Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnelweb

Clematis glycinoides

funnelweb
14 years ago

C. glycinoides is an Australian native variety grown from the cooler temperate climates through to, well, about the cooler areas of US. zone 10. I live in northern New South Wales, Australia, on the border of zones 9 and 10 and have one growing as a ground cover under light shade. It's doing quite well. I'm looking to transplant it this winter to grow on an archway in full sun. Has anyone had experience growing this variety and have any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Not that I am any clematis authority, but this is the first I've ever heard of this species :-) And it is not mentioned in any of my clematis texts. From what I did find, it does not appear to be the slightest bit common in the US, perhaps because of a rather limited hardiness range (USDA zone 9 was listed as the lower limit).

It does resemble Clematis armandii to a degree, at least in foliage and bloom time but the flowers look a lot more skinny and delicate. Is it fragrant? The literature suggests it is a big, woody vine, much like armandii, so I'd wonder how easy it may be to transplant. Not an easy nor very successful task with an established one.

• bcollingwood
    14 years ago

It would be really interesting to see photos of this plant in flower, if that is possible in due course I'd be very grateful!

• funnelweb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello gardengal48 and bcollinwood. GG48(excuse abreviation) I seem to recognise your pseudonym, perhaps from 'Name that Plant'. No, it's hard to find in the Clem. texts, as are some of the other Aussie varieties. It has no fragrance; it grows to about 2.5 metres, so it isn't a big flower type; and as I've already transplanted it once, about 18 months ago to a less shady spot - cautious transplanting doesn't seem to bother it, and this summer it flowered nicely in its slightly sunnier possie. It seems to be just as hardy as any other clematis. 'bcollingwood' here is a link (I hope) http://morwellnp.pangaean.net/cgi-bin/show_species.cgi?find_this=Clematis%20glycinoides. Like C. Aristata, it is no scene stealer like the jackmanii hybrids, but it's white clusters are very eye catching. I'm looking for advice from an experienced grower of this variety before I again transplant it, I know, I'm a bit of a transplant-a-holic!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

funnelweb, the sources I found online seem to contradict your experience. They indicate it was a large growing vine (8-10 meters or 25-30 feet, very similar to C. armandii) and that it was tender, zone 9 being the lower limit. Is that not correct?

Brian, I found these photos of the vine in bloom:

{{gwi:576524}}

• funnelweb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Gardengal, I think you're more nearer the mark, though I 'Googled' the name and the first site on the list indicates 15 metres but the next 2 sites show 2.5 metres! Talk about the experts not getting things right. I've had my plant about 3 years, and in the active seasons it never got beyond about 2.5 metres, however, on a frame and some more sunshine I reckon it'll get much bigger. Also, I checked up on my reference manual, 'Australian Native Plants', a respectable tome, and they say its distribution is from Victoria (way down south), New South Wales and on to Queensland. That range is broadly from cool temperate to tropical. I'm about borderline warm temperate/cool subtropical, that's why I reckon I'm about US zone 9.5 to 10. It also suggests it is fairly hardy! As a Canadian friend of mine would say "Go figure!" The picture above seems to be from that second (or third) Google site, which suggests 2.5 metres. I think I'll dig it up in June anyway, divide it if it looks divideable (divisable) as I'd like 2 and see how I go from there. Thanks Gardegal and Brian, I appreciate your interest and comment.
    regards.
    Bill (my real name)

• miyagii
    13 years ago

I've been looking up C. glycinoides today as it is now in flower again in this area on the far south coast of NSW. It scrambles as a groundcover here as much or more as it climbs on shrubbery, in the understory of open woodland and on roadside verges, to about 2 metres. So it is an ideal one for people who don't want a thug.
    The climate here is very mild, virtually frost free winters and not much excessive summer heat either.
    It is very pretty and eye-catching in its season, presenting as a airy cloud of white crosses. The picture above looks accurate. It is in fact fragrant. One plant I found had 4 cm flowers but not much fragrance, another small flowered and quite richly fragrant with a scent like honey and lemon. The foliage is like armandii, but tidier and less aggressive - the sort of foliage that could easily disappear into other plants when not in flower.