Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Time for 'What's your favorite this year', yet? (pics please)

Janice
15 years ago

I'm on the wrong computer to post my pics on this discussion! I need to upload them to Photobucket yet,

from the other one, but mine has to be either 'Jewel of the Nile' or 'Cutting Edge'---I think---so far!! And,

'Paradigm' and 'Blue Umbrellas' are really taking off this year, as well!!

How about you--what's your very favorite looking hosta this year-----so far (with pics. if possible)? :o)

Comments (43)

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

H.'Rhino Hide', this is not my photo since I have a young plant but is is the best hosta I've ever seen in my 35-40 years in the hosta world. Even this photo doesn't do it justice, one must simply see the plant. I wouldn't trade 10 H.'Stitch in Time's for one Rhino Hide, although SIT is interesting and cute.

Not many will talk about it because it is new, expensive and few have it but it is by far the best.

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aaahh, come on E.O.---show us what you got for your money--hmmm? :o)

• trilliumway
    15 years ago

My favorite is a tiny little guy named tok aureo-nebulosa. Such a long name for such a small guy. Just got him a few weeks ago as a one-eyed baby, planted him, got hit by hail, so he is pretty tattered looking. Still, love him though, lol. Sorry, no picture yet...

• paul_in_mn
    15 years ago

Christmas Tree decided to be a grownup this year. I was expecting a spurt so made additional room and have not been disappointed. This is a favorite of mine.

Paul

{{gwi:1043560}}

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Well,Janice I have a few for this year. One is the Parhelion,which is another post. But my favorite is Abiqua Moonbeam. It was a small plant planted just last year from Lowes,and it has grow to at least twice the size from last year! Phil
    {{gwi:1048645}}

• esther_opal
    15 years ago

One of my favorites this year is Heart and Soul.

Fairly small but neat and clean, since I've only had it in a pot it may not perform as well in the soil.

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

I don't know if she's my favorite, but after eight years of doing nothing, Mildred Seaver finally showed her stuff!
    Good girl, Millie!

But I think Blue Mammoth nosed her out a bit.

Lainey

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very nice folks--I can see why they are your favorites!!

I finally decided on one of the many pics. I've taken of my 'JON'--I love photographing it so much--here it is:

And here are a couple of my 'Blue Umbrellas' this year:

And of my 'Cutting Edge'--love this one so much:

In May:

And in June:

And today, in the wind:

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not to bump my own thread, but I ran across this pic. I took a month ago today and I just love it and the hosta! Apparently, 'June'
    is a favored one by most hosta folk, so I'm in good company with that opinion!

• jbranch
    15 years ago

My favorite is LS Dragonfly and Paul's Glory right behind.

{{gwi:365302}}

• paul_in_mn
    15 years ago

JBranch, both are gorgeous, can't wait for my LS Dragonfly to grow up.

HeyJ, love the June pic with lamuium peeking out.

Paul

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wonderful JBranch--I can see why you love those two!

Thank you Paul--I just love that one, with the Laminum--it just sets the June off nicely, I think!

Okay--I've decided---for me--this year---its my JON, hands down! I can't stop checking it daily and photographing it everytime it seems!
    Here's what I snapped today!!

And, this one---I really love this one with less lighting than the other shots I took:

It just seems to be PERFECTION in my garden this year!!!

• nchostaqueen
    15 years ago

Dawns Early Light

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW, NC--Queen!!! And, I also LOVE your rock edging!!! Wish I had access to rocks to do that in our yard!
    We did the landscape blocks out front, but I much prefer the look you have!!

Janice

• nchostaqueen
    15 years ago

Thank you Janice - we had this done for us in 2006. The rocks are from California according to the landscaper. Moss grows on the too.

We do have the blocks on the other side of the house where we plant vegies. But I really like the rocks much better.

Deb

• greenguy
    15 years ago

have not had any time for picture this year but this looked great last year and this year again

paradigm - a must have imo

• talynnp
    15 years ago

This is today's favorite, Maui Buttercups, but who knows what might catch my eye tomorrow!

Tanya

Here is a link that might be useful: Maui Buttercups

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know what you mean 'talynnp'--I was just going over some of my photos of this month and a pic. of 'Earth Angel'
    grabbed my attention and I was considering posting it here, and now I think I will!!! :o)

TODAY I love 'Earth Angel'!!!

