Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missflippins

A Pleasant Surprise

missflippins
16 years ago

Kordes 2005 ADR 'Grande Amore' is a very pleasant surprise. The picture in Kordes catalogue looked good, but I'm thrilled with the gorgeous blooms and the strong growth on this first year plant. Supposed to be very disease resistant - so far so good!

Grande Amore

{{gwi:217105}}

{{gwi:217108}}

Comments (13)

• snowheather
    16 years ago

Great pictures! I received Grand Amore from Palatine last fall and have encountered the same healthy and strong growth, plus bright blooms. In fact, mine is so tall, I have a hard time reaching it to deadhead. I expect the bloom size will increase in the fall, also.

Thanks for showing off Grande Amore - it looks like it will be a "great love"!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    16 years ago

Thank you for posting this. It is so pretty. I almost ordered it last spring, but next time I think I will. You will make me cry if you keep reminding me of how nice these are in PNW. I miss my garden out there too much. If you also have Ace of Hearts, Opening Night, Olympiad, or Liebeszauber, how does it compare with any of these?

• aprille
    16 years ago

Ohhh Grand Amore is very Beautiful.

Aprille

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

OH WOW, GORGEOUS! I especially like the second pic and keep trying to follow the perfect spiral in the center.

• missflippins
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bustopher, this is Grande Amore first year in my garden, so it's hard to compare it to those you mention. Leibeszauber does very well in the PNW as you probably already know. Opening Night is a favourite red for cutting because of the number of blooms it produces for me. Olympiad is a great rose, unfortunately it didn't like me or I didn't get a very good plant. I haven't had Ace of Hearts for years, but at one time it was popular here too.

Grande Amore seems to be quite weather proof as we have had a lot of continuous rainy days which tends to spoil so many blooms. I'm not happy with the rips in the petals, but there are some nice big fat buds that will open soon and I'm hoping they will be better.

Since it is quite new, I thought you all might like to see it tho. Thanks for looking.

• carla17
    16 years ago

missflippins, I like it. I usually don't like red reds but this one looks great.

Carla

• char_rose
    16 years ago

Beautiful blooms. Kordes does bred some very rain resistant roses.

Charlotte

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

that is a great picture of a pretty rose.

Sounds like it is very hardy---my kind of rose.

Florence

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

I am another one that don't care much for reds,but these photos are really nice.Looks like a real good red one.

Jean

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

I love the lighter and darker shades!!! How big are the blooms? Is there any scent? Such perfect form!! Bet you stare at those blooms forever!!

Carol

• missflippins
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, the blooms have been approximately 4 inches (10cm)on a first year bush. It is a tall grower even in our shorter growing season. A rose needs to have a very strong fragrance for me to say it's fragrant, so I would say Grande Amore has a slight rose fragrance.

• judith5bmontreal
    16 years ago

I keep saying I don't like reds, but it's pretty hard looking at those gorgeous pictures of Grande Amore....they are stunning!
    Judith

• bethnorcal9
    16 years ago

I'm with you Judith! I'm really not a real fan of the reds, but I did order one myself from Palatine this season. I haven't had as nice of blooms as yours Missflippins, but I'm sure eventually I will. I love the form and sort of scalloped edges. Those are some gorgeous shots!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!