Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Just when you thought it was safe to go out and garden...

hosta_freak
14 years ago

winter returns! We had 1 day of spring on Saturday,then rain Sunday,and today snow flurries! I had to run out and cover my montana Aureo,and Wolverine,who had eyes sticking up! I know,I know;ya'll up in the frozen tundra are saying"and your point is?" Well this is the SOUTH,and it is supposed to be spring;at least that's what the calendar says! Maybe this is the last blast from the frozen north,but I,for one,am tired of winter! Now ,that makes me feel better,to vent a little! Lol! Phil

Comments (7)

• ladywindsurfer
    14 years ago

Me too, Phil!
    Snow flurries here and temps in the mid-thirties.
    I have too many Hostas up to even consider trying to protect all of them, so they just had to shiver and make the best of it. Some of the Minis already have foliage.

I'm just glad we didn't get the winter storm that some friends and relatives in OK & AR received. 12-14 inches of snow and below freezing temperatures and they had been having springtime there also, with temps in the sixties.

• hostarhodo
    14 years ago

Okay now, come on confess, all of you, WHAT DID YOU DO TO ANNOY THE WEATHER GODS!!!!!

As I stated in the best place to live post, I have been out weeding, raking and burning brush. Nice enough today to burn, raining now. Best March here in years. And as you call us the frozen tundra, yeh "what is the point"? LOL

Remember Hosta are tough and a little bit of snow will only do them good. I bet your hosta this year will be the best yet. Don't worry, be happy. All the moisture in the ground. They say we are supposed to have a dry spring/summer here this year.

Now you can sympathize with what we usually go through, and whose to say, we will probably have snow in April. Won't be the first time. The only thing we cannot control is the weather, no matter where we live.

By the way, the golfers have been playing on the greens since last week. Sorry, just had to say that, they are such a happy bunch.

Betty

• paul_in_mn
    14 years ago

Phil, I think the snow is for taunting us northern peeps - lol. Hope you have a great summer in the garden.

"A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water." Carl Reiner

Paul

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Betty, you're funny. Hope your mild weather continues and your spring isn't too dry!

Paul, love Carl Reiner. That is a terrific quotation and new to me. Very very funny-I can just see him saying it!

I have been waiting for the ground to dry some before getting out. We had a beautiful weekend, but I resisted the urge to tramp around. Rained hard today. Hoping it dries out enough for me to get out there next week during spring break. Of course, if the past is anything to go by, it will turn quite cold again just when I am on vacation. Oh well, if it does, there is plenty to do inside, I guess-just not as much fun!

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not the first to call you the frozen tundra. If you watch pro football,you would know that they have been referring to Green Bay,Wisconsin'home of the Packers',the frozen tundra for years! Don't blame me! No,the snow won't hurt the hostas. A few years ago,it snowed on April 15th,and I had hostas hanging to the ground with snow on the leaves! They all survived. I'm just referring to the fact that we don't usually get snow here in March,but this is the second time it has snowed this March. It's supposed to warm up from now on,starting tomorrow. Actually,it looks like it is going to be a very good hosta year! BTW,I ran out and took off the boxes from those plants later on. It isn't the snow that hurts hostas,anyhow;it's the freezes. Sorry if I offended any of you snow birds.Lol! Phil

• hostarhodo
    14 years ago

Phil no offense taken here. I just think it is rather amusing when someone says frozen tundra.But I must confess that I do not know your weather changes as well. Watching the news and weather channels I gather that most of you have had a bad winter, worst than ours.

That is another thing we all learn on this forum. Some of you already have hosta coming up and by the time ours start yours are unfurled and showing off all their glory.
    Envy is bad, envy is bad. So we just have to wait our turn.
    But it is frustrating when our growing season is so short and that green thumb starts to throb.

So friend, may your snow be gone before long and your hosta grow slug free. Have a great growing season.

BTW had a deer in the yard the other day. Last year was the worst year for my hosta and deer.

Betty (No football here)

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about the deer,Betty. We have deer here in western NC,but,thankfully,not in my woods. An occasional vole may get in,and slugs were bad last year,but I keep my ammonia/water sprayer handy,and they are not usually a problem. Hope yoo all up 'nort have a good hosta season,too! Take care. Phil

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!