• dansgrdn
    15 years ago

Hi Janice, Great pictures and fun topic. Love everybody's pics. I've posted most of my favs for this year but one that stood out while I was watering today was 'Heat Wave'. I love the substance of the leaves and I seem to gravitate toward mediovariegated hostas. Thanks, Dan

• Carole Westgaard
    15 years ago

Deb (nchostaqueen) - how old is your 'Dawn's Early Light'? It's beautiful and I'm nuts about those rippled edges - also looks like it'd be able to take sun all day???? The list just gets longer....

Westy

• nchostaqueen
    15 years ago

Westy - Dawn's Early Light is 2yrs old and gets full sun from about 11:00am on. It does turn a vivid chartreuse, starting about now with these handsome purple flower scapes. I'll have to take a pic this weekend and post. It's one of the best lookers I have found, just love it.

Deb

• papou
    15 years ago

At this time, Leading Lady is my favorite.

Papou

• papou
    15 years ago

Frosted Jade has grown beyon my expectations this year. It's becoming a favorite....

Papou

• papou
    15 years ago

Peter Ruh is a stunning hosta as it gains maturity....

Papou

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

Wow! Adding a few to my wish list.hehe
    Love the pictures guys.

This one is right out my front door..Love it.H.Old Glory

And one more but the picture just doesn't do justice to
    H.Hottsey Tottsey

• naal
    15 years ago

Yep, Old Glory has been excellent this year for me too; almost doubling in size since last year.

Here it is in May

And then in June

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm loving that 'Old Glory', you have and I've kept mine in a pot for two years, because I also love
    it in it's immature stage of growth!

I finally put it in the ground this year--and it's loving it--or I should say, the circumstance
    seem more favorable for it to 'mature'! ;o)

Here is what is definitely nudging it's way up to the top of my list of *favorites* this year!
    I hope to get my hands on another good size of it--this one being only one eye--or, actually,
    I've found that there is another small one coming out--see the smaller leaves there!:

I want to gaze on it all day--I love the rugosity (is that a word?) and the intense colors of it
    in my dappled sun situation, for much of the day!

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

You're hijacking you own post,Janice! Knock it off!! Lol!! Phil

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, Phil--not really--I'm a gal, and subject to changing my mind daily--doncha know? LOL
    Or should I have said, "I love hosta--and my love is fickle--daily loving one more than another, at times"?

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Good thing you don't feel that way about your hubby! Phil

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, Phil--that's for sure--he's a keeper!!! Always at the utmost top of my 'favorite husbands'!!!
    In fact, he's the only one I've ever had! LOL Guess that works out well! :o)

• donrawson
    15 years ago

Fantastic looking good this year. Don
    {{gwi:1043608}}

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don--I'll say it is! You are one to have very awesome hosta, too!
    I love, also, the little ones underneath! A great combo!!

• gardenandcats
    15 years ago

I love this one Sharmon

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gardenandcats--thank you for your posting and pic--but are you sure---about that
    name with that pic? ;o) It's a beauty, for sure!!!

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Looks like a Sagae to me! Phil

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Me too, Phil! :o)

• greenthumbz4mn
    15 years ago

I love this Hosta--Hypoluca. I know it's not a grand exciting speciman but I love the pure peace and serenity it exudes. And every year (14)

it never fails to grow to perfection. And it's never had a single slug bite!!! Mary

• paul_in_mn
    15 years ago

In honor of my wife, Pat, and our 29th anniversary Monday it has to be ...

Love Pat - as we're both starting to show a bit more character in our appearance
    {{gwi:1006312}}

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like it, too, Mary! I can see why it's your favorite! Thank you for sharing
    your picture--I've wanted to see a more mature specimen, like yours!!! Awesome!

I like solid colored hosta as well as the variegated in many instances.
    They give the *quiet pause* between the different variegated!! :o)

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Okay - I have really been mulling this question and I can finally answer it.....

My FAVORITE this year is........... ARISTOCRAT

• naal
    15 years ago

Well worth the wait, Caliloo. Need to get one of those - Just gorgeous!

• Janice
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Paul--your 'Love Pat' is beautifuf!! I love the way it angles and is so open!

Alexa--I'm so glad I finally got an 'Aristocrat' this year and your pic. confirms it to be a good choice!!!

Thanks everyone for posting your pics.--I hope there are more favorites coming, and you're allowed to
    change your minds as others move to the top of your list, daily!!