Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitova

what're your results? pruning group 2s after bloom in colder zon

kitova
15 years ago

hi guys, just reporting back about my pruning experiments from summer 07 and spring 08. here's the old post:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg061116226422.html

as a recap, i was trying to determine whether i would get a second bloom if i pruned right after the first flush of flowers. how did everyone else do with this? entling from IL? eden in ME? janetpetiole?

i pruned in mid summer after the first flush of flowers:

nelly moser - in full sun, some growth / no rebloom in 07. but going really strong this year (buds opening now)

multiblue - in part sun, no new growth / no rebloom in 07. sulked this spring and will likely bloom late.

ramona - in part sun, pruned after bloom in 06, no growth / no rebloom in 06, sulked and scattered blooms 07, going strong this year 08 after a strong pruning to the ground.

i did no extra watering except if it hadn't rained in 2 weeks, and we put down fresh compost every year when our compost pile is cooked (usually early july).

Comments (7)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

You might have had better results if you fertilized and watered extra after the pruning. I certainly have.

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

I had a few scraggly flowers on multiblue, but they were on the oldest stem, not the ones I cut. It did get some new growth and it set a few buds, but that was right before it snowed.

• kitova
    Original Author
    15 years ago

correction: i did water and fertilize right after pruning, then nothing extra besides watering in dry spells and compost in july.

think i'll get better results if i just hard prune to the ground every year or do the graduated 3-level pruning that i think janet, you mentioned..

the growing season in my micro-neck of the woods must be too short or too harsh..

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

I hard pruned 4 of my type 2's late winter to the ground for the first time. They were 10 years old and had bare legs. I wanted to encourage new shoots and lower blooms. Only 1, Wada's primrose is blooming ok. I don't think Nelly Moser, Marie Bouselet or General Sikorski will bloom well until next year. They only have 1 bud. Maybe I will get more blossoms later in the season. I think for me in my northern climate cutting them back is going to cause me to loose a year in blooms. It will probably be worth it in the long run, as I will have a shorter, more compact plant that will bloom lower for years to come.

• eden_in_me
    15 years ago

I didn't do any drastic pruning. Most of my clems are quite new. Of the older ones, I trimmed Asao back a little, and got one flower on August 26th. Marie Boiselotte had 3 flowers on 8/6. 07 was the first year Sugar Candy bloomed in early July. I think I just deadheaded the two flowers, and got another one on 10/22.

All of these are growing great this year. I'll probably be a bit more daring this year, as many of the newer ones are in the leap year.

Marie

• kitova
    Original Author
    15 years ago

marie, are yours in full sun?

flowerfan, are you no longer in WA? one of my sweet autumns gave me a cold shoulder this year because hubby went out and pruned it in december. it's only just sending out 1 ft shoots now. don't know whether i'll get any blooms but the season is long and sweet autumn is a thug. i also pruned a type 1 blue bird this year sacrificing blooms but like you, i'm hoping for a bushier plant.

nelly is peaking right now altho blooms aren't uniform, a bunch at the top (where the new growth happened last year) and a bunch at the bottom. nothing in the middle, lol. at least dr. ruppel is in between and fills the gap nicely...

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Cutting my older than five years old Type IIs almost to the ground resulted in many more blooms that year and the second year many many more. They don't look like the same plants. They had scraggled along year after year with bare legs and a few flowers on top. Now they have foliage from the ground, dozens more stems and hundreds of buds.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH