Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

don r., Thanks for creating 'Rhino Hide'....

don_in_colorado
11 years ago

...It's a beautiful plant. Anyone else have a pic of their Rhino Hide? Let's see one bigger than my little fella...That shouldn't be too difficult...

Comments (27)

• donrawson
    11 years ago

I really just got lucky, Don, because I found it growing in my patch of Love Pat hostas. After close evaluation for several years, I realized it was somewhat unique with its heavy leaf substance and I finally registered it. I hope it does well for you in Colorado. Please post pics next year to show us how it's doing.

Meanwhile, I'd like to hear all feedback- both good and bad- from those who are growing Rhino Hide.

{{gwi:1091657}}

• donrawson
    11 years ago

Oops, here's the pic...
    {{gwi:1091657}}

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Mine got smaller and smaller last summer in the heat and drought, came up this spring and with this summer's heat and drought, completely disappeared. Not a sign of the crown or anything, just gone. Not a vole, no signs of a hole. Not sure I'm going to replace it. It was expensive and I don't know if it is worth it.

Sandy

• donrawson
    11 years ago

I'd like to replace it, Sandy. Send me your mailing address and I will send you another plant- either this fall or next spring- whichever you prefer.

• swed_hosta
    11 years ago

Rhino Hide is one of my favorites. It went from 1 to 6 shoots in 2 seasons in my garden. It has very neat clump shape, slightly cupped leaves, holds color very well. It grows in morning sun with dappled shade most of the day.

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Well, thank you, Don r, I truly didn't expect that! I would be delighted to accept, and try it again. I had high hopes for it as it had such good reports and I was really disappointed that it didn't do well. Other hostas in that bed are fine, it was just that one.

Maybe I'll try it in a different spot. Perhaps that wilkl make the difference!

Thank you again! I am emailing you with my address.

Sandy

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

Wow, after seeing your pix, Swed, Rhino Hide just zoomed to the top of my want list.

• dg
    11 years ago

Last Wednesday I ordered Rhino Hide (along with some others) from NH Hosta. I'm hoping they will ship Monday for delivery mid/late week. I'll post RH's pic here when they arrive.

I've wanted Rhino Hide for some time and had it on my Spring wish list from Hallson... but couldn't wait for some reason.... Good grief, I've been spending entirely too much time browsing this forum.

:-D
    Deb

• User
    11 years ago

It's one of my favorites too. Mine got a bit darker green because I had it in the shade, but it is in good shape regardless of the color.

I have newer photos, but I'm afraid to run any of them through my computer until I figure out what is going on with it losing my identity and not giving me access to my pictures and other personal files. At this time, I have Remedy #1 on trial, but lost all my bookmarks and passwords yada yada, do NOT want it to happen to my picture drive (external USB harddrive which I disconnected).

This is the latest Rhino Hide on Flickr. Note I included one in my gift order to my daughter-in-law, up in New Hampshire.

Note that I'll remove the "SLOW" designation from this guy, because it is already adding new leaves and is fairly perky to be so late in the growing season and such high humidity. We've had some hot weather, but nothing exceptional when compared to the midwest drought. At least we had regular rain, though not this week. And, I think this hosta is a Stealth, invisible to slugs. The two cutworms I found this week were on hosta within a foot of Rhino Hide, which had no damage, no sign of worms or slugs.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I am very pleased with my Rhino Hide, especially the white flowers. I would post a photo, but right now I am in Switzerland enjoying Lake Lugano, and cannot access my photos. Thanks, Don for a very fine plant!

-Babka

• peggy_hosta
    11 years ago

I bought one at the 2011 Mpls. convention. I don't remember which vendor I bought it from either. Did well that first summer but this spring (2012), it was nothing but a tiny leaf and then disappeared. I don't think that I had it planted too deeply and others close by are doing well.

• leafwatcher
    11 years ago

Mine is new this year, and a cute lil guy ! hahahha

Its coloration and substance sometimes makes it look almost soft or fuzzy, like a velvet weed.. maybe I am the only one to think that...

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Now how did that happen? I don't have a pic of mine. It's not setting the world on fire with growth rate but there are a couple of other hostas near it that look like Swiss cheese and it looks great.

• ademink
    10 years ago

JUST got RH, Don! Found it at a local nursery and I felt like I was buying a little friend since it's one of your "kids". :) Looking forward to watching it grow! I put it in a fairly sunny location to see if I can get it to really grow.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

I bought a one eye 'Rhino Hide' last summer because "Hey I practically know the guy......gotta have it!" It showed up with 4 eyes this spring - soon will be photo worthy, but pouring rain today and I'm not going out!
    Jan

• netcub
    10 years ago

I lost a large rhino hide that I purchased from a nursery in TN last fall... Believe it or not, its the only one that I lost... Good thing i had also purchased another from a seller on ebay... Have it planted in a very bright spot... probably over sunny, but its growing nicely, hasnt burned and doesnt have a single spot of bug damage on it... This is one hosta im super excited about...

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

I *just* put one in the ground a couple of weekends ago! It was on my list because of one the threads here last summer.

Just a babe (in all senses--lolz):

• dg
    10 years ago

Here's my Rhino Hide a few days ago. It was new to me last fall and overwintered in a pot in my unheated garage.

It is quite a bit larger than last year and the leaves are more rounded and thick. It seems to be pretty tough and I'm very happy I acquired it.
    :-)
    Deb

• dg
    10 years ago

deleted dup post

Deb

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by Dgregory on Tue, May 28, 13 at 15:43

• dg
    10 years ago

And yet another duplicate post...sheesh, how embarrassing!

Deb

This post was edited by Dgregory on Tue, May 28, 13 at 15:47

• dg
    10 years ago

Oh good Lord, sorry everyone.

Deb

This post was edited by Dgregory on Tue, May 28, 13 at 15:45

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My 'Rhino Hide' today. Don't be envious, guys, yours could still look like mine someday! ;)

Don B.

• weekendweeder
    10 years ago

Well, Don, on the bright side, it looks like yours will be tripling in size in the next few days. (Fingers crossed!)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exactly! It's growing, still alive, and the roots are good. Maybe it was just the messed up winter/spring weather that slowed it's growth some. I'm very happy to see the two other pips coming up.

Don B.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

My Rhino Hide is healthy and thriving this year! Thanks Don!

Sandy

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Mine is still a little TOUGHY !

It got a lot of heat last year, and is back for more. I really like the plant , and its cool the originator is around to see his plant when you post the pics.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

What is the mature size of this hosta? I picked one up at a nursery this year and am trying to figure out where to put it.