Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharbear50_gw

Sod for S Florida - Help!

sharbear50
11 years ago

I have a bare back yard and active dog. The dirt, the dirt, I can't take it anymore! What is a good sod to use for high traffic (dog)? I can water it daily. I don't care about color or looks as long as it covers the dirt my dog brings in the house. Any old field grass that will grow under these circumstances will do. Thanks in advance.

This post was edited by sharbear50 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 11:18

Comments (7)

• davidkinter
    11 years ago

I would recommend Bahia grass. It grows well in Florida soil, requires little upkeep, and is drought/traffic/bug resistant. It will also seed itself if you let it grow long for 3 or 4 weeks during the summer.

The downfall to bahia is that it grows very quickly. If you don't mow it every weekend during the summer it can be knee high in no time flat. It also gets Y shaped seed heads on it when it gets long which some people don't like the look of.

I would avoid St. Augustine because in my experience it is less traffic resistant and is a pain to get it to grow well without constant upkeep.

• sharbear50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah i did some research on Bahia and it seems there are some disadvantages to it, such as: The seed stems are tough and can wear out mower blades, requiring them to be sharpened frequently. Bahiagrass does not grow well in high-pH soils, such as those found in coastal areas, and therefore is not a good choice for these areas. High pH tends to cause yellowing of leaf tissue due to iron deficiency. Bahiagrass has few insect problems, but it is susceptible to mole crickets. It does not have good tolerance for shade, traffic, or saltwater. Bahiagrass grows in an open growth habit, which can result in weed encroachment into sparse areas. It has a coarse leaf texture and provides less cushioning for recreational activities than some other species. Bahiagrass does best in full sun.
    What about one of the Bermuda grasses?

• echobelly
    11 years ago

I planted Bahia sod all around my pool 3 years ago. None of it remains. It's been taken over by weeds, and the little left was torn up by the dogs running. I ended up replacing it with some beds of white gravel, and beds of bark chips with numerous potted plants on them.

• davidkinter
    11 years ago

I had it in Tampa and Jacksonville. Both places were within 30-45 minutes of the beach. We parked vehicles on it and the dogs dug holes and pooped all over the place. It continued on.

I still live in Jacksonville but at a difference place and I have St. Augustine now. Trying like heck to get it to grow in full and push the weeds out of the yard and it's starting to look like a losing battle.

• natives_and_veggies
    11 years ago

We have a Great Dane who is scared to pee on his walks, so he does it in the yard (yes, I know, it's kind of ridiculous to have a 140-pound dog who's scared to pee in front of strangers, most of whom are smaller than him. He's also scared of Chihuahuas. That's my dog.)
    Anyway, we reseed bahia every year as soon as it starts to rain regularly. It can't totally squeeze out the weeds in the winter, but it survives dog pee much better than St. Augustine and comes back from dog pounding when he runs around.
    Important caveat - if you mow it too low, it dies and does not come back. My husband borrowed our neighbor's lawn mower last weekend when ours died and he ended up mowing the lawn down to the dirt. That's never coming back. Bahia has to be kept to three inches or more. Mow it lower than that and you kill it.
    But, for a fraction of the price of sodding, watering, feeding and weeding, you can buy bahia seed each year in the late spring, throw it out one evening and have a nice lawn all summer and fall.
    I'm not sure what people with dogs do in the winter down here. We just let it go like we would up north.

• thetradition
    11 years ago

The Argentine variety of Bahia has fewer seed heads and the blades are thicker. Costs more, but it's better than the Pensacola variety.