Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanttogarden

Online nursery to buy Perennials for West Coast

wanttogarden
16 years ago

I am in Northern California. I need to do some online shopping for other stuff than roses, things like clematis, Butterfly bush, Saliva, bulbs, etc. Can someone recommend a good online/catalog nursery which carries good quality plants for this region. It would also be helpful if they have a informative catalog too.

Thanks,

FJ

Comments (17)

• katefisher
    16 years ago

FJ.

You have given me some good advice on other topics in the past so let me weigh in on this one. We are not too far from one another. I live in Quincy, CA. In the past I have purchased from Forest Farm nursery up in Oregon. The first two seasons I was quite happy with them but my order last year was a major snafu. In short the plants were unacceptable but getting any attention to my problem was hopeless. My many phones calls fell on deaf ears.

Finally I went to Dave's Garden and posted some negative feedback. I hated to do it but was really at the end of my tether. I don't like being ignored. Well the day after my feedback was posted the owner called me and was then all apologies and could they refund my money and blah blah blah. The thing that really chapped my hide was that he made it very plain the only reason they were accomodating me was so I would modify my feedback. They did give me a refund. And I ddid change my feedback. But I would not go through all that nonsense again for any plant.

I tell you this as some will suggest Forest Farm as a good option for gardeners in our area and I wanted to you have both perspectives on buying from them.

Hope this helps.

Kate

• ceterum
    16 years ago

You will get much better advice from 'locals' in CA but till they show up; let me start.

I ordered quite a few clematis from Chalk Hill Clematis nursery. They are in California - shipping their plants here to the east coast is murder to my gardening budget but it probably would not be that bad for you. Maybe you are in luck and live close enough to drive there.

There is a nursery specializing in tuberous begonias in CA, I think their name is Antonelli. They also sell other plants; mostly tropicals but they did have fuchsias as well in the past.

Check out Washington State nurseries: they are usually offer very good quality plants (I ordered Japanese persimmon trees from there). I doubt that it would be difficult to find butterfly bushes in CA or Washington State - around Seattle they grew everywhere in public areas; in British Columbia they were all over on the side of highways.

Joy Creek nursery in Oregon has almost everything you mentioned, buddleia (butterfly bush), clematis, salvia and so forth. A lot of things will be sold out this time of the year but still worth checking them out.

You live in or close to nursery paradise. Very often when I look for an unusual plant, the nurseries carrying the given plant are in the west coast.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joy Creek nursery.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Ceterum, Butterfly Bush is a Class C Noxious Weed in Washington, Class B in Oregon.

I've had only good experiences with Forest Farm, including this year when they called me before shipping to see what my local weather was doing before packaging my shrub, concerned it may be too hot.

Joy Creek is excellent too. Look up Digging Dog, they have some interesting choices available there.

I've had good experiences, healthy plants from Gossler Farms, also Greer Gardens....both Oregon and they ship.

• sue9norcal
    16 years ago

Annie's Annuals right here in the Bay Area of Calif. is a favorite, lots of salvias and all kinds of perennials and annuals, things you never even have heard of, things you didn't know you needed.. Check their This Week's Availability list first and when you get a chance, the rest of their listings. You can add things to your wish list and they email you when they become available. It's the only one I can think of right now as I do all my plant shopping by nursery hopping far and wide, including Annie's.
    Any mail order nursery should always be checked on the Garden WatchDog on Davesgarden.com. It can save you a headache.
    You can also go to an affiliate of Dave's Garden, Gardens.com http://gardens.com/ and plug in your zip code for local nurseries in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Annuals

• nastarana
    16 years ago

I also have had good experiences with Forest Farm. Annie's Annuals expects me to pay $12. per plant to ship from thier bay area location to the central valley, and that was before the recent rise in fuel prices. No Way!

• sue9norcal
    16 years ago

I don't think it was $12 per plant. From their website:

Shipping Charges

UPS Ground shipping *
    UPS 2nd Day Air **

$.01 to $50.00 -- $12.95* or $27.95**
    $50.01 to $75.00 -- $17.95* or $35.45**
    $75.01 to $95.00 -- $22.95* or $42.95**
    $95.01 to $150.00 -- $27.95* or 50.45**
    $150.01 and up -- add 20%* or add 20% + $25**

*CA, WA and OR are always shipped UPS ground.

**Ground shipping also available to CO, AZ, NV, NM, UT,
    ID, WY, and MT, but it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
    that during the hot weather months of the year (May through
    August) that you choose 2nd Day Air. If during these months
    you choose to ship ground, we cannot guarantee their safe
    arrival.

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

Diggin Dog in Albion. They have high quality unusual plants. If you are anywhere near there they're open on the weekend. Also Hortus Botanicus. Owner Ron Goldman is an excellent plantsman. His selection is very interesting. I like Annies too but these places better.

• katefisher
    16 years ago

FJ.

My above post was a bit of a rant. So let me tell you something actually helpful and say if you are ever up near the town of Paradise there is an amazing place called Mendon's Nursery. That place is so huge that when we go my husband and I stay in touch by cell phone otherwise there is just no finding each other.

Great fun.

Kate

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Ceterum, Butterfly Bush is a Class C Noxious Weed in Washington, Class B in Oregon.

I am not surprised. I could make up a nice long list of obnoxious weeds for NC - most of those (and, with a bit of exaggeration, only those are sold here in nurseries, because they are 'easy'. Duh.

• wanttogarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for recommendations. I will sure check them out.

FJ

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Bluestone Perennials is in Ohio, I think, but I've had very good luck with their plants.

Also Maryott's for Daylilys--they send large plants at good prices.

• jannorcal
    16 years ago

I have ordered from Forest Farm twice and been satisfied each time.
    Have ordered from Bluestone several times and had great success - not sure if they are still doing fall shipping. If not, be sure to order early in spring before the heat comes as they do ship ground from Ohio.

Canyon Creek is a California nursery that specializes in salvias and violets.
    Have not tried them yet, but plan to next spring.
    May want to check out their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canyon Creek nursery

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Siver Star Vinery in Yacolt WA for Clematis. Less expensive and bigger plants than Joy Creek.

Edelweiss Perennials in Oregon for rare and unusual perennials.

Brent and Becky's Bulbs are fabulous. They aren't local but their shipping is reasonable and their quality and selection the best.

Buggy Crazy has a ton of lilies.

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

I'd forgotten all about Canyon Creek. I once heard the owner speak at a conference. I liked him and the nursery seemed really interesting.

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

I've had such wonderful success with Klems Song Sparrow Nursery. It's in the midwest, but their plants are huge and healthy and they ship them so carefully and so well that they are in perfect shape when they arrive. Although they specialize in peonies, they also carry a number of other perennials. They were highly rated in 'Dave's Garden' website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Klems Song Sparrow Nursery

• ceterum
    16 years ago

I am not surprised. I could make up a nice long list of obnoxious weeds for NC - most of those (and, with a bit of exaggeration, only those are sold here in nurseries, because they are 'easy'. Duh.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

If you don't insist on mail ordering exclusively from California nurseries but want some not-so-common unique salvias, check out Richard F. Dufresne's list of salvias - he has everything and if you notify him on time he will propagate plants for you if he does not have them in stock.

He ships, as I remember, 3 inch pot plants but they take of fast.

Here is a link that might be useful: A world of salvias