and nothing gets done.. lol ..

get out in the COOL fresh air.. do some things... get some excersize ... and do as much as you can.. and then declare victory.. and do the rest in spring...

with the coming of fall temps.. etc.. you will get another surge ... rather than 100 degrees in August.. sept/oct.. is a great time to play in the garden ...

ken

• WendyB 5A/MA
    12 years ago

the blue flowers might be forget-me-nots. I think they are biennials. THey spread easily by re-seeding themselves. I have a patch of pink ones that I love. I scratch out seedlings when they wander too close to other plants.

I grow Astilbe in full sun in a bed that has very rich heavy soil. They do awesome. I only water that bed in periods of drought.

I am usually torn by the neat-controlled look and the wild-crowded look. I go back and forth depending on my mood. I will do editing spring or fall if I am motivated enough that something must be moved. Otherwise procastination takes over and I learn to appreciate the wild-crowded look - LOL

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

Amy - I go walkabout my garden every morning/afternoon and mentally move plants around for a more pleasing appearance. I figure that at some point I'll find the time to actually, physically move them but I don't let it stress me out when the seasons pass and nothing has changed. With a garden, things grow and change at their own pace so I don't worry that it's not 'picture perfect.' Maybe someday it will please the eye, maybe it won't, but whether that happens is secondary to having a garden where I have the option to change it any way I like.

Re the astilbes: I grow them in groups of three plants, all in part sun. They get midday sun but morning and afternoon dappled shade. As long as I keep them watered, they do fine. I wish they bloomed longer but they're still one of my favorite perennials.

My Virginia bluebells are gorgeous in spring but by the end of May they've completely disappeared and there's no trace of them. I'm wondering if what you've got is something other than VBB. Here's what mine looked like this year:

{{gwi:220621}}

{{gwi:268862}}

{{gwi:268863}}

Whenever I start feeling like all I do is garden, I stop and back up a few steps and think about how much I enjoy gardening and why. I hate the heat and the bugs and the aching muscles and don't particularly enjoy watering during dry spells but it's all part of the experience. I just put up with the bad because the good brings me so much pleasure & satisfaction.

• gailwrite
    12 years ago

I move shastas anytime from mid-August on, give them a little food and lots of water. most of them make it just fine, I think the ones that don't have gotten shorted on water.

• cheleinri
    12 years ago

The bluebells may be spanish bluebells rather than virgina bluebells.

• terrene
    12 years ago

Spanish bluebells (Hyacinthoides hispanica) go dormant also, so I don't think they're Bluebells.

There's a general rule of thumb that you move or divide fall bloomers in the Spring, and spring bloomers in the fall. Many perennials can be moved during either season though. Generally it's best that they be as close to dormant as possible.

Even in the more mature gardens, there's ALWAYS stuff I want to move around. I seem to do a ton of transplanting every Spring and fall. It's nice when things slow down during the summer.

• jaco42
    12 years ago

I tend to move perennials whenever I have the time. Keeping them watered until they are established. The plant you describe sounds like a brunnera. Just a thought. Hope all goes well with the plant moving.

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Pulmonaria, maybe? But generally they have silver/grey spots or blotches in the leaves.

Karen

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Can you post a picture of your flowers in question?