Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

Seedlings

hostahosta
9 years ago

After reading Irawons post about OP seedlings I thought I'd share what I've been doing with some of mine. I started seeing seedlings in my garden last year, they seem to all be blue/green. I've been experimenting with planting them in odd locations, like downed tree stumps. If they make it great, if they don't I'm not out an expensive hosta.

This first one I planted last year, so it made it over the very cold winter just fine. There wasn't much space to plant into, just stuffed in some planting media and compost. I imagine the wood holds on to moisture and as the wood decomposes, the hosta roots are finding a place to be.

Comments (12)

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had a bunch of logs from when the electric company insisted on downing an old pine tree near my lake. Hollowed out a hole in the top of this one and in went a seedling. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love to use natural things to landscape. Because its all free! Here is a shot of on aold tree stump, logs, stones. Love the mossy look to it all. Some seedlings in there too.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Why not use up those logs to pretty them up even more with seedlings! Good idea. And if they take off, imagine how nice it'll look in a couple of years. Hmmmm....now I have to go hunting my property for chunks of old wood and mossy stones......

Don't you just ADORE this Mud Maid - it's in the Lost Gardens of Heligan in the UK. A few hostas here and there and, perfection!

• hostacats
    9 years ago

I love your ideas with seedlings. I can't do this at home not enough room or old trees....but.....makes me think about the lake, lots of opportunities there!!

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just looked up the Lost Gardens. Wow, a place I would love to visit. How the heck do they do that?

• frogged
    9 years ago

This is the first year I have found seedlings, they are nothing fancy but Iam going to transplant them anyway.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Some of my seedlings from last season and never moved them yet. Not any mother plant near and basically were under a Patriot that is suppose to be a sterile plant, I was told. Just green but growing

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

These seedlings are under a 2nd season Blue Mammoth where I stuck the whole seed pod last fall. More on the other plants too but I think they are plain green so far.Tiny but growing

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have an 'Elegans' spreading seeds. Here are those fast growing blue seedlings on the left crowding out trays of other hybrid seedlings and recently bought plants. The trays stand on a pebble walkway. Bernd

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Wow almost hooked and frogger.......those tiny seedlings are cute. I probably have some, but as soon as I see green coming up I assume its a weed and pull it out. The one picture of froggers could be looked at as weeds if your not careful. Man maybe Ive been pulling out too soon. I will try and not pull out and put the dried scape in the ground under the plant too. Try and remember to leave little plants alone for awhile.

Michelle

• irawon
    9 years ago

Allmosthooked, I've had seedlings , which started out green become more blue with age. So those green seedlings under BM may become bluer with age because the wax producing the blue thickens with age.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hostahosta, nice ways to use natural elements to display your hostas. Please let us know how your seedling in the stump overwinters. You're up one zone from me.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm