Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

new cultivar conifer bed /post bomb pics (picture-dense)

dansgrdn
15 years ago

I described my current garden project recently as looking like a bomb went off during the process, and promised to post some pics, so here goes.

Armamentarium:

Shovels, spade and flat shovel

Wheelbarrow

Hand truck (dolly)

Level

Rubber Mallet

Heavy gloves

Weight belt (optional)

2.5 tons Chilton Dry Wall

1 ton Limestone screenings

Roundup

.5 tons Chilton steppers (flagstone)

conifers of your choice

This was a challenging project, because of the grade. Also, natural stone is a challenge in itself, because the stone I was using varied in thickness from between 3 and 5.5

inches. When I initially planted this bed it was primarily perennials, but when the conifer bug struck, I started adding conifers and it never quite looked right.

My hope of this project was to gain some continuity in this bed and to make a wall which kept the mulch from spreading down the slope.

Before, view from South:

Before, view from East:

Before, view from West: (after Roundup was applied to grass)

(Yep the bright green line is the cable line :-) )

Here are the results:

After, Southern view:

After, view from East:

(I decided to step the wall down rather than making it taller and less stable.)

After, view from West:

I'm going to plant some ground covers in the Spring to soften things up a bit, but overall I'm pleased. The back end of the bed is set aside for hosta seedlings I've been hybridizing, so it will be filled in soon.

I'll do a follow-up post with some close-ups of the conifers in the bed and a list of plants.

Dan

Comments (7)

• AlliYum
    15 years ago

Wow...it looks really nice! Did you have to dig up and replant the plants that were on the down side of the slope? What is the edging you used on the upside? It looks really nice. Congrats on a job well done.
    Traudi

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Traudi, the only plants that I dug up and replanted, that remained in the same bed were the Acer palmatum 'Orangeola' and the Pinus strobus 'KBN variegated' ( just realized that I left that off my cultivar list in post#2). The others were planted high and didn't require replanting with the extension of the bed. The edging is something I picked up at Lowes. I can't remember if it is fiberglass or composite/resin material, but it comes in 16' sections with stakes that it fits into. I would be completely sold on the stuff but it only comes in 4" thickness. If it were 6", I'd use it on everything. I'll have to wait and see if 4" is an adequate depth to keep the kentucky bluegrass at bay. Thanks alot for your response. I really appreciate it. Dan

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Absolutely fabulous Dan, and just think when your kids are past the slide stage you can put another island bed right on that spot.

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

Hi Dan,

It looks like you worked your rear off on this project. It is almost as much work mentally making something like this come together as it is a physical challenge. I am sure more islands are in the future as your plants out grow their areas.

Good effort...unique...with good presentation.

Dave

• tunilla
    15 years ago

Hello Dan.Great job...working on slopes is never easy if it's gotta stay natural.May I make a suggestion for softening-up stone walls? Sempervivums,those small clumping alpine succulent plants, do really well in cracks and pockets of dry stone walls (ore even cemented ones).I find them a colourful and absolutely trouble-free addition to any sort of rockery or other stone or brick creation.Their round shapes always soften-up the linear aspect of joints.Cheers! T.

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"just think when your kids are past the slide stage you can put another island bed right on that spot" bluespruce

Funny you should mention an island bed. That's my next project. The 'Whitespire' Birch to the left of the new bed in the second to last pic is going, and the new bed will extend from its spot to the Picea pungens 'Bizon Blue' to the left of it. The slide in the picture is my neighbor's, but we have one too. It's on the only flat spot in my whole yard and is the future site of a Koi pond. The triplets just turned 5, so it's at least another 5-7 yrs. out.Thanks for the compliment. I really appreciate it.

"It looks like you worked your rear off on this project. It is almost as much work mentally making something like this come together as it is a physical challenge" Dave

The most frustrating part of the project was having to do it a few hours at a time. I usually like to knock these things out on an at-home vacation in a few days. Next project will definately be during a vacation. It's alot more relaxing that way. Thanks for the nice comments.

T. I like Sempervivums too. Good suggestion. Thanks, Dan

• plantmarker
    15 years ago

Dan -

Can you please ID the cultivars in the sixth and seventh photos above?

Great looking artwork!

PlantMarker

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting