Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ariesf5

Sticky situation

ariesf5
17 years ago

oki, I have had a Pink Eureka Lemon and Bearrs lime for about 4 months now. Close to three weeks ago, I went out and found scale on my poor babies. I have been picking them off and squishing them when I find them, but wanted to do another extra step. I bought Organicide. It's a sesame oil and fish oil product. I sprayed them, paying close attention to the underside of the plants. The smell wasn't too bad, but they are quite sticky.

I have to bring them in tomorrow night because the temp is goin into the 30s. How long will they stay sticky? This is an organic insecticide, and not a foliar fish feed. Has anyone had experience with this product? Another thing, is it too late to put new fertilizer into the pots if I will be bringing them in for the winter? And what do you suggest?

Here is a link that might be useful: Organicide

Comments (3)

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

The Organicide sounds like a good product. I've never used it, but I do use Fish Emulsion which can leave foliage sticky..it doesn't last too long..
    Do you mist/shower plants? If so, by doing this Organicide should eventually wash off, BUT, don't hose off until all sign of scale's gone. There may be info on the container advising when you can hose off plants. But please follow container directions.
    BTW. scale leave a sticky residue, so are you sure it's not the scale that caused this problem or did it happen after you applied the Organicide?

I give my citrus a last feeding in Oct (when they come indoors) using Osmocote. It's supposed to last 3 months. I also use Fish Emulsion as an insect repellent and foliar feed. You can also use a 3 month Citrus ferilizer..Toni

• slim7309
    17 years ago

Hello, on your lemon tree- get a spray bottle & dilute alcohol & water an spray your tree it will kill the scale's & won't harm the tree - or you can use diluted Windex -I had them bad one year & I was told to get rid of my tree & I said nope my tree staying wit me & that's when I was told about the Windex- My old tree lives on my bay window & I give it food when I think about it-I got 7 yellow lemons on it an 2 walnut size green ones an when I see the scale's I just spray with the windex/ water & my tree's over 50 years old. Have a Nice Day, Slim

• ariesf5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Slim,
    Thanks for the tip. I have my citrus inside now. The scale was never very bad... I think I had only around 20 on the tree, but I have been watching them. I squished them on the edge of the citrus pot... hopefully thier friends get the idea ^_^. Thanks for the windex tip. I think the organicide may be a bit heavy for the citrus leaves. This is almost a month out, and the leaves are still a bit sticky (and the trees were in the rain, are misted and such). They dropped a few leaves too, but that might be due to me moving them in a little late (didn't know cold nights caused leaf drop). It's great to get so much help, consitering that it's my first year with citrus. Thanks again.
    AriesF5

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH